Vintage g. Loomis imx

P

pearcefoulk

Hello everyone, I had a vintage 8 and a half foot 5 weight g. Loomis imx. The rods tip was broken in an unfortunate accident and it felt like I lost a friend of mine. So, does anyone know if I can get a replacement tip for it anywhere or of I'm better off trying to repair the broken tip I have which would not be easy. Or if I should keep my eye out for an entire new rod. Any help is appreciated, thanks yall!

Check with company
^ This is the answer.

I broke the tip section of my St. Croix Imperial last week. I was beside myself! Called St. Croix directly, after getting conflicting info online. The customer service guy said I could still get a replacement tip section for that rod. It's 5 years old, but still under warranty (15 year). Total cost is $25 for shipping, thought that was a bit high, but a SMALL price to pay to get my baby back on the water.

Hello everyone, I had a vintage 8 and a half foot 5 weight g. Loomis imx. The rods tip was broken in an unfortunate accident and it felt like I lost a friend of mine. So, does anyone know if I can get a replacement tip for it anywhere or of I'm better off trying to repair the broken tip I have which would not be easy. Or if I should keep my eye out for an entire new rod. Any help is appreciated, thanks yall!
The overall best solution is to replace the tip section with a tip section from the original manufacturer. All or most of the popular rod makers keep replacement stock on hand to cover their warranty repair work. How long this stock of tips will last varies. Call them first. Hopefully, they will have something. Even if the stock has been depleted, they may have alternatives that may be suitable to you.

Most rod breaks can be repaired. However, the repaired rod will not be the same as it was before the break occurred. Breaks in the tip section are the most difficult to repair in any way that might be satisfactory in rod action and of lasting durability. Ferule sections can be difficult to repair as well.

It certainly can’t hurt to talk with a rod builder or someone who does rod repair work. There are some good ones right here on the forum. You can expect the repair cost to be $50 and up.

The next best thing might be a used rod of the same make from one of the forum classifieds or ebay as a last resort. Good luck.

^ This is the answer.

I broke the tip section of my St. Croix Imperial last week. I was beside myself! Called St. Croix directly, after getting conflicting info online. The customer service guy said I could still get a replacement tip section for that rod. It's 5 years old, but still under warranty (15 year). Total cost is $25 for shipping, thought that was a bit high, but a SMALL price to pay to get my baby back on the water.
When I talked to the guy from. G .Loomis he said that they didn't have a replacement since the rod is discontinued and that I should check with a local tackle shop but that just didn't seem like a good fix for the situation. Thanks!

The overall best solution is to replace the tip section with a tip section from the original manufacturer. All or most of the popular rod makers keep replacement stock on hand to cover their warranty repair work. How long this stock of tips will last varies. Call them first. Hopefully, they will have something. Even if the stock has been depleted, they may have alternatives that may be suitable to you.

Most rod breaks can be repaired. However, the repaired rod will not be the same as it was before the break occurred. Breaks in the tip section are the most difficult to repair in any way that might be satisfactory in rod action and of lasting durability. Ferule sections can be difficult to repair as well.

It certainly can’t hurt to talk with a rod builder or someone who does rod repair work. There are some good ones right here on the forum. You can expect the repair cost to be $50 and up.

The next best thing might be a used rod of the same make from one of the forum classifieds or ebay as a last resort. Good luck.
Thank you I will try to give them a call, I only emailed them before!

If you are the original owner, you should be able to get a replacement ("equivalent") rod from Loomis. (The IMX had a lifetime warranty.) I also had an IMX rod that broke (my fault) and recently submitted an expeditor order on their website for a new rod. You have to set up an account and provide details of where and when you bought the rod. (I bought mine in 1989 - no I didn't have the receipt, and I didn't remember the exact date, but I estimated. That seemed to be good enough for them.)
They shipped me an IMX-PRO V2 as the new equivalent. Nice rod. It was $150 for the replacement. MSRP is $595.
With that said, I have repaired several rods over the years with decent results. It's not rocket science but it is a little tricky. And I have only tried to repair fairly clean breaks - not the kind of thing where a 8-inch section was smashed under a car tire or anything. There is a good tutorial (a set of several web pages) on the old fly anglers online forum. If you are interested and can't find it, let me know and I'll try to dig it up.

Is this the full flex model?

Back