Wader question

P

poopdeck

Going down to sea isle in a couple weeks for some boat and surf fishing. I normally surf fish in rubber boot waders but they are no more. I have never used breathable waders and wading boots in the salt since I have a belief that the salt water will ruin them right quick.

I'm wondering if the salt water does in fact destroy breathable waders and or felt wading boots? I am interested in what others wear in the salt.

i use breathables and boots. The biggest problem I have is the sand getting in the boots and rubbing around as you walk. Bootfoot is a better option because of this.

poopdeck wrote:
Going down to sea isle in a couple weeks for some boat and surf fishing. I normally surf fish in rubber boot waders but they are no more. I have never used breathable waders and wading boots in the salt since I have a belief that the salt water will ruin them right quick.

I'm wondering if the salt water does in fact destroy breathable waders and or felt wading boots? I am interested in what others wear in the salt.

Breathable waders work well in SW as long as you take the time to hose them off well and dry them properly each time you use them.

If you only fish the salt a few times / year stocking foot waders with boots work okay. As ebroesicke posted above, inevitably sand gets under you gravel guards and into your boots. Not good.

If you fish the salt on the beach more often, I would recommend using bootfoot waders.

Considering that I mainly fish salt may throught june and September till fish turn off probably out 100 times a year. I have a pair of cabelas breathable waders. Going on their third year now. Dont wash them just leave them in the back of my car. A few pin holes but thats it. If we are talking boots yea I go through a pair ever two years. Sand is your biggest problem but I think you will be fine. Best part is I got the waders for 15 buck at a yard sale.

breathable with low flats booties = no sand in boot for warm weather
bootfoot in cold water season = nov - april
had a pair of Hodgeman boot foot go 6 years and that's over 200 salt days a year for all 6 years.

Great advice from all thank you. I only get out to the beach a few times a year since I do more from a boat. But with retirement looming I plan to get on the beach more. I'm gonna replace the boot foot waders for the salt. Thanks

Back