Wader Repair

J

jmflyfisher

Looking for some suggestions for repairing the neoprene booties in my waders. The seams have pulled a bit, and while I've used aquaseal, I'd like to find some sort of tape or patch that may hold a little better. Anyone have any luck with a product that I should try? Thanks in advance!
JM

I too have a pair of 12 year old sims that the tape is has worn off. i too would like to reinforce those areas. I've found some boards discussing it but would like some honest feed back on do these methods work.

In my experience dealing with Simms and Orvis wader repair shops, according to them, when seams on the booties fail they are not repairable. The booties must be replaced if the upper part of the waders are in good enough shape to warrant it.

What is that "tape" on wader booties supposed to do?

Is the tape what is supposed to make the seams waterproof?

If so, it's a monumental design flaw. Because that tape always comes lose, and fairly soon. Then it peels off completely.

Mostly fly fishing tackle is now very good, whether it be rods, reels, lines, hooks, etc.,

But waders are lousy.

It seems like all the companies use the same basic design for stocking foot waders. And they soon leak. It's a FAILED technology. There must be a better way.

If they can put a man on the moon, they should be able to make a pair of waders that last at least 3 years before they start leaking.

troutbert wrote:

If so, it's a monumental design flaw. Because that tape always comes lose, and fairly soon. Then it peels off completely.

Mostly fly fishing tackle is now very good, whether it be rods, reels, lines, hooks, etc.,

But waders are lousy.

It seems like all the companies use the same basic design for stocking foot waders. And they soon leak. It's a FAILED technology. There must be a better way.

If they can put a man on the moon, they should be able to make a pair of waders that last at least 3 years before they start leaking.

AMEN!!!!!!! BTW They ALL leak way too fast, talking to you simms guys!!

troutbert wrote:

But waders are lousy.

Tape on the seams of booties as well as the uppers are not to make or keep the seam waterproof, necessarily. It is applied for strength at that point and keeping the seam from stretching and pulling apart the seam exposing the needling holes where it is stitched.

Breathable waders are not that durable, given the nature of the materials used. If you want durability, you can go back to the old canvas or rubber waders worn in the past that often lasted for a decade or more.

The choice is yours. :roll:

I like putting Tenacious tape over the Aquaseal. Any thin nylon tape will do though.

I make sure to use a sufficient amount of Aquaseal to squeeze a bit of the bead so it goes outside of the tape so you are relying on the stick of the aquaseal and not of the tape.

Back