Wading Boots

TLoomis

TLoomis

Hey guys. Looking to get some new boots within a week here. Money isn't really an issue. What do you all suggest? I want to get rubber bottoms with studs, no felt this time I dont think. I am not really looking to get boots again for a long while. My Frogg Toggs have fallen apart after 2(ish) years. So something that works, has good ankle support, and will last a long time.

I was looking at the Simms Freestone series. They look real good, but my buddies fell apart I believe. I don't really know where to start, there's alot of choices it seems

Thanks a bunch
Ty

Hi NB - This is the answer. While your buddies are replacing their boots in a few years, you'll be set. Guaranteed.

I broke the laces on mine, and wanted to buy a new pair of laces. They didn't have the exact match in the store, but they offered to give me a new pair of boots. That's how they roll....

That looks promising. LL Bean makes great stuff and I love their customer service.

By the way, I love that rod I bought off ya last year. Its still doing me well!

Thanks

Uhhh, you bought it from Skiltonian. I did recommend it, though.

FWIW - If you buy those boots, and don't like them - ever - you can return them for another pair, or your money back. There's just no way you can lose!

You trying out again? I think I'm instructing this year. I couldn't make it last year, but it's too much fun to miss out on again.

I can say from hard-won and bought experience that the rubber soles on the Simms Freestone (and others that use that sole) are darn near SUICIDAL on all but the most amenable stream bottoms. N F-ing way. Not with MY life!

I've been using the LLBEAN with the studded Aqua-Stealth sole for YEARS and HAVE NOT been disappointed.
They've been tweaking the design of their boots every year. They really have a winner again. I have a brand-spankin' new pair of my own.
Syl

I just got a pair of the llbean gray ghost, rubber soles with studs, they are awesome! I wanted to try on the river treads, but the store didn't have my size. the gray ghosts fit good so I went for them. no regrets. I've hiked 4 or 5 miles with them and they are very comfy.
and the warranty is pretty decent too!!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Uhhh, you bought it from Skiltonian. I did recommend it, though.

FWIW - If you buy those boots, and don't like them - ever - you can return them for another pair, or your money back. There's just no way you can lose!

You trying out again? I think I'm instructing this year. I couldn't make it last year, but it's too much fun to miss out on again.

Ahhhh yes thats right. My bad.

And no I am not trying out this year, because it conflicts with college too much, and I dont have the money. I really wish I could just come fish with all the guys though.

My dad went over to the LL Bean store at home and picked these up for me. I'll be getting them when I see him in 2 weekends for the opener! Can't wait! Thanks for the help guys

Orvis side zipped can't be beat IMHO

Attachments

• Orvis Boots.jpg
    Orvis Boots.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 4
Korkers check them out they are outstanding. Interchangeable soles, no lace system, it's an awsome boot.

Korkers Steelhead boots or the Simms guide boots are the ones I would first look at.

I'll second the vote for the Simms "Guide" boots. I'm working on my third year with mine. I really like them. When they wear out I plan to buy another pair. Remember you get what you pay for.

simms rivershed, a bit lighter than the guide and less stiff.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I'll second the vote for the Simms "Guide" boots. I'm working on my third year with mine. I really like them. When they wear out I plan to buy another pair. Remember you get what you pay for.

Ya, well I paid $150 for my Simms Rivershed and they are pure garbage. Comfortable garbage but so many issues and such poor customer service from Simms. "We don't make them so there is nothing we can do".

The Simms Guide series looks pretty awesome though.

Dear jdaddy,

Honestly, I have to wonder why anyone would spend over $ 100.00 on a purely expendable item?

If rubber soles are that much of a necessity why not go to Super Shoes and get a pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots on closeout two sizes too big and wear them as wading shoes?

They run about $ 30.00 and they'll be no more slippery sans studs than any of these rubber soled rip-offs that people are pushing presently.

As for the Simms Guides at $ 219.99 per pair, if ever see anyone wearing them trashing Orvis products as being yuppie gear I'll drown the bastage.

They are wading shoes, not Bruno Magli's. Get a freaking grip people!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear jdaddy,

Honestly, I have to wonder why anyone would spend over $ 100.00 on a purely expendable item?

If rubber soles are that much of a necessity why not go to Super Shoes and get a pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots on closeout two sizes too big and wear them as wading shoes?

They run about $ 30.00 and they'll be no more slippery sans studs than any of these rubber soled rip-offs that people are pushing presently.

As for the Simms Guides at $ 219.99 per pair, if ever see anyone wearing them trashing Orvis products as being yuppie gear I'll drown the bastage.

They are wading shoes, not Bruno Magli's. Get a freaking grip people!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Frankly we can apply that logic to darn near any item priced above the cheapest can we not? Theoretically they were supposed to be great boots that would last a few seasons. Also, there wasn't a Super Shoe in Roscoe, NY. Lastly, I have the disposable income not to worry about it but I get pissed when they prematurely fail.

I do agree with you that it is quite comical to hear the gruffy fly boys poke fun at "Orvis Yuppies" while they wear $400 Simms waders and wave around $700 Sage rods.

must be an older version of rivershed since the model with vibram started at 179.00 and I have yet to see them discounted. perhaps you bought a seconds pair?-IDK

I just don't get the constant Simms bashing. I understand the comical elitism (of some) who spend a lot on gear but don't know how to use it or get out 3 times a year. I still laugh at that cartoon video on fly rods and reels. However, I am starting to sense another side- the group that says you don't know what you're buying and there is no difference between a 50.00 pair and 200.00. Look at how smart I am that I only paid 50.00. I understand the argument of value for the dollar, but the idea that Simms (or any other high end gear) is not better quality is just rubbish. I also understand people can't or won't want to pay that much, but come'on already

We all know that only simms gear leaks and falls apart while Cabelas and frog toggs lasts 10 years. Got it.

Oh, one more thing. There is more to a boot than how long it holds up on the outside. It's what's inside that counts. Most higher end boots have better inside support. I have yet to see a boot under 80.00 have sufficient arch/foot support. I figured this out quite quickly after years of buying economical boots and now only buy better boots- happens to be simms right now, but others might be as good. You have to check. Boots have to be comfortable and give you the support for proper foot, hip and back health. It might not matter that much to you 25 year olds, but us 40-ish guys need all the help they can get out on the stream for 12 hrs and hiking/walking 2-3 miles fishing.

The timing is just coincidence but Tracey Stroup talks about foot ailments in her column in May's Mid atlantic FF guide, . She touches upon this, but come short of making a recommendation for a boot. Makes sense to me based on my experience.
Sorry guys, can't pick that one up at cabelas, LL-bean or gander mountain.

no
that is completely wrong

Back