Vises

W

wsender

Right now, I'm tying on the cheap vise that came with my Bass Pro Shops tying kit. It definitely served it's purpose, and I've gotten my money worth out of it. I'm ready to graduate though. I want to tie some small flies, mainly tricos, and I just can't do it on my current vise.

So I want people opinions. What's good, what's to not good, what are you using. I have about $200 to spend. My initial thought was a Renzetti Traveler, but I'd like to hear everyones opinion.

add 50 $ to it and get a regal pedestal , no adjustments and tie down to a 24 with the standard jaws or get the midge jaws too and if u wanna take it with ya u can , best of both worlds and it is bullet proof , you will never wear it out in your lifetime guaranteed

troutslammer wrote:
add 50 $ to it and get a regal pedestal , no adjustments and tie down to a 24 with the standard jaws or get the midge jaws too and if u wanna take it with ya u can , best of both worlds and it is bullet proof , you will never wear it out in your lifetime guaranteed

I just checked out their site. It looks like good stuff, but I'd be more into the Revolution Series stuff, but that's way outside my price range.

check out the Anvil tying vises. Guranteed for life, handles all size flies and mine came with both a clamp and base for traveling... all for $100.

I second bam's adVISE, wow, cheesy I know. All joking aside, I received an Anvil Apex, and its great. Built to last, its the hummer of the vise world. Maybe not as prestigious as a Regal or Renzetti, but this vise works well, is built tough, and is set at a great price.

I have a Griffin Montana Mongoose. It came with a pedestal and a clamp so you have your choice. I have always used the pedestal but I guess some folks like the clamp. It also came with a hackle gauge, bobbin and a hard case to transport it in. I have tied all my flies on it from #4 streamers to #24 tricos with no problems at all. It is the only vise I have ever owned and I really have no reason to invest in a new one. I bought mine factory direct about five years ago. They are well made,have a lifetime warranty and are made in the USA.(Montana). I think at the time it was about $190 shipped to my door. I'm sure they cost more now but not postive how much they have increased since my purchase. Buy the best you can afford. A good vise will last a long time. Good luck in your search. Tight Lines!

I checked it out and the Anvil Apex looks reallllly nice. I dare say it looks nicer than the Renzetti! I think I might have found my vise and came under budget.

I regret not spending the cash and buying a Regal rotorary (not the revolution) with a set of SS jaws.

Instead, I halfassed it and bought a fully funcitonal and reasonably priced Griffith Odyessy for $80.

From my experience and style, I've never bothered to use the rotory feature for anything other than looking at all sides or binding a material to another side, IE the whole spin-n-wrap technique. Being able to turn the fly is indispensible, but spinning on axis isn't.

I'd kill for the simplicity of just squeezing it and having instant hook adjustment for everything I put into it without having to fidget, and having it be locked in tight.

Obviously, YMMV, but that's my take.

I managed to do it right the first time. I had a $100 vise at Cabelas, happened to go back to the bargain cave and found a complete Regal Revolution with the bronze pocket base for

After tying for years on cheaper vises, I finally broke down and got a regal rotary with midge jaws. It went for around $160 then - 4-5 years ago now. It was money well spent IMO. I'd never go back to a vise that requires fiddlin around adjusting the cam for every hook change

I've got the anvil as well. I give it my seal of approval! I tie from #28 midges to 2/0 deer hair poppers that require lots of pressure. Holds it all. I've had it for about a decade now.

I agree with jdaddy on the Regal pedestal , it's my favorite and i've tried alot of different vises , also they make several different jaws for different applications , the midge jaws are just right for tying the tinys.

I have the regular jaws and have not problem with Tiemco 24 hooks. Never tried anything smaller. Need a lamp and magnifier!

the regal rotary sells for 250 on the orvis site i am pretty sure , comes with the bronze pedestal and it works flawless

I got the Regal rotary clamp at FFP for around $165.

It does fit into the old cheap pedastal that I had from my tying kit. I kinda rigged alittle board to put the pedastal in to better secure it...now no problems.

I rarely use the clamp.

I am a bit tight with my pennies, so spending $85 just for a heavy base seemed unjustified...I think I was right.

The regal is so easy to work with...

Check out troutfitter in Syracuse. I got an HMH Spartan there and really like it. It will come in under your budget.

Regal has a tying desk out there that has a little recessed flush brass screw in thing. I am sure they sell it separately and you could incorporate it into your desk or tying station. Keep the clamp for mobile work.

I had a Apex and sold it. I didn't like the one jaws fits all style. I am happy with my HMH standard. I bought the midge jaws for it. I like to rest my hand on the vise and a rotary does not fit my style.

Can't go wrong with either a Renzetti or a Regal. Great vises, and I've tied on both, but I went with a Renzetti. Just felt right for me when tying. I suggest sitting down with each, and choose which feels right for you.

Im looking at that vise as we speak, Im also in the same boat. I've been tying for around a year(ish) and am pretty proficient. I generally tie bassier stuff but venture into the adams and simpiler dry flies when Im feeling extra cheap. Will it come back to get me or is it a good buy in your opinion?..

Back