Versatile soft hackle pattern?

Jlafko3

Jlafko3

I'm having a writers block of sorts... I am trying to come up with a good versatile soft hackle pattern to tie up and can't get one that looks right for the life of me. If anyone has any ideas they'd like to bring up, or patterns they have used that garner success feel free to share

Good old pheasant tail, olive ice dub thorax, and brown hen hackle does the trick for me for anything mayfly related.

Peacock and partridge for caddis

sh.jpg
[/url]
free image hosting service
[/img]

maxresdefault.jpg

Jlafko3 wrote:
I am trying to come up with a good versatile soft hackle pattern to tie up and can't get one that looks right for the life of me. If anyone has any ideas they'd like to bring up, or patterns they have used that garner success feel free to share

Have you tried partridge for hackle?

Many traditional looking wet fly soft hackles use partridge and other hackles don't quite look the same.

Thanks for the ideas guys, and yeah I use partridge for the ones I have tied up, what do you guys think about CDC for soft hackles?

Breadcrust. I am convinced I can always catch fish on this fly. I always do.

GenCon

Attachments

• BC1.jpg
    BC1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
Love that fly Gencon. One of my favorite materials to tie with as well. IS the soft hackle grouse as well?

Jlafko3 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas guys, and yeah I use partridge for the ones I have tied up, what do you guys think about CDC for soft hackles?

Unfortunately I haven't field tested them yet but I tied up some soft hackles with a cdc collar. I used my Petijean magic tool and inserted the cdc fibers into a split thread and wrapped a collar. they look great and I'm confident they will produce.

Gencon, what is that body?

laszlo wrote:

Well,it's a breadcrumb fly,so probably a split grouse feather body.

I think a peacock herl body and almost any color hackle is one of the most versatile SH's.
Brown ,black,dun,grizzly,or furnace hen,partridge,starling,quail etc

Stewart's spiders are versatile too.

I like PTSH's tyed with a tail for mayflies,rip the tail off for caddis .

GRHE SH is good.

mike_richardson wrote:
Love that fly Gencon. One of my favorite materials to tie with as well. IS the soft hackle grouse as well?

Thanks Mike, the hackle is grizzly hen.

GenCon

laszlo wrote:

Laslo, the body is a grouse tail feather that has been trimed. Soaked then split. Its a bit of a pain to do. But I have done many and can do them fairly quickly.

GenCon

I have said this before, but now that I have some time to get back onto the forums, I'll say it again. The hares ear soft hackle has caught me more fish than any other, hands down. You can out a bead on it, tie them bigger or smaller, tie them in olive, etc. I also have a lot of success with partridge and green, partridge and yellow, partridge and orange.

If you search for some of my older posts, you should find some pics I have posted in the past.

this is the one i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0X19WL_zlE

Back