Waders for 250--simms or orvis (or other?)

Wildfish

Wildfish

I need a new pair of waders and with christmas around the corner I think now's the time to start asking.

Originally I wanted Simms. However the only pair in my price range (freestone) don't come in a size large with 12 shoes. So my other thought was the Orvis pro guide 3, which are on sale. However I've heard they had some leaking problems.

For the money (say, $250) what are your favorite waders? I'll be doing a lot of bushwacking/rocksliding hunting brookies, so that's kind of an issue...

Simms waders have shown themselves to be tough as nails in my experience.

They get my vote.

But apparently my feet are too big for my waist!
I do want the simms, just not sure I can fit my feet into the large stockings. Anyone else have this problem?

Orvis has had to replace my pro guide 3 waders twice since I bought them a few years ago. And many others had reported problems with them. But at least Orvis does stand behind them. I wouldn't buy them again though- even on sale.
Simms are probably better made IMO. But I wasn't happy with their customer service. They charged me to repair mine when I did return them. So, take your pick I guess
All waders leak eventually

Wildfish wrote:
But apparently my feet are too big for my waist!
I do want the simms, just not sure I can fit my feet into the large stockings. Anyone else have this problem?

I would go somewhere and try them on.

I wear a size 12, but the waders I have are rated for 9 to 11. It was such a good deal that I took them anyway. It was a little tight the first time I wore them, but I have no issues now. Neoprene is a pretty elastic material.

WF- if your brookie fishing primarliy I don't see the need for waders.

Hippers would be better since brookie streams are not that large. And in the warmer months I would'nt wear waders at all.

Check sierra trading post- they have good prices but limited sizes. Also- if you do not need the waders right away I would wait till after Christmas and catch some sales.

Bean's rapid river's sz L shoe size is 10-12

also check out Dan Baileys light weights

If it were me, I'd go up $50 bucks and get Patagonia.
They come in a long size with shoe sz from 11-13:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/mens-watermaster-waders-long?p=82450-0-050

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the recommendations and try to get to a shop to try on the Simms.

acristickid--this is true, and I do wear hippers most of the time. But I need some all purpose waders so I can move from stream to stream (to river) w/o costume changes.

Patagonia waders are made to allow the user to convert them into a wading pant.

my emerger LLbeans are convertibles.

2 trips out 2 good days on the water.

$100 and lifetime warranty.

you can buy simms l2's that are discontinued for less than 200 . i love my simms waders , i don't know how you would go trout fishing and wet wade unless you fish project waters or follow the beaten path , the brush on most brookie streams wouldn't feel too good in shorts in my opinion but each to their own

I'll second the Simms L2 waders. They are the best I've ever owned.

Take the $250 and put in the bank instead of purchasing your waders around Christmas time. Put a few bucks away each week till mid February and you should have enough to purchase a real good pair of Simms such as the G-3's. You will not use them much between now and Mid February any way.

There you go. Go with CRB's advice.

I would look into William Joseph waders. I have been rocking the same pair of DryNamics for 3 years of pretty heavy use, and they are still keeping me dry and comfy.

Raff - even though you apparantly haven't had to use it yet, what kind of warranty do those William Joseph waders have?

Seriously, if its brookie streams, either wet wade or wear hippers. Chest waders are just a hassle on those streams. I usually wear hippers. The rubber ones do just fine, but breathable hippers are nice too when you got a long, hot walk in front of you.

dryflyguy -

Since WillyJ is based in Salt Lake City (sigh) I know a lot of guys that say their CS is fantastic.

From the Fishwest.net website:
William Joseph Lifetime Warranty
You can rest assured that William Joseph's warranty is the best in the business.

Our commitment is an UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY. We don't care if you have a receipt or not, if you got it as a gift, or if you bought it at a garage sale. It doesn't matter if you backed over it with your truck, as long as its repairable, we will fix it for free, forever, no matter who's at fault and it's no questions asked.

No other manufacturer in the industry will provide this level of protection. Simply clean your pack or product (but DO NOT put it in your washing machine, ever) and call us at 800-386-7839 to obtain a return authorization number.

If you send your pack or product back without a return authorization number, we are not responsible for it being lost in the warehouse. We HIGHLY recommend that you use UPS, Federal Express, or some other shipping system that allows you to track your package. We have had many packages shipped to us and lost, due to poor delivery methods or lack of identification. DON'T let your pack be next!

You are responsible for shipping charges to and from us (WJ) for the repair.

Like I said, I've had buddies take in waders with holes, and come out with new pairs. The William Joseph/Vortex/Badlands people are pretty rock solid.

My last two pairs of Orvis (endura and clearwater leaked). Went to Simms and will never go back. Simms makes the best wader in my opinoin. My friend's Orvis waders (clearwaters) leaked and he liked my simms and swithced over and can't be more pleased.

Back