W.D. Wetherell books

R

rrt

I am re-reading stuff I haven't read for a while. I just re-read W.D. Wetherell's "Vermont River," and it was a nice read. He does stray from actual fishing at times, though. I am now on "Upland Stream," and it also reads quickly. I plan to finish re-reading my 3 Wetherell books, the third being "One River More." For those of you who enjoy reading, Wetherell's writing is excellent, and when he is actually fishing in the books, you do feel like you're there. (Yes, I actually do fish; I don't just read. In fact, I might fish as many as parts of 150 days this year; I can't help myself.)

To RLeeP: I recall your writing ability and style. I think you have a lot of good things that you could and should put into a book. I wish you would write one.

W. D. Wetherell is one of my favorite authors. Like Thomas McGuane, he is a novelist as well, and the fishing books he has written are more inspired than deliberate. You can tell he wrote Vermont River because he had to; the muse compelled him, and that emotion shows in the descriptions and themes woven within the prose.

The way Vermont River ends -- at the source -- is as wonderful as any of my own climbs along the laurel and hemlock banks of Pennsylvania's mountain brook trout water.

p.s. I just recently learned the "W." stands for Walter. Here is a good interview with the author:

http://www.identitytheory.com/people/birnbaum24.html

I am now done re-reading all 3 Wetherell books. The third, "One River More," is, IMO, the best of the three and is worth buying despite very poor editing of pronoun agreement. Every singular indefinite pronoun is matched with a plural personal pronoun--ARRGH! But, maybe that's just the former English teacher in me. Otherwise, the book stays on fly-fishing quite well. "Vermont River" is also worth buying, but unless you're interested in a book that is 3/4 off the topic of fly-fishing, I wouldn't buy "Upland Stream." The other two are fine, with "One River More" being excellent. They are certainly much better than the many how-to manuals out there, unless you are just getting into fly-fishing and are looking for how-to help.

Back