Wadeing jacket

SBecker

SBecker

Looking at the ll bean Emerger II or the Sage Skagit, each are right at 100 dollars. Looking for recommendations on either one or something that is comparable.

I have the emerger. It's a great jacket for the price.

Dont know anything about the jackets but on a quick look- it appeared the Sage jacket is pretty long.

Might hang down and get wet in the water- cant say for sure but it just appeared that might be the case. I would not like that.

Sure - NOW you're looking.

Check with JayL about the Emerger jacket. It's nice, but on the thin side - great warm weather jacket. It'd do nicely if you plan on layering, like with a fleece jacket underneath.

Talk to me Friday - I may have one more trick up my sleeve...

Ed's analysis is spot on. I like the thinner jackets, because I can't afford to have both warm and cold weather wading jackets. You have to layer with it, but it's wearable in warmer weather too. Since I hate vests and chest packs, I wear the jacket whenever possible. It's nice so far.

Thats what I am thinking. I was looking at the Hodgmen jacket but it seemed to be to warm. Figured I would go with a lighter Waterproof one and just layer. Does the Emerger have the Neoprene Cuffs? I kinda like the Skagit look.

jayL wrote:
....It's nice so far.

And it will be - forever. Leon Leonwood Bean said so. :cool:

I'd have one myself if I didn't already have three wading jackets. My Simms jacket is very similar to the Emerger, and I have an ancient Hodgman jacket that is great for cold weather use, but will make you grow worms when it's warm outside. Poor Richards still sells them for around $80.

Thin is the way to go - much more versatile (and packable).

Exactly. The bean guarantee is tops. I like the jacket enough that I'll be getting most of my outdoor gear from the bean from now on. Being friends with the HA the "dealer" is certainly a plus. :)

Yeah - that does help. :)

The Bean has a young guy that is a real trout bum in charge of product development. He's really sharp, and a "hands-on" type of guy. I expect great things and cutting edge products from the Bean, as far as fishing products go.

I'll agree with the emerger, great jacket.

However, Patagonia has some wicked sales going on right now. Check the web specials.

jayL wrote:
Exactly. The bean guarantee is tops. I like the jacket enough that I'll be getting most of my outdoor gear from the bean from now on.

This.

If I want something, LL Bean is always the first catalogue I check.

jayL wrote:
Being friends with the HA the "dealer" is certainly a plus. :)

Membership in the Heritage Network has its privledges.

I've been a big fan of Bean's Pac-Lite jackets for a long time. It's light and folds up small enough to fit in my pack. I keep it back there rain or shine. It's breathable and has kept me dry in monsoons and makes a great shell jacket for layering.

can't do anything but add another vote for Bean. The only problem i have is that i feel like a damn Bean model with all their stuff on.

The one thing i can't figure out with that jacket is that the brochure ware says it can fold inside of its own pocket. I can't figure out how to do it, i just fold it as tight as i can i tuck it away in a pack pocket.

Guess I will be getting the Emerger II then. Thanks everybody for the input.

tobewan77 wrote:
can't do anything but add another vote for Bean. The only problem i have is that i feel like a damn Bean model with all their stuff on.

Beats looking like a Cabela's model, which is what I've gone through more than a few times.

tobewan77 wrote:
The one thing i can't figure out with that jacket is that the brochure ware says it can fold inside of its own pocket. I can't figure out how to do it, i just fold it as tight as i can i tuck it away in a pack pocket.

You're going to need to increase your intake of the spice-melange in order to learn how to fold space-time like a Stage 3 Guild Navigator, sir.

I'm really behind 'cause i have no idea what any of it means. Made me laugh tho.

It looks like Bean doesn't say that in the jacket description anymore. Still, great jacket.

tobewan77 wrote:
I'm really behind 'cause i have no idea what any of it means. Made me laugh tho.

Sometimes, it shows you're a better person if you didn't know what it means.

For a little extra cash Red truck/ Leland has the Simms Classic guide on sale right now. I own one and you can't beat GorTex period! You get what you pay for. I've been in damn near hurricanes and have stayed dry. Nothing is worse than wet and cold. I prefer a performance shell because layering is the way to go anyways; fishing; hiking; hunting; snowboarding; whatever. The shell will cut all wind keeping your core temp more stable and keep you dry while allowing your body to breath. I've gone GorTex in all of my demanding gear over the last couple years and won't ever go back. It is costly, but that's why I have treated myself to one or two pieces of gear each years depending on what's needed more. This year was hunting. Good luck

IMO can't beat Simms especially if you get one on sale. Gore-Tex is great.

I have the Sage Skagit that I got from Red Truck for around $140. Had it a year now and I really like it. Lots and lots and lots of pockets. Lined hand warmers. Large hood fits over ball cap and hooded sweatshirt. It is lined with a light microfleece or something, which was imperative to me as I can't stand the feel of certain materials. Water proof, warm, neoprene cuffs with velco wraps around the wrist, net d ring on back. It's an all around winner.

Back