Wading boots - Simms G4 Guide Boots or Simms Guide Boot

elonDO

elonDO

Been looking at both pairs of Simms Guide boots the basic guide boot & the G4, both with the vibram sole. I'm curious if anybody out there has had experience with either. I've searched the internet & have found good reviews on both, but curious if anybody here has some thoughts. Currently using Simms Rivershed studded aqua-stealth boots that are shot & ready to be replaced. Thanks for any thoughts and/or input!

I don't own either of the 2 boots you listed but I do use the Headwater stoking foot waders by Simms and I love them. They are very very comfortable and they breath well. I've fished with them in warm weather and don't get hot. My feet stay warm in the water.
I think the new guide waders have more reinforcment in the font leg panel. The are a step up from my headwaters I believe. Mine seam to be good so far in that area. But I'm pretty easy on my waders.
I've only had them since May this year so I can't speak to how they will hold up yet.

I got the basic guide boot. Spent way more than I want to do again. Only had it since spring and haven't been fishing real heavy this summer, so I can't speak to longevity. Other than to say, that after only a half dozen or so outings, the rubber tread is already showing signs of flattening out. If it continues at that pace they won't be long lasting boots, but I expect it to slow some as you get down to the thicker part of the cleats.

That's been my experience on hiking boots with vibram as well. Good grippy stuff. Wears out quicker than most by flattening. It's soft rubber.

I do have the star cleat, aluminum studs. So far they suck, they're not really spikes, but more like flat panels. On flat rock they're downright dangerous, like skates, because they keep the rubber from making contact. They do fine in broken, smaller rock bottoms and on land. I've been told that once you get some wear on them they improve, so that's why they're still on.

As far as grippiness of the rubber: It doesn't match felt, especially on big wet rocks like where I normally fish. But it's not bad overall, just different. I slip where I wouldn't normally expect to slip, and grip where I wouldn't normally expect to grip. Have to re-adjust my mind, I guess.

I have the Guide Boot. They are four years old and still going strong. They are well made but will soon need replaced also. I'm going to buy another pair of Guide Boots when the time comes.They are TOUGH.

I have the Simms freestone and have over a hundred days in them they've held up exceptionally well. They are confortable, have the same vibrum sole and are considerablly cheaper. I will do it again.

OK, forget what I said, I thought you were talking about waders. I'm confused. Sorry.

Aducker wrote:
I don't own either of the 2 boots you listed but I do use the Headwater stoking foot waders by Simms and I love them. They are very very comfortable and they breath well. I've fished with them in warm weather and don't get hot. My feet stay warm in the water.
I think the new guide waders have more reinforcment in the font leg panel. The are a step up from my headwaters I believe. Mine seam to be good so far in that area. But I'm pretty easy on my waders.
I've only had them since May this year so I can't speak to how they will hold up yet.

I have the Simms freestone and have over a hundred days in them they've held up exceptionally well. They are confortable, have the same vibrum sole and are considerablly cheaper. I will do it again. Posted on: Today 19:05

Same here I have a couple hundred hours and who knows how many miles on them and they show little signs of wear. I have Kold Kutter studs in them and have yet to lose 1 or replace 1 yet and the grip is more than adequate.

I have the guide series and the rivertek series boots and have been using the guide series for about 4-5 years. They're pratically indestructable. I have the vibram soles with studs and they work great!

I really think the new version of the Rivershed is the sweet spot in the line up. I had the headwaters for a few years before passing them along to a newbie. This year I bought the BOA RiverTek in size 12 for looser fit for circulation with lots of layers of socks and I bought the Rivershed in 11 for my everyday boot. I really like the tough neoprene lining of both boots. Really seems to protect the neoprene booties. I have never been a fan of leather due to weight and drying time thus Guide was never on my radar. G4 is a nice synthetic boot but again I like the dry weight of the Rivershed.

I have the simms g4 guide, guide, and freestone boot. I feel that the g4 boot is by far superior to the other options that simms has out. For one, they are more comfortable than freestone and guide boot. The g4 is a heavier boot but when your in water it is not noticeable. The g4's also have a wider sole on the bottom, and really allows you to gain traction without the addition of cleats.

Keep in mind that the g4 boots are currently discontinued while they are redesigning the boot. I don't have any complaints about the guide boot so far, they seem to be built to last longer than the g4 boots. One complaint I've seen with the freestone boot is the tendency of the plastic lace guide breaking when tightening up the laces.

I have the guide boot. Solid, good ankle support and tough as nails. I do know that the guide boot and the g4 model are cut from 2 different lasts. I called Simms to ask why I had 2 totally different sizes when I was boot shopping. Try them on before you buy.

I had the G3's then the G4's Simms Wading Boot. Love them because of the wide footprint as well as how easy they laced up and were on exit and entry because of the wide tongue. HOWEVER, both shrunk on me way too early. I thought when they changed the material from the 3 to the 4 it would rectify that - for me it did not.

I have the Guide Boots now, I really like them. Time will tell, I only have about 10 days on the water with them right now. If these shrink like the past two pair I'm done with Simms wading boots. Their waders are the best hands down in all my experiences. Their wading boots I'm still not sold on because of the shrinkage issues I've personally experienced.

As a side note, I don't force dry these boots, no next to the wood burner, no on top of the register, no sitting in the sun, etc. Not sure if expediting the drying would quicken the shrink or lessen it. I figure it's better to let them naturally dry.

on my second pair of riversheds and have been pleased. There are some pros and cons. Relevant to comments above:
pros: light weight and they don't shrink. Very comfortable arch support that lasts over 200 long days. They have a generous toe box (for my feet), which is plus during cold weather.
cons: the rubberized fabric in the tongue starts to flake/crack after 100 trips or so. This doesn't affect performance. The stitching starts to come a little loose at specific locations where the rubber rands (which is a plus in IMO) meet the ballistic mesh. This occurs after about 100-150 trips. This is only a cosmetic issue. I put another 100 days on my first pair before i retired them because the support gave out and the sole liner starting popping out (could have been glued).

Next time, I will consider the guide boot. I wonder if the shrinkage (my main concern) is really an issue for me. My boots dry out may be twice a year. Some years, never. If I was motivated by the prospect of shrinkage, I could soak them during these rare occasions before they dry.
I won't consider a non-simms boot unless something new comes on the market. I have not found another that matches simms' foot/arch support. I can't say I tried every boot though, but I have slipped on and looked very carefully at the top competitors. When I was younger, this was not an issue. Now, its important.

pcray
i was told by my shop that the aluminum star cleats are made for very specific conditions. Mostly for sharp, hard rocks like granite. The carbide studs don't bite into granite. Hard surfaces like these are resistant to the carbide studs. The idea is that the granite will bite into the aluminum.
replace them with the standard hard bite studs.

3+ years on these. Soles are still good, support is still good but they've began to crack. I don't think it's anything more than cosmetic. I blew through 2 pairs of Cabelas brand boots in 2 years prior to going over to Simms. They make very nice gear. If it's in your budget, spend a few extra dollars to get gear that will last.

As I mentioned in a prior post, try the boot on first. The different models are cut from different lasts and will fit differently. For example: You may wear a 10 in the guide boot but an 11 in the G4 or vice versa. If / when these wear out, I'll replace with another set of rubber soled guide boots.

Not to change to topic but my buddy has a pair of Chotas. He's had them for 9 years and has replaced the spikes 3 times. They make a pretty bullet proof shoe as well. It's an ugly boot but man do they last.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 4
I have the boas and although I like them they're junk. I've had one lace snap second is starting to snap and some of the stitching is starting to rip. Simms sent me extra laces for nothing so that was kool. They're less than a year old but at the same time I fish a lot.

I have liked every Chota boot I've ever bought. I won't say bulletproof, never had a pair last more than 3 years or so, but that's true of all other brands too, so on par with the best. I simply think they're more comfortable. They make a wider boot, more foot room. I have duck feet. Short and wide. That's probably the main reason I've always liked their boots. For the same reasons they're easy on, easy off.

They're also less stiff. Some people like a lot of support, some don't. I don't. I've never, in my life, turned an ankle. Not once. I played football, baseball, am a hunter and hiker, when fishing I'm attracted to the worst possible places to hike. I must have the tightest ankles ever.

The one thing is that all of my Chota's have been studded felt. I haven't personally tried their rubber "Rock-Lok" sole, but I've heard a number of negative reviews, so be aware of that. That's probably why I went with the Simms for my current pair.

Back