Wading Boots AGAIN!

H

Hooligan

I need to replace my studded felt soles, and I looking to studded rubber. Sorry to rehash this topic (believe me, I’ve sifted through this and other sites), but I’d like to hear opinions regarding slime traction, boot size-to-actual-fit, comfort, and durability. I tend to wear my boots up to 50 times a year (pity :cry:), both with waders and wet wading.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Bean's Studded River Treads, but I'm WAY open to suggestions.

I really like studded felts, but I think the crystal ball may be showing felt's demise in Pennsy soon.

Thanks,

John

I just ordered a pair of Korkers. I've never tried them before. I get about a year out of any given pair, so I don't expect these to be any different. My Last pair were Patagonia riverwalkers, and they are great, besides the obvious wear. I've had the worst luck with Chotas, and to be honest, for the money I highly recommend Calelas boots.

Korkers.

Light, durable, comfortable, amazing drainage. The Boa lacing system is pretty ingenious.. not to mention the choice in such a wide array of soles.

Simms "Guide" Boots, purchased mine 2 years ago when they first came out with "Vibram" rubber soles. I fished the first year without studs with no problems. I added the studs this spring and still no problems. Felt will soon be as extinct as the Passenger Pigeon! If you fish in the winter rubber is even better because the snow will not stick to the rubber soles. These boots are well made. I fish about 75 to 80 times a year.

I think you got it right with the Beans.

Simms boots are made in China (as I am sure most boots are) and they do not service or support them here. My new boots had the sole separate and I was told to find a cobbler and have them fix them, at my cost. The boots have worn very poorly. They may make it through next season. The traction is good, and the soles are hold up well. The studs are not sold with the boot and are quite expensive, $30 for regular studs and $40 for the "star" type studs. So, $150 for boots, plus $30 for studs = $180 for boots that are falling to pieces. Never again, unless I catch them on clearance or something. If you do buy Simms, get them at LL Bean as THEY will actually warranty the boots (which is incredibly sad and I would never support Simms while making Bean back up Simms poor warranty).

Corkers . . . I don't know. Seems like a lot of opportunities for problems, as noted in the corkers thread.

I bought the bean studded river tread wading boots a year and a half ago. And I'm not real happy with them.
They're just not very confortable for me. The tongue seems overly thick, and it's hard to get the laces to tighten up good. This makes them rather clunky to walk in. I kept thinking that after I wear them awhile, they'd probably get better. But it didn't happen
I honestly wouldn't buy them again

I'll put in a vote for Chotas Caney Fork. Bought mine this summer and I love them. Mine fit well and as they are a little lower then the simms and orvis boots I find them easier to get on and off.
Bill A

It's hard to beat anything Bean since given their top notch CS and the quality products.

Think about how much you're going to fish and what kind of terrain you will be walking on--similar to the type of consideration you would give if you were buying waders. If hitting easy access points, don't walk a ton, or go a few times a year, a "lightweight" pair of boots may be an ideal choice.

If you are like me--hard on boots/shoes, log lots of miles over rugged terrain, want solid support, etc then you should get a boot that's geared towards that kind of fishing.

I have been using the Simms Rivershed boots for the past 2 1/2 seasons and couldn't be more pleased. They're bombproof, fit well, drain well and don't hold a lot of water weight. Some of the built in studs are pushing inward to the sole, so the grip from studs is not what it used to be. The newer versions have a better tread and you will need to add studs if you want them. You're not limited to the Simms branded studs.

If you have the option, the best advice I can offer is to take your waders to a fly shop and try some different boots on and see what's comfortable to you. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

jdaddy: that's surprising that Simms told you to seek out a cobbler, I can see where you'd be frustrated with them. Did you get them at a fly shop? If so, have you gone down the route of having them talk to Simms about the boots? A buddy of mine had problems with his boots that were maybe 1-2 years old, took them back to the fly shop where he purchased them and wound up with new boots replaced by Simms.

Yeah, Bean certainly has the best customer satisfaction policy.
And I'm sure I could return my boots - even after a year and a half.
But there really is nothing wrong with them - they didn't start to fall apart.
It's probably just a personal thing with me not liking them I'm sure.

Orvis came out with a studded boot called Eco-Trax this past year that look pretty interesting. The rubber knobs - and the studs themselves - have a new design that certainly looks like something that would grip better. Has anyone tried them yet?

DFG,

I'm sure that Bean would probably take the boots back if you spoke with them. I had a pair of waders that were 4 seasons old that had leaked once while I was on a trip. I repaired them and fished 2 more seasons with them. Just for my own education, I contacted Bean and they told me to send them back. I chose not to return them since I had put heavy use on them. I think Heritage-Angler can probably speak more to this.

Have not tried the Eco-Trax but have heard very good things about them. I can say that although the Simms star studs are expensive, they grab better than anything I have tried. I picked up the newer Rivershed version of boot to use in winter and where extreme traction is a requirement. I'll still use the old ones when I can get away with them. Last 2 trips to Erie, I was skating on some of the stream beds, not this last time. I really like the new Viabrim sole with the star studs. The Eco-Trax looks similar in nature. Having had knee surgery a couple of years back $40 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Back