Vise Comments

Looks a lot like my griffin mongoose.
Screenshot 20230529 153353 Chrome

I just purchased a Peak. Have not used it all that much, but after 40+ years using the Thomson A, it is certainly a welcome change.
I like it.

Does anyone own this fly tying vise? How do you rate it to comparable vises? It appears to be designed and assembled with both outsourced and domestic parts in Utah

https://www.amazon.com/VENTURES-FLY-...pb_opt?ie=UTF8

As already mentioned it's a Renzetti knock-off, right down to the pockets in the pedestal base similar to the Traveler 2300 but with the jaws fully enclosed in the arm like the Renzetti Presentation.

FWIW - The fine adjustment on the Ventures knock-off jaws appears to be a socket head cap head screw. If so, that would mean you need an Allen key or Torx head tool to adjust. Not a total pain in the a$$ but definitively more hassle than the thumb screw you'll find on a Renzetti.

The similarities between the knock-off and the real deal MAY mean Renzetti accessories will fit... but maybe not...

FWIW - I recently ordered a part for my 15+ year old Traveler so I could have the adjustment screw on the other side. At least for me it's nice to know I can pick up the phone or email Renzetti and get assistance and parts from USA manufacturer FORMALLY FROM CHESTER COUNTY, PA that has been in business for almost 50 years.

It's your choice & dough but if it was me and that was THE style of vise I was after, I'd take the sage advice already given and pony up the extra $$$ and just buy a Renzetti Traveler.

If you still want the knock-off... you might want to hurry up and get one because I sent Renzetti the Amazon link... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CRB
This knock off is 179.95. Get the Traveler or a Peak for a little more. I tie on a Renzetti but used a Peak for 12 years and it was excellent.

A buddy has tied thousands of flies on a Traveler. He needed a O ring. Renzetti sent him the part for no cost. He is good for years.

Spend the extra clams and get the Renzetti or Peak you won't be sorry. I have owned both and settled on Regal 20 years ago. I tie a few thousand flies a year

Last edited:
I own a Montana Mongoose vise. I am by no means an experienced fly tyer but the vise has treated well for last 6 months. I am sure the other vises that have been mentioned are nicer, but this one does what I need. The rotation is smooth enough and it holds hooks very well. I have had #8 hooks down to #22 scud hooks and have had no problems.

I bought my Peak 3 years ago. I should have done it 20 years ago. No more crap fly tying equipment anymore.

Peak is a very good vice. I bought mine when they first came out from Al Ritt. It was less money back then but still a good buy today.

Does anyone own this fly tying vise? How do you rate it to comparable vises? It appears to be designed and assembled with both outsourced and domestic parts in Utah

https://www.amazon.com/VENTURES-FLY-...pb_opt?ie=UTF8
Can't say anything about that but, it's a Renzetti knockoff for sure.

FWIW: I've been tying on a Regal Stainless Jaw model for about 20 years now. Never once let me down, holds 8/0 hooks for big salty stuff like a... well like a vise grip and anything down to a 32 no issues at all.

Can't say anything about that but, it's a Renzetti knockoff for sure.

FWIW: I've been tying on a Regal Stainless Jaw model for about 20 years now. Never once let me down, holds 8/0 hooks for big salty stuff like a... well like a vise grip and anything down to a 32 no issues at all.
Dear Facemelted,

I have a Regal Vise my brother bought me as a Christmas present more years ago than I can remember. It holds every hook I ever messed with perfectly.

But about 10 years ago I decided I wanted a rotary vise. Since I already had a vise that could do whatever I needed it to do I wasn't about to spend a car payment on one.

I spent about $ 100.00 on a Danica Dan-Vise with the Clouser arm. That's about what you would pay for the Clouser arm on some vises. It's simple, and plastic, and cheap. But it does just as well at its job as my Regal did.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Been using this vice for over 40 years. It ain't rotary and it doesn't do any tricks, but it'll hold pretty much any size hook and the clamp base model travels nicely. I customized it a little changing the vice head set screw to one that is loosenable without a wrench. It's pretty much bulletproof.

Xuron

Last edited:
Been using this vice for over 40 years. It ain't rotary and it doesn't do any tricks, but it'll hold pretty much any size hook and the clamp base model travels nicely. I customized it a little changing the vice head set screw to one that is loosenable without a wrench. It's pretty much bulletproof.

I have one of those as well. (y)

It has gone by several different names over the decades. The Thomas, Darbee or Catskill, Angler's Roost or Deren, Phelps-Xuron and just Xuron were some of the names as it was revised and rebranded by some famous folks in fly fishing circles.

BTW - It was the favored vise of Harry & Elsie Darbee and Vince Marinaro among others.

Mine is a later (1980's) Xuron and yours appears to be as well although the C-clamp version rather than a pedestal like mine. It was the 2nd fly tying vice I ever owned and it had the most comfortable hand position of any vice I ever used but I went to a Renzetti so I finally retired it around 2002 - 2003.

I have one of those as well. (y)

It has gone by several different names over the decades. The Thomas, Darbee or Catskill, Angler's Roost or Deren, Phelps-Xuron and just Xuron were some of the names as it was revised and rebranded by some famous folks in fly fishing circles.

BTW - It was the favored vise of Harry & Elsie Darbee and Vince Marinaro among others.

Mine is a later (1980's) Xuron and yours appears to be as well although the C-clamp version rather than a pedestal like mine. It was the 2nd fly tying vice I ever owned and it had the most comfortable hand position of any vice I ever used but I went to a Renzetti so I finally retired it around 2002 - 2003.
I have a pedestal model too. I've always known them as Xuron's.

Back