Wading net help

swany50

swany50

Hi, I'm looking to buy a good fly fishing net. I've been out of the game for awhile but looking to start up again and do some fishing in the central and northeast parts of PA. I been looking and it seems the Bodin, Orvis & Fishpond nets get really good reviews but right now I can't afford them. Can anyone offer a suggestion(s) for any other brands that I could get that might be on the cheaper side but still be a decent net?
Thanks

I've had the cabelas rubber net for the last 5-10 years and it's done me well. I've netted just about every fish in pennsylvania with it, the rubber is easier on fish and easy to get flies out of. It's on sale right now for $20.

Thanks icyguides, I'll check it out

+1 on that I've had it for 2yrs no complaints

I think I have the same net (albeit purchased through a different channel, Sierra Trading Post, Cabela's version probably just doesn't have the Wetfly stamp). Description is the same, photos look the same, but $0.04 cheaper (or more, if you use one of their coupons, which will probably mean you have to buy some other stuff too) :)

I haven't spent inordinate amounts of time trying to unhook a hook from the rubber, like I did with my mesh nets of the past. That in and of itself is worth the $20.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wetfly-rubber-net-with-wooden-handle-small~p~5213w/

For the price, it works well enough. Some of the reviews lament it not being deep enough and someone claimed that the wood bent when they landed a 20"+ brown, but I netted a 22" brown with mine without bending any wood. The metal clip on my net broke, but I haul it around outside a backpack and probably knocked it against something somewhere along a trek.

I also have the medium size version of this net, that I haul around during night outings. I've only used the larger net once but it did make for an easier netting of a larger fish.

I agree with the above posts stating that you can be just fine with a $20 net... I have both a wooden handle nylon mesh net ($7.00 on sale from Cabelas) and a wooden handle rubber net ($20 on sale from ****s). I have had a few hooks caught in the nylon that were a PAIN to get out. The nylon bag is great cause it's light weight, the rubber bag is great for no tangled hooks but it's heavier.

I too have been eyeing up a Brodin net. There are two models on sale on mrfc.com for $59.95 and one for $54.95 right now. They are almost half-off but, I can't justify spending that much on either when I have two nets that are perfectly fine.

I have the Wetfly version of the aforementioned net. It came from on an online vendor on sale for 14.99$ - I think it came from The Clymb.com

Ive been using it for about a year. Great net for the price. No complaints from me.

Thanks for the heads up guys! I stopped by Cabelas on the way home from work this afternoon. They had the net in the store priced at $34.95. I told the guy in the store that I thought the net was on sale for $20. He looked it up and I bought it at the store this afternoon for $19.99 (online price). Looks like a good solid net. Now I just need to figure out a good magnetic release system to use with the strap on my pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SF-Fly-Fishing-Landing-Trout-Net-Magnetic-Net-Release-Holder-Cord-12-LB-2-6m-/121211092523?hash=item1c38be7e2b:g:IZEAAOSwl8NVfAcW

I have one of those on my nets, my old lady has one on her net, and my buddy has one on his net. Cheap. From China. But surprisingly not junk.

Also

I made something similar to this -

DSC_0659.jpg

out of nylon webbing strap and a welded ring to hook the magnet to. I like the bulk of the net to hang as high and out of the way as possible vs hanging by the handle. I also find it easier to reach for and grab the net when the handle hangs down vs the hoop.

If I remember, Ill snap a few pictures of what I did.

I too have the cabelas net.

Another plus of the rubber bag is that with a coupe good shakes it's pretty dry and my back doesn't get soaked.

I highly recommend rigging the release to the hoop of the net. It's easier to access while fighting a fish and also keeps the net from BWI tangled as easily.

laurelrun wrote:
I highly recommend rigging the release to the hoop of the net. It's easier to access while fighting a fish and also keeps the net from BWI tangled as easily.

Jim, interesting idea. Makes sense to me.

GenCon

+1 for rigging the release to the hoop. It's a lot easier to reach the handle and also allows me to attach the lanyard from the handle to the clip on the bottom of my sling bad.

I also seem to have a lot less trouble with the net hanging up on brush.

I think I'll be trying to figure out the Hoop rigging idea myself. Less swinging around will be huge, as well as easier to reach.

GenCon wrote:
laurelrun wrote:

Jim, interesting idea. Makes sense to me.

GenCon

I'll second this. Works much better.

Swany, send me a pm with your address. I have a new Cabela's net with the rubber basket. I've never used it, you can have it.

I got a magnetic release last year for Christmas. Zip ties the connecting clip to the hoop, then ran the bungee from the handle to a caribiner I clip to the back hook of my vest. Easy access and keeps the net up and out of my way and secured to me even if it does pull loose or if I drop it.

Sorry for the delay, but this what I have on my net -

1" nylon webbing/strapping, a welded ring, and a snap. All these pieces can be had from your local craft store for a few bucks.

A57FE616-BCE8-4710-8453-8102F0E16AF2_zpsjqfghtik.jpg

841D0E08-7FDF-47EC-91E0-0FAAC2D3C65B_zpslru54hem.jpg

915EA5F4-00E8-43B6-A750-D421A2809210_zpszznjq4p2.jpg

5F2D1F08-E089-4FC3-AE6B-0E919C84AD61_zpsmyza2qfm.jpg

I could have achieved the same results with a few zipties, but like everything I do, I over engineered this because I could.

Back