Waders VS Muck boots

sundrunk

sundrunk

Anymore, I like the extra challange of fishing with my muck boots. There should seldom be a need for wading our spring creeks. If you're lucky, a big trout might pull you in for a hook release, but for the most part, all thats required to get the job done are knee high boots, or some kind of wet wading system. Wading spooks fish, stomps all over the cress beds; not to mention kicks up all kinds of silt. Waders are for Penns, Delaware, northbranch & Savage, places like that...You can get by with boots, and you'll be a better fisherman for it...

Spent part of a day at Falling Spring. Don't see how you could even wade in that stream. Have not been to the Letort yet- but seems like from what I have seen I would'nt want to wade there either. Seem to remember hearing about sulphers lasting into the summer out there.

As I mentioned before
If you are going to wade wet in the LeTort or any other stream its a good idea not to back into an electric fence.
However if you are looking for a memory that will last a lifetime I highly recommend this one.

I have a pair of knee high Wetland Muck boots. I find when fishing small to medium sized streams in the summer during low water conditions that these are a very suitable shoe to walk around on the flood plain. However, I have a couple suggestions.

Always wear long pants, otherwise the area between your knees and privates get the PI first.

If you think your boots are deeper than the water in front of you, you are wrong. Dont try "wading" in them so much as splashing the water under your feet.

The rubber lug soles are not studded felts. Although they are really effective on the grassy flood plain, on a slippery rock the size of a tea saucer, you can find yourself looking up with a wet back.

They take a couple days to dry out before you can wear them again in too deep of water.

>>As I mentioned before
If you are going to wade wet in the LeTort or any other stream its a good idea not to back into an electric fence.
However if you are looking for a memory that will last a lifetime I highly recommend this one.>>

This reminds me of something. Not so long ago, I was fishing a stream in Wisconsin and came to yet another hot wire (there are many here in cow country). This particular wire was just a little too high to step over and since I'm not as young as I used to be, I also didn't really want to drop down and crawl under it, having already done that 7 or 8 times that day already and I was tired of it.

So, I found a large, somewhat heavy stick and placed it on the wire to depress it low enough that I could step over. Which worked well until I accidentally bumped the stick as was bringing one of my feet over. It fell off the wire and the wire came up and zapped me right where I come to a point.

I had forgotten that the place I always feel a hot wire the most is in the fillings in my molars.
But I remembered about this in short order...

I agree, I try not to wade unless I have to or some streams that it is necessary. I have fished the Letort several times and will not wade it. Fished Falling Springs (love that stream) and stayed out. I do wet wade, but sometimes the temps don't allow. I do understand the importance of trying not disturb streams so they stay healthy. Too bad more guys don't try fishing this way. I have observed my fair share of guys just trudging through streams when they probably shouldn't. I like the concept on Spring Creek, the non-wading section. I love fishing that section. Sometimes putting on boots, waders and whatever else is a hassle. There, get out, rig up and fish.

People wade too much, but my waders are comfortable, and I'll often wear them just in case. Bank fishing is often the smarter approach, but I choose not to hamstring myself to it.

I find myself wading when I needn't, but I also believe in the cute rhetorical question: "Why cross the water with line when your waders will do just fine?"

There is something to be said for being able to slip them on as well. Plus, after fishing you can walk right in to your favorite sub shop with out having to pour your self out of wet waders and boots.

Last April at Penns we arrived at Poe Paddy only minutes before a heavy rain event. As soon as we parked I put on my boots and managed to do really well in short amount of time. The other guys lost what seemed like 20 minutes getting their waders on. Later that night Penns was pumping at 1000cfs, mocha. Every one wrote her off. Spinners from hatches only days before began to fall, as trout bunched up close to the bank they began to rise. I already had my boots on, and within minutes I was getting in to fish. All in all I got about an hour's fishing time the whole trip, but managed six browns. Muck boots on Penns at 1000cfs....Those guys couldn't believe it!!

It's not the boots! It's the heart in the boots. Fishing from shore should always come first. Too many people enter the water before even thinking about being stealthy on the shore while spooking a ton of fish in the process. You absolutely never know what is tucked under the shore bank. Just so you know.. water sandals and swim trunks will serve you just as well when things heat up. Now for pickers.. .....Lets see I actually do believe they have fishing chaps. (To protect all of the rest of our waders from brush) I think you could just about be wader free. I hate the time it takes me to gear up so to speak, but if I see a guy sprinting ahead of me in his muck boots, I'll wish I had mine.

In the cold weather however and bigger streams, I don't care how long it takes. I'll wader up.

Back