Wader/gear storage options?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys and Gals,

Been going back and forth on storage option for my gear, so maybe this fine forum can help.
Option one, a bag similar to this:
white-river-fly-shop-deluxe-wader-bag

Option two is just a simple storage bin:
Home-Depot-plastic-storage-tote-review.png

JH

I prefer the bin

I used the bin for a long time. I switched over to the bag and like it just as much. The bin was just take everything off and chuck it in, the bag you actually have to zipper it all up lol.

I use a laudry basket... allows for quicker drying.

I use both. My waders, boots, gravel guards go into the tub. I leave the lid off. My fly bag, reels, net and related equipment goes into a large bag like was shown above. I found I take a bit more gear with me by having the large bag. However it gets left in the back of the truck while I'm fishing. It has saved a few days fishing (for others) by having an extra few items that I can't do without.

I use this bag and really like it for my small gear(reels,spools,extra fly boxes.First Aid kit...) This bag is on sale at Cabela's for $29.99 and worth every penny. As far as my waders and boots. I always hang them up to dry when I get home and that's where the stay until the next outing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4
Until Christmas, I've been using a Sam's Club shopping tote/bag. It holds my boots and waders and kept things from making a mess in the back of the truck or the trunk of the car. $4 original purchase price.

I received a new bag for Christmas but the jury is still out on that one.

I use both but just for transportation, when I get home everything gets hung up. Bin is easier to clean after getting all muddy.

For wading boots and waders, I use the bin. Rinse it, dry it, stow it. Not to mention, the lid makes a nice place to stand when you're donning/doffing the waders so you don't have to step on stones, etc.

I always hang my waders. A lot less stress on tape seams. The only time they may be folded is when I'm headed to the river or on the way home.

Delta, thanks for the bag tip, I went staight to Cabellas and picked one up

wgmiller wrote:
For wading boots and waders, I use the bin. Rinse it, dry it, stow it. Not to mention, the lid makes a nice place to stand when you're donning/doffing the waders so you don't have to step on stones, etc.

and you can glue/epoxy a square of foam or carpet tile to the back side to make it comfy to stand on. ;-)

i use the tub - waders and boots in the bottom, jacket on top, fly boxes hats gloves etc all in a backpack.

after fishing i hang the waders upside down, soak the boots in boiling water and a splash of white vinegar (after fresh water) or hose them in the sink if i've been striper fishing to get the salt off.

when they are dry they both go back in the tub, ready to go at the last minute...

Plastic bin for waders and boots, old wrestling duffle for gear. Simple and effective.

I use the bin as well.

I the bin for my boots & waders. I'll use a blue Ikea Shopping bag for the rest of my gear. These bags are large, cheap, relatively sturdy, and somewhat water resistant to keep certain items dry when transporting for short period of time.

When I get home the boots get cleaned & both boots and waders get hung to dry. Usually stay there until the next outing.

another advantage of a bin, is that it doesn't look like it has expensive fishing kit in it unlike a smart bag with a brand label on it.

which makes me feel better about parking the wagon while i'm fishing.

I am a bin guy since I carry lots of extra stuff. Have found that the handles wil break and crack.

Back