W. Valley Creek

S

surveyor06

Does anyone know if W. Valley gets a decent Sulphur hatch? I am struggling to find any streams in the downingtown/exton area that gets a decent hatch. Work/home have been keeping my fishing pretty close to home these days. Normally I would make a trip to the lehigh valley, but these days its tough. Id appreciate some feedback. PMs welcome. Thanks.

Have you tried to fish Valley Creek in the park? Every time I have gone there is always some type of hatch going on. I was out there Saturday and was having a blast catching tons of fish on a caddis and griffins. it might be worth a try if your looking to catch fish on a dry fly

Makee,

I fish Valley Creek pretty often, and do run into those hatches, even some bwo. I'm specifically looking for Sulphurs. Not being a snob, I just like to fish that hatch, and don't get a chance to every often. Thank you though. I agree Valley Creek is probably my best bet for dry fly, just probably not for sulphurs.

It's been a few years and unless something has changed my recollection was that Valley had a pretty healthy sulphur hatch right at dusk. Fish leaping out of the water, for 16s and 18s then even smaller as the weeks go on. An ingenious tie I saw deployed there was a dry with the entire body of hackle, like a wooly dry, to emulate the hovering sulphurs dispensing their eggs.

Go now.

surv - Unfortunately, the once fabulous sulphur (Dorothea) hatch on Valley has been seriously deficient for some years now. I keep hoping they will return. The caddis were similarly excellent some years ago, then they diminished. But the last several years in the fall and spring they have been returning.

West Valley has had fairly consistent sulphurs, though they are late this year, like everywhere else, due to the cool spring.

lestrout,

Good to know, Ive only fished West Valley once before off of cover mill rd. I saw fish, but the didn't seem like there was a lot of holding water. I will have to give it another shot. I think it might be my best bet for finding sulphurs close to home. Do you wish it often?

I'm not all that familiar with the clover mill road section, but I think you may find better holding water and insect life downstream from there. A local club stocks downstream of the DHALO limits and there are several pulloffs where you can access the stream. This was always my favorite part of west valley.

sarce,

Excellent thank you. Its feels good to post again, its been a while because of buying a house. Hast left too much time for much else.

Back