Vest - Umpqua Steamboat versus Filson Strap Vest

T

tctrout

It seems like every season I continue the search for the perfect vest.

I purchased the new Exterus Sling Pack from Allen Fly Fishing...and like it. BUT...want to try two more.

I had the Umpqua Steamboat on @ the Somerset show and loved the feel of it, but it was without my gear. Has anyone used it yet on the water?

For the Filson Strap Vest, my buddy has one and recommends the waxed cotton version. I love Filson products and have their chest pack, but didn't like the balance and way it rested. Thoughts on the Strap Vest?

Thanks ahead of time, though I believe this is a never-ending search for the perfect vest.

TC

Saw a Fillson waterproof on Craigslist for $175.00-good deal.

I have one and like it a lot.

I have a filson foul weather. I think it's the waxed fabric version of the strap. I've had it a few years and I haven't had a reason to look for anything else. I like it because I can adjust it way up so if I can wade deep and not get it wet. This may or may not be an issue for you but I bought it with the DE River system in mind.

This isn't a goretex material, its cloth (cotton I think) then treated with wax. It's not waterproof, It is pretty weather resistant. I need to re-wax mine. It has a two compartment backback that can fit a lot of beer, rain jacket, etc. It is a pain though because you need to take it off to reach into the backpack. I think it has a D ring for a net on the back, but I never carry a net so I'm not positive on that one.

It's made really well I don't know what kind of warranty it has but I'd think it will last a lifetime. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better made vest.

Back