Wading NC PA

T

troutless

Hello im an older flyfisher who finally gets 3 days upstate to fish. I will be in Lock Haven and would like to ask which streams are the easiest to wade. I have Mecks Pa stream book, and most of what i read doesn't look like I will be able to do much searching. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your replies.

Big fishing Creek right in mill hall is fair to easy wading. Stocked fish and lots wild browns.

Spring Creek.

At Fishermans Paradise there is no wading allowed, and it is somewhat groomed, so people fish right from the bank. There are picnic tables there, and porta-potties. It's a very pleasant place.

There is also a PFBC access about half way between Fishermans Paradise and the Route 550 bridge where it's pretty easy to wade and fish.

There are several PFBC accesses in this stretch. But this one has the biggest parking area, a handicapped angler platform next to parking area, and a little shallow pond near the parking area.

You can park there and walk and fish on up around a big bend in the creek. Near the top of this stretch, you'll see a footbridge.

The PFBC owns that land, up past the footbridge a ways, to where you'll see a wall and a fence.

That stretch is probably about half a mile long and it's moderate in gradient, there's a footpath paralleling the stream, and the streambed is mostly gravel, not boulders, so the wading is pretty easy.

So I suggest trying those two places first.

There are other places you might see also as you drive along Spring Creek that are pretty easy to access and wade.

If you want to fish BFC I'd stay away from the stocked section as it gets hit really hard. My favorite section is the narrows in Lamar, but anywhere from just below Mackeyville and up has good wild trout.

Spring creek is another option and the wading is easy and so is the access. It's full of wild browns and below Bellefonte it has big stocked rainbows.

Little pine is a great stream too, although I'm unsure of the water temps and the number of stocked fish present.

If you want to try for smallmouth then pine creek is very easy to wade at lower levels, and has great numbers.

The narrows can be pretty difficult to wade.

csoult wrote:
The narrows can be pretty difficult to wade.[/quote

Some sections yes, especially if you walk fa enough from pull of spots.. For the most part though you can hop parking spots and not stray to far from the car and be successful.

If you do not already have one, I highly recommend a wading staff - for any age on larger streams.

Made a huge difference for me this year.

Thanks for the help, BFC was definitely on my list. Are there any good hatches going on BFC? Thanks again.

Most flagship hatches are done for the year. Olives are present early and on cloudy drizzly days

ISOs maybe around - check with TCO in state college before you head out. Take some ants and you will do fine.

The major hatches are pretty much done. Ants and isos with a dropper are my go to during the summer, unless you want to nymph.

All options are open my limited mobility keeps me in only a few holes. Got my flies covered from A-Z, ants to zebras. I'm so excited like a youngster on opening day. Again can't thank everyone enough.

My wife and I passed through the area a couple weeks ago and fished a couple days. We went to Kettle creek and did well with Parachute Sulphurs and peeking Caddis. We also fished the C&R section of Young Woman's and did ok on nymphs. A couple weeks prior to that I was with my brother and nephew on kettle and it was cinnamon ants and black caddis. We also went to Sinnemahoning above the park and did well. The views at kettle and Sinnemahoning were worth the trip alone.

Don

Back