Wader Suggestions

Chetty82

Chetty82

I am 5'10" 250 lbs and have a size 10 shoe i have bought a pair of hodgmans every year for the last 4-5 years every pair i get the seam rips in the crotch region that little diamond pattern they got well it rips every time i tried waterproof silicone and line to repair them any one got a better wader suggestion that they wont rip on me every year

breathable vs neoprene vs rubber? boot foot vs stocking foot?

I recommend breathable waders with stocking feet. You can get a reasonably priced pair at any of the big box stores (cabela's, bass pro, gander, etc). For boots, the best value is the cabela's lightweights.

You can probably get a good setup (that should last 2-3 seasons, maybe more) for around $140 or so.

now with the breathables would you have to wear something warm under them cause they are not neoprene or would just regular jeans and socks do?

Chetty82 wrote:
now with the breathables would you have to wear something warm under them cause they are not neoprene or would just regular jeans and socks do?

It depends on the conditions.

From mid-late april until the end of october, I usually just wear jeans with cotton socks under them.

For cold conditions, I wear wool thigh high socks under them.

For frigid conditions (steelhead), I wear a fleece body suit (goes to my ankles) with the thigh high wool socks. I also throw foot warmers in the neoprene feet of the waders, but my legs stay warm.

so basicly dress warm in early spring late fall and dress cool in late sring and summer

Chetty82 wrote:
so basicly dress warm in early spring late fall and dress cool in late sring and summer

That about sums it up. Carry extra clothes, layers, and gear in your car until you get a feel for what you'll need. Nothing worse than sweating through your underlayers in the winter. As a bonus, you'll have warm clothes in case you take a spill.

You will be VERY thankful for the breathables in the summer.

Got one of these in the mail the other day...check out the bottom of page 20...

http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/7se/Wheeling/WebProject.asp?CodeReleaseId=7.0.0.0001&BookCode=7se09flx#

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=96GG&dir_id=12198&group_id=12205&cat_id=12244&subcat_id=12245

If I had the cash, I'd buy 5 pairs of these for myself. Look at the sizing chart, but the XL-Short size or the XXL-Short size is probably what you want and they're both in stock at this moment at $69.

This Orvis dealer in TN will ship for free. Not sure if they will honor the sale or have the stock, but I'd consider calling tham once you decide what you want and see if they are interested or would rather you deal direct. Or call your local dealer and see if they offer the same price.

Wow. I was within 1 cent.

Chetty,

With your frame, you might want a boot with better support than the cabela's ultralight. It depends on how good your ankles and balance are, but more expensive boots might be worth it. I have upgraded a bit, and feel that it's been really worth it.

Thats great the breathables i was looking at them earlier and they seem nice but i am still partial to the bootfoot cause a buddy of mine ahs stocking foot and the feet in them are huge had to wear a bigger size shoe because i think he got the wrong size

My father in law has the opposite problem. His booties are too small for his 15's. I'd suggest trying them on and not ordering by male. BTW Cabela's come in a "stout" size.

yeah i was looking at their catalog today i seen that i just am still skeptical cause their is not most places that will let you try them on before you buy them

Chetty82 wrote:
yeah i was looking at their catalog today i seen that i just am still skeptical cause their is not most places that will let you try them on before you buy them

Any of the stores I mentioned, as well as ****s will allow you to try them on. So will any reputable fly shop.

ok thanks for the info

Trust me, always better to go a bit bigger and where extra clothes/socks. I had a pair of boots too small and wearing them all day just killed my feet and comfort level for the day. Definitely go with the breathables and stocking foot. I like to wet wade in the summer and wear my boots without the waders.

I just picked up some stocking foot waders with boots at Bass Pro two weeks ago - $110 +/- a few bucks. They work well and seem to be pretty well constructed. No complaints. Tried on before I bought. I think they're redhead (?).

I agree blackfly the way in the summertime i do it is with sneakers and shorts too hot for waders

Instead of doing the sneakers, now (if you get the stocking foot and wading boots) you can use those wading boots. Good luck with your search and purchase.

Back