Vise for small flies question

10November

I have a regal vise with the midge jaws. Are there any other vises with better, or finer jaws for tying flies size 22 and smaller?

heres a few

magnavise

hmh spartan

hmh trv

marc pettijean

griffin Superior 2A Fine Point

stonfo

renzetti

regal stainless steel jaws

ak best (no longer made)

jvise

LAW vise

dyna king

peak

vosseler

norvise

most manufacturers offer a midge jaw replacement

I've tied flies down to size#30 with a Renzetti Traveler without any special jaw attachment.

Attachments

• Renzetti Traveler.jpg
    Renzetti Traveler.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4
If you're a Regal guy, the stainless jaws are awesome!

FWIW, I can tie #32 flies on my regal with midge jaws no problem

Same

I bought a HMH vise with the midge jaws and the midge jaws work fantastic for sizes down to 28 and I would assume that it will be great on sizes smaller that 28 but I do not have any hooks smaller than 28.

Just about any vise will hold a tiny hook, the problem is clearance behind and around.

I use a Renzetti Master at home and a Traveler on the road and I tie midges on the old TMC 518's down to 32.

When I need more room behind the hook, I adjust the vice head so it is almost vertical. That helps a LOT although the ability to wind materials rotary goes out the window.

However on hooks that small, it's one to three wraps and you're done.

I prefer my HMH for tying midges. You can pivot the sleeve which holds the jaws upward, providing more space for your material hand.

Several years ago I bought a Griffin Superior 2A Fine Point vise for the expressed purpose of tying small flies. It has not disappointed me. I bought it factory direct and have no problem recommending it.

I have an old veniard vise, has a collet for jaws kinda like an exacto knife for flies 20 to 42

I don't tie flies near that small but I would just use these. It's fly tying not brain surgery. No special equipment needed. You can still take the forceps fishing.

Attachments

• forceps.jpg
    forceps.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 20
Back