Varivas Flourocarbon Super tippet

skiltonian

skiltonian

anyone tried the Varivas Flourocarbon Super tippet?
comes all the way down to 10x...
or their Super Midge tippet that comes down to 12x

10x=1.37 lb
11x=1.17lb
12x=1.0lb

I can't see a use for that.

Sounds like you were talkin to Rod at the LLFS he pushes that even on fly fishing newbies which is plain stupid if you ask me.

I second Jay's comment.

I have the Midge in 8x for the small size 26 and 28 flies. I also have the Super tippet in 6x and 7x. I like them. They seem to be a little stronger than some of the other brands. I don't see any reasons to use the other stuff.

jayL wrote:
I can't see a use for that.

You want a delicate presentation for small stream chubs.

ryguyfi wrote:

You want a delicate presentation for small stream chubs.

Your small stream chubs are like two feet long though. :-o

I actually own 9-12X varivas tippet (got it for free). Works nicely for fly tying! Anyone that says you actually need 12X to catch fish doesn't have a clue...

I have a spool of the Flouro Super Tippet in 5X. Haven't had any trouble with it. On the other hand, stay away from Cortland Precision Flouro. I've had awful luck with it, knots break too easily.

I just got some Orvis Maxknot Flouro in 4, 3, and 2X to replace my Cortland for steelheading. Good reviews and it comes in a 40 meter spool. Anyone else using this?

i prefer maxima ultra green

I draw the line at 7X! :lol:

I've used the 9 and 10X. Decent knot strength, have had no problems. I'm a glutton for punishment, I sometimes fish size 28-32 midges and nymphs.

If you fish tiny flies (24-32) and streams like the Little Lehigh, then it will work for you. Most other fishing you won't need it. I used it on cedar (allentown) for a time.

albatross wrote:
I have a spool of the Flouro Super Tippet in 5X. Haven't had any trouble with it. On the other hand, stay away from Cortland Precision Flouro. I've had awful luck with it, knots break too easily.

I just got some Orvis Maxknot Flouro in 4, 3, and 2X to replace my Cortland for steelheading. Good reviews and it comes in a 40 meter spool. Anyone else using this?

Hey Albie,

I usually use the regular Orvis Mirage flouro. I don't think I've encountered any problems with it. I see that the maxknot mirage flouro costs about 50% more than the regular mirage ($15 vs $10). Do you have any experience with the regular mirage and if so do you think the maxknot is worth spending the extra dough? I don't mind paying the extra bucks if it's worth it, after all I've spend upwards of $500 for an outfit, so I'm not about to cheap out on tippet, but I also don't like feeling like a sucker for overspending on some gimmick line (looking your way biotippet). I look forward to your feedback.

Jason

JasonS wrote
I see that the maxknot mirage flouro costs about 50% more than the regular mirage ($15 vs $10). Do you have any experience with the regular mirage and if so do you think the maxknot is worth spending the extra dough? I don't mind paying the extra bucks if it's worth it

Well Jason, I don't know if its just marketing hype, but...
"Orvis's new MaxKNot ties and holds stronger knots than any other fluorocarbon tippet, up to 49% stronger than regular Mirage." Source

Every rig I use has a knot in it, so only the knotted strength is important. If its really 50% stronger, its easily worth 50% more money.

I have not fished with it yet, but I'll write a review if I'm really impressed (or disappointed) with it.

With the wind knots I "tie" I'd be a fool NOT to buy MaxKnot! :lol:

Back