Veevus thread....I don't get it.

dudemanspecial

I keep seeing this stuff recommend everywhere, especially for smaller stuff like their 16/0 size for 18-22 size flies, so I ordered some 12/0 and 16/0 in white, brown and black.

I just don't get why its so popular. It doesn't flatten out whatsoever at all. Binding loose stuff like pheasant tail and cdc is an exercise in futility, and in my experience it breaks with very little effort. I am a Danville or Ultrathread guy and to me this stuff just isn't usable.

Do any of you folks tie with it? Am I missing something here?

I keep seeing this stuff recommend everywhere, especially for smaller stuff like their 16/0 size for 18-22 size flies, so I ordered some 12/0 and 16/0 in white, brown and black.

I just don't get why its so popular. It doesn't flatten out whatsoever at all. Binding loose stuff like pheasant tail and cdc is an exercise in futility, and in my experience it breaks with very little effort. I am a Danville or Ultrathread guy and to me this stuff just isn't usable.

Do any of you folks tie with it? Am I missing something here?

I just noticed that my spool of black 16/0 Veevus is getting close to the end so I ordered another spool of it yesterday afternoon. I always thought it was exceptionally strong for being so thin and I can’t remember it breaking while tying a fly. I must be doing something wrong. ? 🤔

I just noticed that my spool of black 16/0 Veevus is getting close to the end so I ordered another spool of it yesterday afternoon. I always thought it was exceptionally strong for being so thin and I can’t remember it breaking while tying a fly. I must be doing something wrong. ? 🤔
I'm sure I am the one doing something wrong as popular as it seems to be.

I guess my question should be worded -what makes you pick up the veevus over other thread brands? What does it provide you that other threads don't?

I'm sure I am the one doing something wrong as popular as it seems to be.

I guess my question should be worded -what makes you pick up the veevus over other thread brands? What does it provide you that other threads don't?
I use a lot of 14/0 Veevus. I just like the way it grips material for its relatively small diameter. I also like the 8/0 Veevus for larger foam flies. I am also a fan of their colors.

All of this said, I don't use it for everything. I used to use a lot of UTC 70 but have found it frays rather easily. They do have nice colors as well.

UTC 70-denier had/has QC and sourcing issues recently. Sure, it flattens out like a dream but often frays and splits during whip finishing and other critical tasks, and it often seems like some spools of it are fine while others are absolute turds.

I also can't find the standard useful colors like olive, watery olive, yellow olive, etc anywhere. The biggest advantage of Veevus IMO is the tensile strength to diameter ratio- easily 1.5-2x as strong as the comparable Danville or UTC. You also can twist/untwist the bobbin to get Veevus to flatten out much like UTC. And for really small stuff I want precise wrap control without flattening anyway.

UTC 70-denier had/has QC and sourcing issues recently. Sure, it flattens out like a dream but often frays and splits during whip finishing and other critical tasks, and it often seems like some spools of it are fine while others are absolute turds.

I also can't find the standard useful colors like olive, watery olive, yellow olive, etc anywhere. The biggest advantage of Veevus IMO is the tensile strength to diameter ratio- easily 1.5-2x as strong as the comparable Danville or UTC. You also can twist/untwist the bobbin to get Veevus to flatten out much like UTC. And for really small stuff I want precise wrap control without flattening anyway.
See in my experience, or maybe preference is a better word, getting precise wrap control = flat thread wraps. And I have tried unspooling it by twisting, it doesn't do it for me like Danville or UTC. For the record I am not a fan of Unithread either for many of the same reasons.

i use veevus 14/0 and it flattens out when spinning counterclockwise

i use it for salmon and steelhead flies, nymphs, streamers, dries and soft hackles

i break it now and then but its when i nick it on a hook point. my fault

Last edited:
i use veevus 14/0 and it flattens out when spinning counterclockwise

i use it for salmon and steelhead flies, nymphs, streamers, dries and soft hackles

i break it now and then but its when i nick it on a hook point. my fault
I will admit that I have only tried the 16/0 and not the stronger stuff I have yet. Is it your go to thread?

yes it is

i also use gordon griffiths sheer 14/0

i do use danville 6/0 on ocassion but not very often. only as a back up

I use Veevus 16/0 and 14/0. The 14/0 feels thinner to me than the 16/0 or maybe it lays down better .... not sure. The light yellow or primrose is a great match for summer sulphurs. The colors are decent as well.
I cant get myself to pay for Semperfli thread.

Last edited:
Every spool of Veevus I've bought starts to peel off weird once I use about a 1/4 of it. Like it backlashed or something during spooling and the lead thread starts coming out underneath wraps of thread that should in theory be underneath it. Causes unpredictable swings in tension that leads to the thread breaking.

Switched to Semperfli and have been very happy. IMO it's definitely stronger than Veevus when comparing the same "aught" sizes between brands. YMMV.

Big fan of Veevus 14/0 myself. Just bought the 10/0 for my white deaths, and very happy with the strength of it comparatively. The only time I've broken the thread is same as noted above with my fault nicking the hook point.

New here, been fly fishing/tying for 10 years now, in NW, West, and Central PA. Been a silent reader for about a year now, figured i'd finally say something.

Big fan of Veevus 14/0 myself. Just bought the 10/0 for my white deaths, and very happy with the strength of it comparatively. The only time I've broken the thread is same as noted above with my fault nicking the hook point.

New here, been fly fishing/tying for 10 years now, in NW, West, and Central PA. Been a silent reader for about a year now, figured i'd finally say something.

welcome to the forum

post up some of your flies you've tied

👍👍

norm

Been a while since I took pictures of my flies. Mostly just pics of fish with flies in their mouths. This is from this spring when I was working on some caddis'.

Attachments

• 20240223_084943.jpg
    20240223_084943.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 47
Been a while since I took pictures of my flies. Mostly just pics of fish with flies in their mouths. This is from this spring when I was working on some caddis'.

👍👍🍺🍺

Back