Wade fishing for Winter Smallies

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Requesting help to identify 2 or 3 PA towns, rivers, creeks w legit opportunity to wade fish for Smallies this winter.

Early research has identified Susky, Juniata, Allegheny, and Clarion.
Tho, to this point, not much info specific to the " Winter Wading" part.

Def not a Stillwater guy.

Please don't banish me if I am forced to bring along my spinning gear & soft plastics.

ThankYou

Can only speak for the Allegheny in Forest and Warren county area. Winter flows are usually anywhere from 2-4 feet higher in the winter than the summer. There’s probably a few areas with public access you could hit but don’t think you’d be able to safely wade that time of year.

Yeah. You’re looking in the right places. Look at the larger tributaries of those systems too. The ones that border on large creek/small river. They may be a little more manageable to get around in in Winter.

Biggest issue you will have is dealing with the generally higher flows and cold water making it tough to wade and get into position. The fish will be in deep slow eddies. Look for those, but understand it may be more a fishing from shore type of deal in the Winter. In which case, yes, spinning gear is probably more effective. In colder weather for Smallies I literally dead drift everything, even big streamers, slow and deep, lots of shot. When the drift stops, you either have a fish, or get to tie on a new streamer (or tube or jig).

Back