Wader thoughts/recommendations

elonDO

elonDO

I've got a pair of Redington CPS waders that I loved that sprung a leak in the bootie. I'm headed to Erie next week for steelhead and am contemplating a new pair of waders. There are three waders that i'm looking at at this time:

1- Redington CPX Waders $199 with a 2-year warranty
2- LL Bean Rapid River Waders $189 w/ a life-time warranty
3- Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders on sale for $250 from $350 w/ a life-time warranty

Any thoughts or anyone with good/bad experiences with any of these? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure this will get moved to the Gear Forum but...

LL Bean guarantee is solid, there's no question about that. I had the predicessor to the Rapid Rivers and they were good boots that lasted 4 years. One thing that I didn't like about them was that they were cut pretty tight around the ankles where the gravel guard goes over the boot.

I'm now using the Orvis PG 3's and absolutely love them. They're super comfortable and I like the stretch material. They're 5 ply and in my opinion ideal for heavy bush whacking and I believe will be ideal for fall/winter steelhead fishing. Orvis has a pretty good guarantee too, a bud of mine has sent 2 pair back and recieved new boots no questions asked. Orvis also has a great selection of harder to find sizes, although since these are on sale, I'm not sure what's left. Also they're generously cut in the legs. Can ya tell yet which way I'm leaning? LOL

I don't have any mileage with Redington boots, but 2 year guarantee vs. lifetime with Bean and Orvis is a no brainer when you factor in the price. I'm biased, but for $250, those Orvis boots are a great deal.

Dear elonDO,

Are they leaking pretty good or does your foot just get damp?

If the bootie is just getting damp you can probably salvage a couple of weekends worth of fishing with a pair of Gore-Tex socks. Even if that won't help you now the Gore-Tex socks are well worth the $ 20.00 they cost as they will probably come in handy one day down the road.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I thought Orvis had dropped their warranty, but maybe that was just for the Clearwaters. Or maybe they brought it back.

I don't have experience with any of these, but the way I feel about waders is that if you can get enough people saying they've had a certain type for several hundred uses without leaking, that maybe be the pair to go with. Wear and tear might not be covered by the warranty, so I would want to make sure I had a pair that lasted for long.

In my experience, the number one life-extender is built in neoprene gravel guards. If any of these don't have them, I'd take them out of he running.

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/siristwa.html

If you're a large-long, that's a great deal.

I would check cabelas. My friend got the same deal on those waders there, and he loves them. I only own two pieces of simms gear. G3 waders and a dry camera bag. I cannot afford most of their stuff, but in my experience with what I do have, it's worth every penny. If you're looking for high end waders, I cannot recommend them enough.

LL Bean Rapid River. Great fit and warranty

Rudeone put me on to Madison River Fishing Co.s' clearance sale. Very good prices on both Cloudveil & Patagonia waders. Might want to give it a look. As far as warranties, a friend of mine has a auto repair shop, he sells both AC Delco (great battery - good warranty) and Interstate (good battery- great warranty). I suppose wader companies are much the same.

wader choice is a little deceiving in my opinion , before you ask someone which wader they recomend , ask them first how often they fish and what types of conditions , if a guy fishes 2-3 times a month , 6 months a year only fishing project water that is a mowed grass yard behind a fly shop to get to the creek then his opinion might not carry as much weight as the guy who spends 20 times a month in his waders fishing open water and brookie streams , with this having been said i like my simms , they are expensive but i wouldn't buy a riding lawn mower at walmart to mow 4 acres every week , it may be cheaper to buy a john deere and be done with it

that last post is well put and I second everything he said.

best neoprene waders: Cabelas spring creek....
Best breathable waders: Sims G3

I have Simms Rivershed breatheables and have been happy with them. Had them almost a year with no problems.

I agree.....I've had a field day on Madison River Fishing Company's clearance sales....

Steve

Thanks for all the input. I ended up picking up a pair of Simms Rivershed waders on a closeout sale. I put them to the test this past weekend in Erie chasing steelhead & they were awesome. I'm certainly glad I found them. If I didn't find these I was leaning towards the LL Bean waders.

I'm with Jay. I have the Simms G3 and they are the best breathables I have ever had...worth the money in my humble opinion.

jayL..............i don't own waders , own hip boots , bought a pair of cabellas stocking foot , lightweight , breathable , also a pair of gravel guards and wading shoes/boots with velcro fasteners , paid less than $70 , was a package deal with the boots being a discontinued item , have used em 4 years now going on 5 and so far so good Cabellas will get the job done and didn't wait long for delivery.

Back