Wading locations in Susquehanna near or above Harrisburg

F

Fishwagen

Looking for a relatively good/easier section of the river to wade. Have been in w the boat at a couple locations but not returning to them. This time just going on foot.

Would like to get out to an area on the easier side wading as I am taking a new switch rod to get used to. So it's primarily a casting trial, however, I would not mind it to be somewhat productive as well.

Was considering Dauphin Narrows????

Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions. Plus how and where to access the section. I know some of them, others I don't have the local knowledge.

Thanks

The section around Liverpool has easy wading.

Between Duncannon and Rockville bridge...ankle breaking / shin bone snapping fun. Waded between narrows and Purdix since the early 80's. I can't ever recall taking someone wading there that didn't take a pretty hard spill. Halifax, Millersburg, Liverpool might be easier to get around. Juniata might also be more user friendly between Duncannon and Newport. At the current levels, you could probably rock hop halfway across at Falmouth. I suppose you could get out pretty far at or 1/2 mile above statue .....just watch out for deep pockets. It's pretty ugly and dangerous in there.

I will say the bass were in pockets in Liverpool on Labor Day. We'd find them, catch two or three, then hit 4 or 5 more areas of similar habitat until we found more fish. The carp were nonexistent.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm far from an expert on bass.

Agree with Kray - Dauphin Narrows is a great spot, but tough wading.

As I've often mentioned, I don't fish that section of the Susky without cleats and a wading staff. However, with the current low water levels, it's a great time to wade. I was easily able to get across the entire width of the river last week.

To my mind, that section is a bit like ocean jetties: can be a great place for a foot bound angler to get at fish....Just take the necessary precautions and use the right gear.

With respect to access spots - do some exploring.
There are some PFBC access areas on both sides of the river above H-burg (the west shore is a bit tougher due to the railroad tracks, but there are access spots) . On the west side, there is easier access generally, above Duncannon along RT 15.

Thanks guys. I was up at Liverpool recently and found it easier to wade. I had the boat but jumped out several times but not a lot of luck w the fish. In the section I was in pockets were scarce, but it could have been "user error" as well.

I appreciate the heads up on Dauphin Narrows. I love the look of the structure but it does look like it would be challenging.

Like any river they always need to be shown a little respect. Since this trip is a little practice and a little fishing, I wanted to eliminate a few hazards to get the most out of the day.

Thanks again for the input it makes the choice a little easier.

Have had fun in the past up by Millersburg. There is a PA Fish and Boat Ramp up that way. Easy wading. Fish August and September for best results, IMHO.

Hope the bass have come back. Used to be some bruisers in that river.

Oregon_Owl wrote:
Hope the bass have come back. Used to be some bruisers in that river.

The bruisers are still there, however the number of young bass is what has been lacking the last decade.
The good news is the situation is stable and there is some growing evidence that bass are on the upswing. In the last couple years there is growing consensus among many anglers (not all) that bass fishing is getting better.

Back