Vice Recommendations Please

• Thread starter PABigFishHunter
  • Start date
PABigFishHunter

PABigFishHunter

Hi friends -

I’m looking for vice recommendations. I used to tie a lot but then moved around some and got away from it for a few years. I’m back at it pretty heavily and my vice just isn’t cutting it. I’d like recommendations for both higher end and good value vices. I’ve just been away from it for too long and haven’t kept up with what the current favorites are.

I appreciate the help.

Renzetti Traveler with the pedestal base.

I got one when they first came out and upgraded to the cam jaws years later. They seem to have a longer stem. I made my own longer stem to allow room to dangle a bobbin and twist cdc with the petitjean tools. It’s a real good vise.

Griffon Odyssey Spider is a great vice for around $100. I'm very satisfied with it.

jifigz wrote:
Griffon Odyssey Spider is a great vice for around $100. I'm very satisfied with it.

Yep, the cam-jaw version is only a few bucks more too.

There's all sorts of slick, modestly priced vises out there now, but really the most important thing is quality steel jaws. The Griffins definitely have good jaws and I would take that over more elegant designs with lesser quality materials any day.

I have a peak rotary vice that I've tied hundreds of flies on. I really like it. Made in the US as well. The only other vice I have ever tied on was the one that came in a Cabela's kit haha. Let's just say the Peak was a major improvement.

I've been using a Regal since '92. It still works great.

I'll second the regal!

Mine has the midge jaws. I can tie #32's on it ( even though I rarely tie anything that small anymore) - up to #8's, with no problems.

And no fiddling around making adjustments for different size hooks.
Just put them in - and tie it up
Nice and simple!

Either a real Regal 360 degree or a knock-off Regal. I have two vises. A clamp-on Regal and a clamp-on HMH with two sets of jaws. I've had both for about 25 years. Once you properly insert a hook into the Regal, #20 - #1/0 it will not move. And no matter what size the hook is you never have to adjust the vise to hold the hook. With the HMH I have to adjust the cam every time I go to a different hook size.

+1 for the Traveller in black because fashion

wbranch, Good point about the Regal: clamp and tie!

I have the clamp with standard and midge jaws. All fresh and saltwater hook sizes covered to about 4/0. The standard jaws have a chip from user error that I've tied around for 25+ years. Other than that, it's been a very easy vice to work with.

I like my regal. I would get the rotary if you can afford it. Haven’t found a hook to big to tie on and tie everything down to a size 24. I have the standard jaws.

I have been very pleased with my Dyna King Trekker. True rotary and little if any adjustment for different hook sizes. Also use an HMH. very heavy duty both with standard and midge heads.

All good recommendations but as with all things fly fishing, there is never a consensus with so many options out there.

First off, do you want a rotary vice or not, that can narrow things down a bit.

2nd, if there is ANY way you can be patient, I would stick it out with your old vise and wait until the restrictions are lifted and head to a store.

There is no substitute for actually seeing your choices and how your hand will be positioned when using them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm looking over all three options and making a decision. I appreciate it!

Another recommendation for a Griffin. I have the Mongoose and love it.

You should go to the Griffin website https://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/. It has been my experience that there is a lot of counterfeit items on Amazon, made in China. IMO “Made in China” = Junk

I have both a griffin odyssey spider and a renzetti traveler (gift from my dad). Both have been great vices. Based on performance (around 7-8 years of use) vs. cost, I prefer the spider over the traveler. The traveler does seem to have higher quality components, though.

FYI I have only used the double thumb screw versions of the spider and traveler and these work so well I have never been tempted to go to a cam version of either.

The one Griffin cam vise I tied on was a Patriot belonging to a friend. I found it quite clunky. I have to presume they resolved that given the recommendations from other users noted above.

I've never been that picky about vises.. I started on a Herter's Model 11. After that, anything was a step up.

I wen through a couple of Thompson A's and what in the 70's was the Orvis high end version of the A, I'm guessing. It was called the Simplicity, IIRC. This was a pretty good vise and lasted me about until Y2K, when Petunia (in consultation with one of my friends) gave me a Griffin Blackfoot for Christmas one year. No cam, uses the 2 screw method. A little fussy to keep the jaw pieces properly parallel, but I like it otherwise. I'd recommend any of Griffin's line to anybody, but maybe not the Blackfoot, which I don't think they make any more anyway.

So, I tie everything from #24 (as small as I've ever bothered with) up to #6 on the Griffin. Anything bigger than that, I have a Regal copycat called a Crown that I use.

Back