Wader Options Wanted

F

Flydog

Happy New Years to all...
I am in need of a new pair of waders. There a post that request thoughts on Simms. What about Orvis or Cabelas? I am replacing a five year old set of Silver Labels, and am thinking about the Orivs Pro Guide. Hey, I quess that if I got five years out of the Silver Label was not bad.....the first three years I fished on average once a week. Not bad, right???

If you don't want to spend much I'd go with Cabelas. They have several pairs for around $150 and under. I have the River Guides and love them. IF you are going to go more expensive then I guess Sims would be a good bet but I'm still not sold on spending close to $400 on a pair of waders. I'm just not an Orvis fan EXCEPT for their waiding shoes because I can send them back everytime they break and can get a free pair and thats usually once a year.

Dear flydog,

I've been happy with Orvis waders. Just this year I retired a 9 year old pair of Orvis Clearwaters and replaced them with a pair of Silver Labels that I bought a couple of years ago on closeout.

If I was starting from scratch I've give the Orvis Endura's a good look at $ 129.99.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I just purchased a pair of Cabela's for $129 on sale. They are probably going to last me a few years and I fish 2-3 times a week. I think the sale ends soon though.

I like the Dan Bailey waders I got at Feathered Hook.

I'll have to go with Pad, Dan Bailey's best waders I've ever owned!

I bought a pair of Cabelas waders and they started leaking in less than a year. Same results with Hodgman. Same with the old Red Ball waders. Same with Orvis Lightweights, I think they were called. I bought a pair of Orvis hippers and they lasted about 2 years before they started leaking, which is better than most.

I've heard good things about the Dan Bailey waders, and intend to give them a try next time.

I read that most of the guides in New Zealand don't even use waders. They wear shorts and long underwear and wading shoes. So they get wet but the long underwear keeps their legs warm (sort of) while wading.

I bought a pair of Orvis proguides last spring and have been happy with them so far - I really like the look and fit.
As for how long they'll last me - time will tell

I had a pair of Cabela's waders that I purchased for $159 on sale. I do not remember the model. They began to leak after 1 year of use. In April, I purchased a pair of Sir Francis waders, which have the Riri waterproof zipper. I really like this feature for several obvious reasons. I also like the more "trim" fit, as they are less likely and don't get snagged on branches, etc. as often as baggy cut waders. They also have more layers of fabric on the front of the legs and the seat. They cost $425. I am interested to see if there is a difference in durablilty between the two. I am sure I would be considered hard on waders, as I fish an average of 2.2 days per week, all year round. I am also more willing than many to crawl under, over, up, down or through most any obstacle if I believe fish await on the other side. In spite of this, I certainly hope to get more than 1 year of use from $425 waders.

Ken,

Before buying the Orvis waders I highly recommend going to the Downingtown store and trying them on. I also was eyeing the Pro Guides but after trying them on the XL was too big and the L was too small. Good thing I didn't mail order them. I too have had very good luck with silver labels.

I ended up buying the Cabelas Gold label at Cabelas, after trying on every set of waders that fit me there, including the Simms. I had the discount coupon from Cabelas that made the deal even better. If you do go with those and get the stocking feet wader, check out the Guide Tech boots also, they are very comfortable, offer a lot of support, and are light in weight. I've had them about a year now with excellent comfort and no leaks.

beeber

Ken,

If you don't go with the orvis, which I recommend, go next door to Dave's and look at Hodgeman.

In between all the brand names, I'd be seriously curious to know how many wader manufacturers we are actually talking about that everybody (at least those not made stateside) simply takes and labels with their brand name.

In any event, I am very rough on equipment. I bust a lot of brush and find a lot of coils of barbed wire with my boot legs. In that light, here are my most recent observations on waders:

I've not had good luck with Cabelas waders. I went through 2 pairs in as many seasons. Some of it was indifferent care and me not paying attention, but an equal amount of the problem was crappy manufacture.

I had a pair of the low end Orvis and they lasted a season and a half.

Right now, I'm wearing Bean's (the mid-price or roughly $160 ones). They made a full season without incident, but developed wear leaks in the back of both neoprene heels.

I mostly fish in waist highs these days and think the Hodgeman Wading Pants aren't bad. They take a lot of abuse for as light as they are.

I'm giving serious consideration to buying a pair of the Cabelas 400 denier waders for 50 bucks and then taking them to the Korean lady who does our cleaning and having her convert them into waist highs. I bet they'd turn barbed wire....

I have three different brands of waders that have treated me well.

I have the Simms RiverTek waist/chest waders and so far I like them although they have the least use and I hate the color.

I have a pair of the Cabela's Dry Plus G II that are great for the money. I use them with my belly boat. My first pair started leaking after almost three years and the good folks at Cabela's in Hamburg replaced them, no questions asked even though they were two years out of warranty.

The last pair are Hodgeman Wadelight hippers that get used a lot and other than the gator hook coming off twice they are holding up great. They are at least three seasons old.

But in all honesty the last two years I waded wet most of the time with wading shoes and a pair of long microfiber pants. It is the ONLY way to fish IMHO. Last year I was wet wading from May until the end of October so now I only use waders during the winter and late fall.

Any feedback on Dan Baily waders? I noticed a realy nice pair on their web site, they had a zipper in the front. Can you get Dan Baily products around PA?

Jonas at The Feathered Hook in Coburn stocks Dan Bailey waders.

A brand I can vouch for, over Cabela's, Hodgman, and most Orvis is Chotas. The Backwoods Angler over the line in MD on the Gunpowder has them.

tl
les

Flydog wrote:
Can you get Dan Baily products around PA?

Feathered Hook in Coburn has them...

Maurice wrote:
Flydog wrote:
Can you get Dan Baily products around PA?

Feathered Hook in Coburn has them...

They have a website. www.thefeatheredhook.com but if you can, I would go there (and fish Penns!) for a fitting. Any waders you get should fit well. Waders that are too tight leak at the seams after just a little wear. Waders that are too loose will seep through. Jonas is very good at fitting ppl with the right size, and DB makes a variety of sizes... talls, stout, etc

Back