Wading Jacket

M

mattflyguy

Hello All,

I am new to this site. Do any of you have any suggestions on a nice wading jacket? My birthday is around the corner and I was thinking about purchasing one that wasnt extremely over priced. Something I can fish with on a drizzly day without water condensating on the inside of the jacket. I have fished a couple times already in march and really wish I had one. Something that will repel rain and keep me nice and warm but also at the same time I want to have the option to open some pockets and have some ventilation if I get too warm. Do any of you recommend a certain brand or anything? Your suggestions will help me.

Thanks

Certainly can't beat that price can ya. Thanks!

I picked up a guide series on the sale rack for $59.99 and use the Ganderbucks I got in the PFBC reg book I got when I bought my fishing license. $49.99 and I like it allot. Cablela's has good stuff so you won't go wrong either way. Stick with the darker colors. The sage greens and mushroon types. Also pay attention to the zippers, most are waterproof anymore, but worth the extra dollars if you take a dip.

Tom's right.Have the same jacket and have used it all over.You can't go wrong with Cabelas.

Like WetNet, I have one fromt he sale rack at Gander Mountian that has treated me pretty well for 4 years now. I'm not sure it would keep me dry in an all day soaking rain storm anymore, but its still great for a drizzle or a squall.

I use a Cabelas made of breathable fabric in most months. I bought one size larger and layer n the winter.

I like the ones that are shorter- so when your wading a little deep they don't get as wet.

treat yourself to one of those English oiled jackets-the ultimate indulgence.

I bought a LL Bean Pac-Lite wading jacket, and it has served me well for a long time. In fact, when traveling thru Maine, I stopped in at LL Bean and bought another one as a back up when/if my first one ever wears out. Which ever jacket you choose, I suggest you buy a lightweight one that's packable and can be carried with you in your vest or pack, and one that’s breathable. Also, a lightweight jacket will be comfortable in the warmer weather, or can be used as an outer shell with heavier layers of clothing underneath in cold weather. Also make sure it is large enough for layering underneath. Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
I bought a LL Bean Pac-Lite wading jacket, and it has served me well for a long time. In fact, when traveling thru Maine, I stopped in at LL Bean and bought another one as a back up when/if my first one ever wears out. Which ever jacket you choose, I suggest you buy a lightweight one that's packable and can be carried with you in your vest or pack, and one that’s breathable. Also, a lightweight jacket will be comfortable in the warmer weather, or can be used as an outer shell with heavier layers of clothing underneath in cold weather. Also make sure it is large enough for layering underneath. Good luck.

LL Bean makes quality stuff and they stand behind it. My dad has a canvas duffle bag that is thirty years old and is in great condition....he still uses it today. Can't go wrong with LL Bean. That's what my waders are and they didn't break the bank either.

I was browsing through this month's fly rod and reel magazine and saw a patagonia wading jacket that I thought looked awesome. But then I saw the price $425 bucks. Thought to myself not gonna happen. I am sure its a great jacket but I simply can't justify spending that much on a wading jacket. Do the folks at patagonia realize that this country is currently going through an economic crisis? I am going to explore these other options you guys presented to me. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Another vote for the Gander Mountain Guide Series. Mine is 5 years old and works well. I have worn it in some pretty bad conditions and I have no complaints, especially at $40.

I won't pay that much for a jacket, but patagonia makes very good stuff.

I have one similar to the one tom linked to, but I think it's a cheaper version. I've had it for two years, and it's still going strong. The back pocket ripped from stuffing water bottles into it, but it's still waterproof. It made a great outer shell all winter.

I also wore it for two days on a hike. For its weight, it was an invaluable layer to have, though it smells like campfire permanently.

I have the Gander Mt. one too and no complaints other than the wrist, but I have tiny wrist.

I like the Cabelas Back Country one Tom mentioned.

I have the short version. I've only had it since the beginning of the year but I like it so far. The cuffs prevent water from going up your sleeve when you put your hands in the water. It's my winter shell and spring/summer rain jacket. It packs up fairly small into its own back pocket but there are others that pack smaller.

Back