Vise Advise

F

flynoob

Hey guys, just starting to get into tying and have a hand me down cabelas kit. I am looking to upgrade to a better vise. I did a clinic where I could tie on a renzetti travel vise and fell in love, but just a bit pricey. I think I'd prefer a pedestal vice to a C-clamp and also one that has a bobbin cradle. Looking for all the advice you guys are willing to give.
Thanks

Tons of threads on this topic and equally as many opinions.

Best thing to do is go try a bunch before you buy.

I tried a few including Renzetti and wound up with a Peak Rotary pedestal version. It was less than $150 through J Stockard.

Just try a few of the better quality vises and buy what you like.

I wouldn't tie on anything I didn't try. In my case the Regal filled the bill. I'd go to a fly shop and try out as many as you can. Good luck.

I have traveler and I agree it does cost alot but it's a heck of vise. Save some money up over time and get it one, it's not like you gonna need a new one in 3 years you'll have that thing forever and it will pay itself off!

You really can't go wrong with a Regal, Renzetti, or Peak imho.

I personally have the Peak rotary pedestal base and love it, although, I would recommenr getting the midge jaws and the replacement brass set screws if you go this route.

Good luck.

regal pedestal -1 time in a lifetime !

As far as the Renzettis go, whats the primary difference between the Traveler 2200 and the Presentation 2000 other than $100. The websited doesn't give a great description to compare the two

Presentation 2000 has:

- ratcheting crank
- pivoting head mount to shaft
- pivot on the arm
- stainless shaft

The middle two features allow more flexibility in the jaw position for a wider range of hook sizes.

The ratchet on the crank might be handy for drying epoxy evenly. Dyna King has a Barracuda Indexer that does kinda the same thing. Works somewhat like the ratchet on a socket wrench, but only in one direction on the Renzetti.

The stainless shaft would be nice if you use the c-clamp version. Lets you crank down on the shaft locking screw tighter without boogering up the vise shaft....

I own a Traveller, and I can honestly say I wouldn't want or need any of those additional features. YMMV

Thanks for the advise guys. Now just need to start saving

Dyna king you could beat someone to death and tie a fly at the same time.Its heavy but its a life time vise almost indestructable .Very broad range of tying.

Anvil, they have 2 models I sell. The Atlas and Apex. The apex sells for around107.95 and the Atlas for 149.95. Both come with "C" clamp and Pedastal. liftime warrenties on both. made here in America by Anvil.

Back