Waders

kobalt335

kobalt335

I'm in need of a new pair of waders, and I'm looking at getting the orvis encounters or a pair of caddis waders. I have never talked to anyone with the caddis waders, but they look alright. I know waders in my price range are never the best, however some input on the two would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Got a pair of Patagonia Rio Azul waders at ****'s yesterday for $79.95- marked down from $299. Worth a look if you have a store nearby.

tztrout wrote:
Got a pair of Patagonia Rio Azul waders at ****'s yesterday for $79.95- marked down from $299. Worth a look if you have a store nearby.

That's a great deal, however neither store near me sells them, and they don't have any Patagonia waders on their site.

There were 1 LG and 1 XL left, Wilkes-Barre Twp. store.

I have a pair of Orvis Silversonic and HATE Them. Third pair. All 3 leak. Just waiting for an oppertunity to return them. Im sure the Encounters are the same, if not worse.

I replaced them with Simms G3. Love em.

If you can hold off for a little while, outfits like Madison River and the like, will probably be unloading inventory. Like steveo, if you could pick up a pair of Simms G-3s' I don't think you'll be sorry. I paid $300.00 of a set of Simms Rivershed II (discontinued) about 10 years ago and they're still serving me well. Quality always sells itself.

Yo ko - I also see Bud Lilly is retiring, and no doubt will be unloading inventory. I personally am a fan of Orvii waders, way back to the single ply teal blue original breatheables. Never had to use their warranty on numerous models since. And the best so far is Silver Sonics - I love the welded seam concept, and the pair I have is going strong after a few hundred days on the water. The best thing about Orvis around here (Chester County) is that their several stores can ensure you have a great fit, which is key to durability.

If I used drift boats frequently and ffished more where the humidity is low (ie the Rockies), I would more strongly consider Simms. They have a great reputation for quality and durability, but they are heavier and hotter to wear in the summer.

I would love a pair of simms, however being a recent college grad doesn't allow me much wiggle room on price unfortunately, I did see that someone is having the simms free stones on sale for 199. I never hear anything about simms products other than the g3 and g4. I love orvis products as far as rods and reels, and I am still eyeing up the encounters because I hear more good things about orvis waders than bad.

I don't fish from a boat and many of my trips include BFC, Spring, and Penns, with the yearly trips to NY and Erie for steelhend.

I currently have a pair of Redington Palix River waders and loved them until I decided to take my wading boots off then forgot something, and ended up putting a hole right I'm the middle of the booth. I tried numerous patches, but my foot always gets soaked anyway.

Simms are the only waders that i havent had a problem with. Theyre cheap considering how long they last.

You never hear anything besides the g3 and g4 models? Here ya go...... I have a pair of L2 gore-tex Simms. They have to be 12+ years old. Very light so I don't wear them much anymore but they went at least 7 years without leaking. Now they have aquaseal on the seams and sometimes let a little in but I just wear them when it's warmer out. They smell like a corpse though. Lol

kobalt335 wrote: I love orvis products as far as rods and reels, and I am still eyeing up the encounters because I hear more good things about orvis waders than bad.

I felt the same way about Orvis products. This was until I had to keep returning the waders every few months because they ALL leaked at the booty seams. The "sonic" welds leave lots to be desired I think.

Ive been trying to return the current pair (past the 60 day no questions asked guarantee), but Orvis really isnt interested in honoring their no questions asked satisfaction blah blah blah guarantee. Ive spent multiple times fighting with online reps trying to just set up a return to get my money back since Im pretty dissatisfied. They all keep telling me to return them and they will repair them. No one seems to get that I dont want them fixed since they junk.

My buddy also has a pair of Silversonics that leak in the same place. He bought his because I liked mine (when they were new) and recommended em. His have maybe a 1/2 dozen days on them and hes in the same boat as me.

kobalt,

Check your PM's

There must be 100 threads on this forum about waders. I always read them because I'm always interested in others' experiences. It seems for every positive experience one person has with a "name brand" someone else has had the opposite. I'm in my second pair of G3s. First lasted about five seasons maybe averaging 25 outings per year at most before developing an annoying leak that I just can't seem to locate and get a dab of aquaseal on. I suspect it's the seams. Wasn't real happy they leaked considering they didn't have a lot of outings and I don't generally fish in places where I have to do any bushwhacking. Still have the leaky ones - they would suffice for warm weather wading where I have a pair of shorts on under then anyhow. They don't stink like Kray's either.

I suspect some people's problems with waders (and other equipment) is also due to poor care between uses. My waders get hosed off frequently and are always hung up for storage.

Back to the OP - no experience with Orvis or Caddis brand waders. If I had to pick I would go with Orvis because of the reputation for quality products which is generally pretty positive.

I have a pair of the Orvis Encounters. Second season and no problems. They're light enough that they aren't TOO hot in the summer and roomy enough to layer in the winter. The booties are a little large. I had to go 2 sizes larger in my wading boots, but it all works just fine. I'd buy them again.

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/***sale-items***/waders/sonic-pro™-wader
Check their sale items section. The Sonic Pros' are size medium. Price - $149.00

I have had 2 pairs of Orvis waders. They don't make the model anymore but it was the reddish brown ones. See my avatar. They had 3 models targeted at entry level, moderate, and top of the line and these were their middle one. Went between $200-$250.

They were fine. That said, I don't have any bad or glowing reviews of any breathable waders, and brands tried include Hodgeman, Cabelas, Orvis, LLBean, and Simms, so pretty much running the gamet. In my experience, all breathables are about equal in comfort, the Simms really aren't any better in that category than the old Hodgeman Wadelites that went for about $100. In terms of longevity, it seems you neither do better nor worse with more money spent. Spend twice the money, get almost exactly twice the longevity. It comes down to $$$$ per leak free hour and in that sense nobody has gone much above the curve, nor fallen embarrassingly below it.

I'm currently sporting Simms G3's and we'll see if they beat the curve. They were more expensive and are holding up fine. But they should, they were very expensive, and haven't reached their expected lifetime yet. So, we'll see I guess....

I suppose my advice for someone trying to get the most for the money is simply jump on any specials you find, whether it be a closeout or a fly show or whatever.

Pat,

I've been waiting for your review on the G3's after getting some use out of them. They are heavy and suck in the heat. So far they holding up well? Pretty easy to patch if you hit a rose bush or something like that too.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

Interesting that the wader survey also tested boot foots. Been fishing a lot (over 100 days a yr) past few yrs and none of the bootfoot type breathables seem to hold up. The weight of the very heavy boots they now use puts a strain on all the seams and they leak before long. I liked boot foots for ease of putting on etc.
I've had major seam problems with Simms and Orvis. Now i'm using the wader shoe and separate wader set up and field testing very expensive Patagonia. So far so good. Honestly my old Pro line bootfoots lasted very well for less than $100... And the old Orvis Green Mtns of yrs back were awesome (they used lighter boots and different material). Boot foots are not as comfortable as these new fangled ones though.

kray,

They've been holding up fine. That said, I haven't been fishing much. This winter will mark 3 years, I think. Basically, in order to match the value of cheaper waders, they gotta go 4. And at that point I won't be really sure because in terms of fishing hours it'll be the lightest 4 years I've ever had.

They are thick but they breathe well, don't really have a problem with them in the heat. Gore-Tex does breathe better than the others, although Simms makes it awfully thick. If you have a fabric that breathes twice as well, but you make it twice as thick, then you end up with the same breathability. Which is what's going on here.

Back