wading boot advice

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I have 2 pair of wading boots (both ww), one regular and one felt. I seem to have balance issues and worry about falling while I wade. Are studs the way to go? If so, koorkers?

My boots are felt with metal studs and are awesome at preventing slips but does not help at all in the balance area. I always use a wading staff or as I like to call it, a birch branch.

Thanks. Going to make a wading staff as I can't justify $100 for a folding one

I use a staff also. But my boots I use goat head sole spikes and I love them.

I like using a wading staff but I really like studded boots. I have several all do a good job. Find what best fits you.

I have korkers, they are well made however the interchangeable soles are hardly used. I stick with the studded sole. also korkers run a little smaller and narrower than stated.

I also have older orvis boots that are not made now. they are built very tough but heavier than the rest. fit is true size.

I have the LL Bean Grey Ghost boots. I really like these. they are very roomy in the toe area and are the lightest pair I have. I have used these about 20 times so far and they are holding up perfect. I would know more until a couple more seasons.

Folding staffs have no character. Birch branches are light, strong and free. It has the added benifit that if i lose it no biggie as I have a birch branch farm in my back yard. The one on the right is my current staff. The one on the left will be next years as long as I dont screw it up. By the time its done it will be whittled down to the diameter of my current one. Studded felt and a Burch branch cant be beat.

Attachments

• 1414602424590.jpg
    1414602424590.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
My Orvis boots lasted a year before they rubbed a hole in my waders.

I think the combo between studs and a staff will help. My issue is finding the right ones.

I have vibram soles on my wading boots. I put a 10 pack of simms hardbite studs and i have no slipping problems. IMO felt shouldnt really be used if you travel a lot. A few streams do have didymo, and even some have IPN, which are both caused mainly because of anglers traveling to "dirty" waters then fishing their home waters.
Good studs in rubber and a wading staff should be fine.

I finally broke down and bought new boots. I got the Patagonia ultralight boots. They have made a huge difference for me. My old boots were cheap cabelas. I just installed the studs and am looking forward to seeing how they feel.

I mostly use my rubber sole boots. I just need to not feel like I am going to fall when I wade. I also realized that I perfer neoprene waders to breathable. Better fit for me

Kev, gotta disagree. Studded felts best thing ever. They suck on muddy banks or in the snow but excel in the water. Just fish every other month like me and no worries about aquatic hitchhikers. LOL. Mine sit on the deck with the soles facing the sun for weeks between trips. Other options: wash between trips or have a second pair.

I dont know if anyone else does this but I get my boots a size larger and the wear wool socks over the neoprene boot. Very comfy, keeps debris away from the stocking foot. Never had a boot leak. I have a pair of Simms lightweights from the 90's that never leaked in the foot. The crotch / inside seams are a different story. I'd still wear them but the stank is overpowering...even after several hand washings.

You can now find Patagonia Rock Grip Aluminum Bar wading boots on clearance for 100-150 dollars (formerly $250). These boots have been supplanted as the top of the line model for Patagonia, but they are still as good as it gets for traction.

aluminum will wear quickly if you fish and walk much. plus I do not see any advantage over studs they even cost more compared to studded boots.

studs aren't so great when you wear them down to ball ends.

Lol kray i should've said felt is good if you fish every month or so... ;-)

Yeah, I don't get out often. Like always...maybe next year.

Did you ever end up with a 'big water' stick or is that search still ongoing?

It's why they make wading staffs. I use a trexkking pole, they are cheaper and lighter.

fisherboy3 wrote:
I have vibram soles on my wading boots. I put a 10 pack of simms hardbite studs and i have no slipping problems. IMO felt shouldnt really be used if you travel a lot. A few streams do have didymo, and even some have IPN, which are both caused mainly because of anglers traveling to "dirty" waters then fishing their home waters.
Good studs in rubber and a wading staff should be fine.

Current thought has debunked the angler moving didymo around as well as other invasive pests. Most are moved by unclean boats and other means.

Chaz,

Then how did the Connetquot on Long Island get IPN? Birds? I dont think so. No boats, so maybe they only blamed it on the anglers. But felt was banned there too, and in other states as well, because IT does trap invasives when not washed thoroughly and then fished soon after.

Back