"Volunteers removed debris and rebuilt several dams..."

steveo

steveo

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=385277

What are the chances they got a permit for this work? Mike do you know if there were permits for this? Nice that the community came together to help warm the stream and remove habitat. I guess it's ok because it's all for the children!

On PCN the other day they were televising the PA State Assoc of Townships Spring Conference. Rep Sam Smith was speaking and the largest round of applause came when he reference getting rid of red tape to clean out streams to reduce flooding. Essentially put the yellow iron in there, clean-em out and make them a drainage trough. I am not joking.

Yellow Iron=backhoe?

Osprey

Yes...yellow iron = backhoe, etc.

FYI - I have seen the work by these "volunteers" in the article. Its not all that bad and over small stretch of water. This is largely a put and take fishery, at least in this stretch on Furnace Creek. The kids do have a good time at this event. However, what these "volunteers" should do is restore or breach the dams when the rodeo is over to allow fish to move more freely. However, what typically happens, the next high water event usually blows them out anyway.

The tree the article discussed, that was down needed to go, it was a massive Sycamore tree. It was creating a hazard and if we got another flood event, it would have caused big problems.

That said, I believe the stream structure improved from the past flood that had created some nice habitat and narrowed the stream bed a bit. Some nice runs and plunge pools were created.

I know of a local stream issue where town residents want the stream cleaned (dredged or any means necessary) to clean it out in an effort to reduce flooding. The DEP was very upfront about wanting them to find alternative ways to "fix" the stream instead of dredging it. The DEP, at least on this issue, seems to be doing their part to protect the waterway. Of course, some politicians as you have cited claim this to "red tape".

I realize that that section of Furnace is a put and take stream. Why is it that they can get away with building dams and we (our TU Chapter) get hassled if we so much as move one rock in the stream without the proper permit?

steveo wrote:
I realize that that section of Furnace is a put and take stream. Why is it that they can get away with building dams and we (our TU Chapter) get hassled if we so much as move one rock in the stream without the proper permit?

As always, report it.

I have reported it. I'll let you know what kind of response I get.

Back