Wader decision, help

pabowhunter14

pabowhunter14

I am in need of new waders this year had a set of Redinton Sonic Pro Zip Front Waders that lasted 3 years (liked them but not the best quality or fit) and have been looking at the Filson Breathable 5-Layer Stockingfoot $349.99 or the Simms G3 Stockingfoot $429.99. I know most people are familiar with Simms but really like the looks of the Filson. I want qualitly and durability rather than looks though. So give me some help to make a good decision.

Redington sonic pros have only been out for 1 year
You've had them for 3?

I have never had, or even seen a pair of the Filson waders. I can tell you I have many of thier products and everything I have bought from them is top notch. I just bought a new pair of Simms and didn't even think of Filson or I'd probably have taken a close look at them.

Sorry I had the CPX first style of front zip they came out with.

G3 you won't regret it.

pabowhunter14 wrote:
Sorry I had the CPX first style of front zip they came out with.

i've never heard anything good abot the CPX

I would look at the sonic pros
I have a pair and compare the fit to simms, great features, long lasting, and esier on the wallet

as for the filson
i wouldn't buy them
- imported... so you really have no idea who is mking them
- "5 layer proprietary"... while that sounds good in print, what does it really mean... its not gore-tex or a similar product that is established in wader manufacturing

the "filson" trimmings are nice
but i'm not going to buy waders based on "Bridle Leather trim/brass button closures/ Mackinaw wool lined hand warmer pockets"

Another vote for the G3s. I love mine!

I've never spent more than $200 on a pair of waders, so I'm no help here. 3 years seems to be the average life expectancy for me, though. Little over 2 till first leak, which kicks off my season of fighting leaks with home repairs, but by the end of that season I say heck with it and buy anew.

I am currently on my first set of stocking foot waders (I loved boot foot until I started doing more walking to secluded streams). Mine are Cabelas and I think I paid $159 for waders and boots. I am on my second set of boots but the waders are still going strong. I've had to fix a couple of leaks, Mainly on seams, but other than that I think I'm going on 2 years and I should get another year barring my stupidity. That said, my next set will be LL Bean's because of their warranty. I called them about their warranty and I was told in no uncertain terms, "We do not guarantee the products we sell, we guarantee your satisfaction". So that tells me if I get a leak for any reason other than my stupidity, I can take them back. I can probably get repalcements even if I cause the issue but my guilt would cause me sleepless nights!

I had a post about 5 months ago on this topic......end of the story was a pair of Redington Sonic Pros (not zips) from backcountry.com for $249.

I've had them out at least 10 times. They fit great and are not bad to hike in at all. I would say that the dimensions listed for size seem a little small but since you already had a pair of Redingtons then you should have a good idea about size if you go this route.

I thought hard about the simms but I couldn't justify the price for a wader I plan on taking through laurel, jaggers, and brush over the (hopefully) next couple of years.

Long story short I can only say good things about the sonic pro and if they make it through next year I'll only say great things about them.

Just bought my $379.00 Redington Sonic Pros with the zipper front and I am delighted. I especially like the "hand warming" pockets for fishing this time of the year. They are so comfortable that I could probably wear them to the Chadds Ford Tavern for an apres [that's french for "after" for those of you that don't ski] an apres fishing beer. The only problem I have with the waders is the cuff clip is a struggle to attach and then un-attach to the laces on my Orvis side zip boots. Maybe this will get better with time. I used to use Cabelas waders that cost a 100 bucks or so. Didn't see where buying more expensive waders would make a difference. It does IMHO. Thus for us older FFers zip waders and zip boots are an incredible combo IMHO.

I have Redington Sonic Pros Zip front stockingfoot bought em this past spring (2011} the Zip front kicks butt an they fit even better than my last pair of Redington Barrierflex i had since 97 or 98 i'd have to get the reciept out to verify, I wanted a pair of Simms G3 or G4's .Went an got the Redingtons, and they literally improved the cut an fit, yes that damn clip sucks but you could sand it a whisker its made of plastic an will clip to your shoestrings easier,one thing i know is once you have your gaitors clipped they stay clipped.Redington really hit the nail on the head im actually considering a second pair.
now i will be buying a pair of Simms Rivershed or Korkers Metalheads not sure yet i really like the reinforced sides of the rivershed,but the Korkers innovative sole system is a great idea as well.
I wouldn't hesitate buying another pair of Redington Sonic Pro Zip Fronts, and if you prefer the Simms G3's and even better their G4's are great too,one thing is for sure you will have extra cabbage to but other goodies if you buy the Redingtons!
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Rick I wrote to Redington re the cuff clip and here is the response:

"Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I like the idea of creating a small diameter cheater loop for you to attach to your laces. Make sure it is a diameter that fits well. Just double a 3" piece of line and knot it and put it through your laces. You are good to go.

Unless you are in turbid conditions, if its too much hassle, I would simplhy not clip it on. The gathers are usually enough to keep the cuff down.

David
-REDINGTON CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Kevin,
I hear ya on the clip,thats the only flaw an it isnt a bad flaw either i have had that brass clip like a speed lace on a hiking boot rip out of the belting that they used to have for the attachment to your laces, i would have thought maybe a a small carabiner or clip would have been a better choice,plastic does go after a few years an it loses the oils in it..becomes brittle..who knows maybe this clip wont..all i can say is that im plannin on a 2 pr of sonic pro zips as a backups i love em,simms makes a greata product as well but i feel my sonic pros will go toe to toe against the G4's.
Thats my opinion yours may vary due to use an milage!
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

the redingtons give you more bang for the c
buck. let the guides wear simms as they are in them more often than those of us that have to balance a full time job and sneaking fishing into the equation. again imho

If you want the simms fit, and don't want to spend the money on G3s or G4s, try the Simms Freestone Stocking Foot waders for $229. They have the same fit as the G series waders, but the legs are not made with the 5 layer gortex fabrick. These would be perfect if you don't fish that much or just want to get a dam good pair of waders for less than $250. Compare the Simms Freestone to the reddington beofre you make a purchase. I have never been very happy with anything apperal made by reddington. Ive bought quick dry fishing pants, fleece wader pants from reddington and neither fit well. Both are too loose or too tight in the wrong places. The only things I'll consider buying from reddington are rods and reels. I think they make a damn good rod for the price.

Back