Wader soles: Rubber vs Felt

S

Sylvaneous

I have a couple decades of happy use with Aqua-Stealth soles in boots from LL Bean with factory studs. I have some bad experiences with Idro-grip Vibram soles.
It seems Aqua-Stealth and 5.10 as a company has been fading. With that, the Idro-grip seems entirely ascendent. And it seems felt has made a resurgence despite the worrisome occurances of invasive species. (I think the whiling disease hysteria has faded). But I do steelhead fish and would not like to carry so much snow and ice on already tired feet when I fish these streams under such conditions.

What are some of my experienced fellow anglers' experiences with this suspect Idro-grip?

Syl

I’m to the point I give up. Wading staff on every stream. The new rubber bottoms Simms designed for this year’s boots should come with an insurance clause.

A lot of waterways are now banning Felt-soled boots as they can transfer invasive algae from one river to another. I know in New Zealand they are banned altogether.

Some of the newest wading boots have interchangeable soles. But, to be honest, I would steer clear of felt soles and look at some of the newest rubber sole boots and combine it with a wading staff for additional safety.

Had a set of aquastealth and liked them just fine. Got a felt pair and realized how much better they grip. It's about what keeps you from falling on your butt. The long walks back to the car were much better with the rubber soles though.

troutbum32 wrote:
A lot of waterways are now banning Felt-soled boots as they can transfer invasive algae from one river to another. I know in New Zealand they are banned altogether.

Some of the newest wading boots have interchangeable soles. But, to be honest, I would steer clear of felt soles and look at some of the newest rubber sole boots and combine it with a wading staff for additional safety.

Thats actually incorrect. A lot of states are lifting the ban on felt boots because they found that the real contributor to spreading invasive species is waterfowl. There are several states or areas that have changed their opinions on the use of felt soles.

I currently have Kroker Wraptrs with the changeable soles. I still have the studded felts but after I put in their Vibram sole studded soles I haven't gone back to the felts. Felts still give the best grip in the stream I feel but do horrible in below freezing temps and mud. The Vibram studded soles I've liked so far. I HATED my Simms G3 Vibram soles. I thought out of all boots I ever worse those had the worst grip and they couldn't hold a stud to save their life!

bigjohn58 wrote:

Thats actually incorrect. A lot of states are lifting the ban on felt boots because they found that the real contributor to spreading invasive species is waterfowl. There are several states or areas that have changed their opinions on the use of felt soles.

That's good to hear.

I always suspected that it was a knee jerk reaction.

Besides, it's easily dealt with, if one is still hesitant to use felt.

I have three pairs of wading shoes. It usually isn't a big deal to rotate them, as I'm not a big stream hopper (multiple streams in one day). So a pair per day lasts a while, as most guys aren't able to fish more than three days in a row, on different streams every day.

I also set my boot soles in a mild bleach solution overnight, then allow them to dry thoroughly before reusing them.

If possible, between trips, I've been known to put them in a chest freezer and just leave them there.

Freezing, bleach, and thorough drying are all proven strategies for dealing with anything that may want to tag along and catch a ride with me.

It's usually worth noting that the rubber sole guys never give a second thought to the nylon or breathable material on their boots, or the mesh in their nets, or any of a list of other possibilities, but immediately point at felt soles.

ColdBore wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

That's good to hear.

I have three pairs of wading shoes. It usually isn't a big deal to rotate them, as I'm not a big stream hopper (multiple streams in one day). So a pair per day lasts a while, as most guys aren't able to fish more than three days in a row, on different streams every day.

I also set my boot soles in a mild bleach solution overnight, then allow them to dry thoroughly before reusing them.

If possible, between trips, I've been known to put them in a chest freezer and just leave them there.

Freezing, bleach, and thorough drying are all proven strategies for dealing with anything that may want to tag along and catch a ride with me.

It's usually worth noting that the rubber sole guys never give a second thought to the nylon or breathable material on their boots, or the mesh in their nets, or any of a list of other possibilities, but immediately point at felt soles.

You think of all the hiding places with rubber sole boots. Every bend where the laces are. The laces themselves. Even the little tab on the back most boots have to pull on. All hiding spots for invasive species. Honestly probably better hiding spots then the bottom of a felt sole.

Good point about the laces. I have seen a mud snail from Spring Ck lodged along a boot lace.

ColdBore wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

That's good to hear.

I have several pairs and rotate also. The biggest issue is if you stream hop hitting several streams in a day. Or on a camping trip when I don't bring extra wading boots. Back when Simms dropped most of their felt boots I was able to find a clearance sale about 75% off in boots of my size. I bought 4 pairs. Should last me a life time.

felt,always. i don't patronize states where they ban felt.

Back