Wading Boot soles

R

rodhead

Hi, ever since I got new wading boots with rubber soles and screw in studs I've taken a few falls. I seemed to have better traction with felt soles. Is this true with anyone else? Are felt soles being phased out?

rodhead wrote:
Hi, ever since I got new wading boots with rubber soles and screw in studs I've taken a few falls. I seemed to have better traction with felt soles. Is this true with anyone else? Are felt soles being phased out?

Some anglers prefer felt soles to rubber soles with studs. There have been numerous debates on here as to which is better. It's really up to the individual angler.

Some states have banned felt like VT & MD because they may carry organisms from one stream to another. But, felt soles are available from nearly every manufacturer right now, and will be for the foreseeable future, IMO.

Yeah, the move to rubber is mostly about invasives.

The other threads cover it I'm sure, but it comes down to what substrate, as rubber is better on some and felt better on others. Also note that each brand has different rubber compositions and tread patterns, and it makes a big difference. Though there are trade-offs, as the softer rubber tends to be grippier but the tread flattens out more quickly. The same is true on felt as well (some better than others), but to a lesser degree.

My own take is rubber is better on mud and snow. Felt is better on big rocks. Both are fine on dirt and finer gravel. Studs help both.

My Simms Guide boots are of the soft rubber variety, and were pretty good when new. 2-3 years of light fishing, and this'll be their last year. Soles nearing "flat" and losing grip. 2-3 years of heavy fishing I'd be happy with, but we're talking a total of only 20-30 outings here, as I haven't been fishing much. Ashame, because the rest of the boot is well made and still in good shape.

I guess I could re-sole them? But there's only 1 dang place in the east that Simms lets do that? It's in Philly and costs $80. Lets see, a day trip to the city, 1 hr commute each way, plus $80? I'd be more likely to just get new boots.

What about Korkers? They have the ability to change soles to match the stream or regulations. I am contemplating the purchase of a pair so I can use studded felt in PA and rubber when I visit my daughter in Alaska this summer. Anyone who uses thses, please share your experience.

JMP wrote:
What about Korkers? They have the ability to change soles to match the stream or regulations. I am contemplating the purchase of a pair so I can use studded felt in PA and rubber when I visit my daughter in Alaska this summer. Anyone who uses thses, please share your experience.

I just got the Korker Redside that comes with a plain felt sole and a plain rubber sole. I also ordered the rubber sole with cleats.

They are really nice but fit small and so far I've only wore them twice.

I definitely prefer studded felt most of the time. I just bought a pair of korkers this year too because I like the idea of being able to use whatever soles with the same boot. I am completely not impressed with the studded felt soles I bought for them though. They are the tiniest studs I have ever seen by far. I may have to try the rubber with the large studs.

you r right rubber with studs is not as good as felt with studs.
I changed from felt to rubber for the Cause.
Advice, get the best studs u can spend a little more $$ get the carbide. they screw in so check every so often they will fall out.
if your wading boot is not good quality they will actually tear out
and not be able to screw a replacement back in because the internal thread of the boot is comprimised

Steve98

I have only worn korkers since getting stocking foot waders. LOVE them. I have the older style in a "sneaker" for wet wading and the redside boot. The versatility is great. I trashed the felt soles cause I am not a fan but have the rubber and rubber/stud ones. I have used them everywhere I fish from Valley creek, to central Pa blue lines Tidal and non-tidal portions of The Delaware and even on the beach. We have about 4 people in our little group that wear different models and everyone loves them and collectively beat the snot out of them. And the price isn't bad either.

Also the saltwater guys that frequent jetties and places like Montauk get the plain rubber sole than add screws to a pattern that works best for them. how they stand where most of their weight is etc. The new style is so much easier than the old ones also no tool required. Just when you change soles make sure they are "clean" with no debris prior to the new sole going on.

I also have a pair of korkers and when I ordered them I got all three soles,I put the studded rubber in and can't even tell you where the others are at this point(Never took them out and prob never will)

I always use studded felt soles and I have plenty of replacements after stocking up on them. IMO, safety trumps all other considerations. For me, rubber means trouble! I use a wading staff also.

Back