Video support for fly fishing/tying

boss_steb

boss_steb

Hello All:

So I have been fooling around with getting into videotaping my fly fishing misadventures. Just a few questions:

If you are videoing your fishing adventures, are you using a Go Pro which generation of go pro are you using?

Do you prefer a fixed tripod, head cam, chest cam and why?

Which angle do you prefer to watch?

Are you using an editing software to clean up and condense the action?
If so, which one?

Where are you posting it? Youtube?

Fly tying:

What camera and set up are you using to video tape your fly tying?
Are you using editing software or system to clean it up, add information, etc.

I appreciate all the work Tim puts into his videos on line with Trout and Feather.

If you need to kill some time, do a youtube search on Stebdog...
The misadventures and my bad skills are in full view but sometimes funny. My wife puts me to shame on the Frying Pan. She was a first time fly fisher and she sticks a big rainbow in her first 20 min. She quit fishing after that.

If this is well covered on the forum somewhere else I apologize in advance.

Boss

I’ve been wearing a GoPro headcam off and on for a year with very limited success—wrong angle, hat brim in way, turning it on only to have the fish cool down... it’s made me appreciate those action and fish filled vids.

It's been quite a while since I've messed around with videos, but I typically used the head mount. chest mount just turns into a video of my arms. Only issue with head mount is it was not very stable if I was doing any sort of walking (or chasing a fish downstream). I used the Hero 3, I don't even know what the latest models are and if you can even still get a 3.

I found youtube to be the simplest way to upload and share. If you don't want the whole world to see your roughly-edited fishing videos, as was usually the case with me, you can set the privacy settings so only people with the link can view. Then just send the link to your fishing buddies.

I usually do bring my GoPro with me on fishing adventures to capture anything that I may find interesting or exciting. I have a GoPro Hero4 Silver. I use the Peak Design Capture Clip as my mount, and I love it. It is a mount that is made to attach to a strap of some sort (backpack strap, belt, etc.) and I usually wear it on my wading belt. It allows me to have a camera angle that is closer to the water and has less shaking than a head mount as well. I like that it is easy access when fishing too. The only downside is occasionally fly line will get wrapped up in it. I do edit the videos, but mostly to just get rid of all the boring parts that may have been filmed. I use the generic GoPro Studio, which one can download for free from their site. As far as uploading, I just upload my videos to YouTube. The only thing that I make sure I do is to save the edited video as 1080p on my computer before uploading, so that others may watch in HD as well. I really just put the videos up for family to see, and they are edited more so for my watching pleasure than anything else. I'm sure they could use some music or titles or something, but for my purposes of watching they work just fine. In addition to filming, I like being able to take photos with the GoPro. It does take good photos, and I like that it is waterproof, as opposed to risking the not waterproof cell phone when standing in the middle of the river. I put a link to one of my videos below for you in case you want to see how they come out. Hopefully this helps answer some of your questions!

Sample video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4O-ASwDPZ0

Tried the GoPro thing - Shoulder worked best for me but absolutely hated the hassle. It's like taking a nagging woman fishing.

If someone was fishing and wanted some serious footage, I'd purchase a good tripod and set it up at an angle to see you and the river. Just my opinion.

I've used a hat clip mount before but it's a bit shaky. I like to use a gorilla pod to mount to nearby objects and have stable footage though.

I prefer to watch videos with various views of the action, ie... over the shoulder on a tripod, body mount, and a front view again on a tripod. Then cut away through the views for the most interesting angles of the fight.
My favorite videos of this are for kayak fishing where this setup is much easier than stream side recording.

GoPro can record using a looping feature (in most models) which can conserve memory card space and make easier editing down the road. Looping allows you to set a time interval to record (5min 10min 20 min etc), after your action happens you stop recording and the camera will only save the last X-minutes of your looping length to the card. When you record longer than your interval length, the camera will loop back and start saving over the old chapters. But never recording over your previous clips.
This can be useful for card space and video management... battery on the other hand will still be an issue.
More info on looping here...
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/How-Does-Looping-Work

I use a Hero 5 mounted on a chest strap with a power bank hooked up and set the gopro to looping mode 10 minutes. I use a extra connector on the chest strap so that my gopro is higher on my chest to get a better view of the water .

Looping Mode

+1 slay, Gorilla pods are great! A nicer tripod would never work for me due to how fast I fish and how much water I cover. Picking up and moving a tripod every 10 minutes...no thanks. Gorilla pod can just collapse into your pocket.

I stopped filming for two reasons - 1. I broke my GoPro (100% my fault in this case). 2. I was accumulating a ton of footage and could never find time to sort through it all. I have 3 year old video clips that I haven't gone through yet.

Also, I realized videos sometimes give away too much info on the location I'm fishing by showing too much of the surroundings.

I found this type of tripod is a little more durable than the gorilla one that I originally used for a couple years (the GoPro I had with the extra LCD screen mount got too heavy for the tripod I think, and the camera would always slip and point downward, which is why I bought this new one): https://www.amazon.com/AVAWO-Universal-Flexible-Wrapable-Smartphone/dp/B013E0FIPY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1517585614&sr=8-7&keywords=gopro+tripod

I use a chest pack, so I tuck a strap underneath the tripod legs, and carry it around on the front me, it stays out of the way most of the time when I'm moving about.

I usually put the tripod down right in the middle of a stretch I am fishing, either on a large rock sticking out the water, wrapped around a thick tree branch, or just up on the shore. I only record when I catch a fish - basically, I aim the tripod and GoPro up a little and make sure I can take a decent shot beforehand and have a good idea of where I need to crouch or stand when I take the pic. When I hook a fish I start moving towards where the camera is, and when I net the fish by shore I quickly hit record and start filming, and then take the wet fish out of the net, hold it up to the camera, and then quickly release. I just screenshot the videos I take...quality is sometimes is an issue though, and I use an app on my phone to do quick edits with lighting and coloring, or get rid of fuzziness - see my avatar/profile picture for this forum. Basically did that the exact same way.

I essentially bought a waterproof Go-Pro type case for my Iphone and am going to try to do the same thing, as picture quality is likely significantly better. If you aren't filming within 5 feet with a GoPro, you tend to lose picture quality, especially if you zoom in on a photo, in my opinion, but I am also using an older GoPro model too.

Thanks for the advice. I have typically gone with the head mount but then it is all over the place...a bit like my casting and fishing.

I would like to learn how to edit out all of the garbage, add lettering, do some fly tying vids etc.

Thanks again.

Boss

For Fly Tying Video
Using a DVC camera on a tripod.
Al Beatty uses his DSLR Camera that has a video mode on it.

Both Al and I video record from the Tyers perspective. You see what the fly tyer is seeing.

Others tyers video record from the audience perspective. Think what is best for your audience.

Pinnacle software for editing

Back