Voluntary Wild Trout Permit details on what it will fund

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
From the PFBC site the link below includes info about all voluntary permits offered >

Voluntary Wild Trout & Enhanced Waters Permit

Annual Permit Cost: $25 plus $1.90 vendor fee

This permit will be used to benefit wild trout and will not be used on stocked trout programs or projects.

Funds will be used to:

• Support projects to upgrade the quality of a trout fishery that results in an increase of the stream’s classification (Example: Class B to Class A)

• Improve in-stream habitat, such as adding large woody debris or limestone sand dosing for acidic streams

• Fund gill lice research on wild Brook Trout

• Leverage other funding to support removal of culvert blockage work

• Support efforts to maintain and improve Pennsylvania’s Best Wild Trout Fishing Waters

• Help prevent the spread of invasive species through signage and public education

• Develop a climate change strategy for wild trout

• Mitigate the impacts from hemlock declines/loss of shading for
coldwater streams

Link to source >
https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/FishingLicense/Documents/VoluntaryPermits.pdf

Edit:

Another article with info on the voluntary permits >

PFBC Voluntary Permits

Just beginning.

Look forward to hearing about some of the projects as they move forward.

I won't opt in until the previous years' budgets for wild trout projects, from just license sales, are published. In addition to the amount that will be set aside from the voluntary permit. I'll happily throw in for a voluntary permit once there's some transparency that shows the allocations.

Steve, you will likely be waiting until 2021 then, as from my understanding no projects will be planned and/or implemented until the amount of money available is realized. I know this may sound strange to non-govt folks, but it is hard to plan work when you have no idea on what the budget could be. If there only ends up being a small pot of money, you can't expect to see a lot of work accomplished.

I'm tempted to donate to all 4 programs with a 1-year commitment, but boy does that really make it an expensive license for the year. I'll at least do the trout and probably the bass, too. This is the longest into a year that I've ever gone without purchasing a license. I still haven't fished yet this year. I'm glad that the PFBC gave some general guidelines on what this stuff will be used for.

jifigz wrote:
I'm tempted to donate to all 4 programs with a 1-year commitment, but boy does that really make it an expensive license for the year. I'll at least do the trout and probably the bass, too. This is the longest into a year that I've ever gone without purchasing a license. I still haven't fished yet this year. I'm glad that the PFBC gave some general guidelines on what this stuff will be used for.

you can buy your regular fishing license / trout stamp for the season now or any time.

The voluntary licenses can be purchased at any time before or after you purchase the mandatory licenses which allow your fishing privileges.

Thanks for sharing. I bucked up without a lot of these details out there yet, I think. Makes me feel better about it.

Our Poll indicates roughly 50% of those who bought a trout stamp or combo stamp (40/79) bought wild trout stamps. That is encouraging.

while the F&BC promises to dedicate the stamp funds toward their respective namesake there is no guarantee that the amount donated will not be deducted from their previous respective budgets.

But I am proud to say I bought both the wild trout and the habitat stamps. I am eager to see how they are used and the totals accumulated toward the PF&BC budgetary concerns.

But here is what I think will happen...Any monies collected for specific stamp categories will be moved into their respective budgets and equal values from those budgets will be displaced to general funds. But I don't care if the offset is spent on pensions, stocking or christmas parties. I know that I contributed toward a purpose I am passionate about.

I bought the one that is for General Conservation. Forget the exact name of it. I used to hunt, but haven't for many years. I worry that if hunting interest collapses, all that Game Land will get sold off and posted or developed.

>>I worry that if hunting interest collapses, all that Game Land will get sold off and posted or developed.>>

Not a completely unreasonable concern to be sure..

What I think is more likely is that we'll get to a place where all who wish to use these lands from anglers to hikers and birders to just folks looking for a nice rock outcropping to do their Zen will have to buy a permit to do so. This will end up with user conflicts and some traffic management as to who gets to use what land when, but it will be much preferable to losing the land from the public trust.

I'm in for all the voluntary permits except Musky. Bass, trout, habitat, etc. What's more, I wasn't paying real close attention while I was doing it and ended up buying 3 years for everything. Left the issuing agent about $220.00 lighter what with the 3 year senior license and all the permits. Oh well, at least I won't have to worry about it for 3 years.

Wheee..

As before, I don't buy it. Why. The state has tied there shoe's before putting them on.

Ohio burners have to go and reduce acid rainfall on Pa.

Believe it or not. Fish find it harmful and reduces if not destroys reproduction.

Am I a scientist ---No. Do I know what I am talking about. Probably not. Do I feel I have made you think a little and possibly some truth exists.----Hell yeah.

What I think is more likely is that we'll get to a place where all who wish to use these lands from anglers to hikers and birders to just folks looking for a nice rock outcropping to do their Zen will have to buy a permit to do so

This is mostly true of public land in Colorado and it gets plenty utilized.

Back