Wading Boots

brandozer317

brandozer317

I am looking for new wading boots. Any suggestions for boots around $150?

You'll get multiple opinions from the folks on this sight. Some people swear by the simms boots but I'm a korkers guy. The devil's canyon retails for around 200 bucks and has been my go to boot for the last 5 years or so. I've tried just about every boot company out there and the devils canyon wins in my book. I love the interchangeable sole and boa system, i know it's a little more than 150 but to me it's worth it. In fact I'm getting ready to order another pair from Trident, one of the sights sponsors. My current ones have made it through 2 years which is my magic number(not attainable with most other boots I've worn). Hope this helps.

There are quite a few closeouts happening. Check around.

I like LL Bean West Branch Wading Boots, Studded. I've used this model for over a decade. No problems slipping on stream beds nor hiking to and from.

And lifetime guarantee so when they wear out, get a new pair free!

I have a year on my simms g3 wading boots and they show very little wear and have held studs without issue. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again but they are above your $150 price range.

I also have a new pair of Korkers in the basement that look like a nice boot but I haven't put them into service yet so I don't know how they will hold up.

Count me in the Korkers Choir... I don't like the boa system though. So, I have Korkers Buckskins with laces. My first pair made it almost 3 seasons before starting to have serious issues and I'm on the 2nd pair now. You can get the Buckskins (and two sets of soles, IIRC...) for around the $150 you mentioned, give or take..

My one complaint with Korkers is that I am underwhelmed by the replacement sole life, at lest with the studded felts. I go through them like popcorn.

Otherwise, they are better than a sharp stick in the eye, which for the price is about as good as you can expect.

I am now wearing a pair of Korkers K-5 Bombers. So far I'm loving them! I believe they are around $200 though.

I had 2 pairs of Simms G3 boots with the Vibram sole and both failed horribly with studs added. I sent the first pair back after a month and a half due to the studs falling out all the time. I installed them by the directions and even added some urethane to them. The torque put on them while wading is just too much. I got a second pair under warranty and the second pair did the same along with the rubber sole tearing on the edges and a shoe lace breaking after another month and a half of use. I believe I lost 40 or so studs in all on the 2 pairs. I was not impressed at all with the traction without the studs. I sent the second pair back and now have $280 in Simms credit that I'll put towards a new pair of the G3 waders.

Not recommending any of the boots, but I just received this in an Email today.

https://www.mrfc.com/clearance/wading-gear/

Appreciate everyone response! This will help in my research.

I have the Simms Guide boots and have for a couple years now. They have held up extremely well and have a nice space for your foot (doesn't cramp the widefoot style).

Great deal on these. https://www.mrfc.com/simms-rivertek-2-boa-boot-streamtread.html

That seems like a really good price. If alumabites can be added that should make a good boot for the money.

Personally,I like to have several pair of cheap boots goin at the same time .
That way,they can be completely dried out between watersheds/trips.
I generally have a pair of hodgeman’s,pro lines ,cabela’s or white river fly shop going at the same time .
I typically have two or three pairs in rotation.

fritz wrote:
That seems like a really good price. If alumabites can be added that should make a good boot for the money.

Alumabite cleats are the worst! First of all they fall out the easiest out of all studs/cleats that can be added to a boot. Second aluminum forms around objects and is great on rough surfaces. I don't know too many streams that the rocks are rough...most are completely smooth! Aluminum can be like a pair of ice skates on smooth rocks. I'd much rather have something that will bite into the rock like carbide steel.

That Vibram wading sole is not good. They keep pimping it, though, and they keep selling it because, hey, SIMMS, right? The only rubber wading sole that I found acceptable is the Aqua Stealth sole sold on the LL Bean boots.

Sylvaneous

Sylvaneous wrote:
That Vibram wading sole is not good. They keep pimping it, though, and they keep selling it because, hey, SIMMS, right? The only rubber wading sole that I found acceptable is the Aqua Stealth sole sold on the LL Bean boots.

Sylvaneous

I 100% agree that Vibram wading sole is not good! When I lost the screw in studs I felt like I had the worst grip ever. I never did so much slipping around. That rubber sole design just didn't seem to grip at all and I've had several pairs of rubber sole boots (always had the studs built into them however). I see they use different designed soles for their other boots. I just thought over all the G3 boots were a poor design at least for me. They also are an extremely heavy boot compared to what's on the market.

My favorite days fishing also involve a good hike. I wear the Korker K-5's with the vibram hiking soles (studded and not). I also swap out the insoles for Superfeet carbon insoles. Sierra trading has most sizes of the K-5's for $120 currently. Hiking soles are extra ($40-50).

bigjohn58 wrote:
Sylvaneous wrote:

Sylvaneous

I 100% agree that Vibram wading sole is not good! When I lost the screw in studs I felt like I had the worst grip ever. I never did so much slipping around. That rubber sole design just didn't seem to grip at all and I've had several pairs of rubber sole boots (always had the studs built into them however). I see they use different designed soles for their other boots. I just thought over all the G3 boots were a poor design at least for me. They also are an extremely heavy boot compared to what's on the market.

It is not the Vibram rubber or tread that is the problem. Virtualy all rubber sucks for traction underwater. The problem is that for the longest time they've applied this sole over a layer of fairly soft, almost foam rubber material. The Virbam rubber layer is far too thin to hold the screws effectively and the material underneath is not up to the task either.

Other brands have addressed stud retention much better. Chota's for instance, have hard plastic mounts in the sole to which you can add your studs. I lost only a couple studs in the 3 years that I wore chota's

Supposedly Simms has updated their soles to include a hard plate which provides a better hold on the studs... ...but I'm probably going to wait and see what others have to say about the new models of boots before I purchase another pair of Simms boots.

Disclaimer: I love Simms stuff for the most part. Their waders are still the best out their IMO and much of their clothing is good. However, I have had both good and bad experiences with their wading footwear. I wish they still sold the old L2 boots with built in studs.

being new to all of this, what sole type is best for the freestone streams in SW PA?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about SW PA, but felt will usually give you the best grip anywhere. I'm pretty sure it will hold true for SW PA as well.

When stream bottoms get slimier as the summer goes on, studs may be needed as well.

Back