valley tomorrow anyone?

SNJChef

SNJChef

Heading to the valley tomorrow morning. Early am. Anyone heading out? Send me an email brob546@gmail.com. Before the rain hits.

what time and where?

It should be excellent today! With the warmth, the overcast skies, rain rolling in, I'm jealous that I can't make it!

I thought about packing the gear and stopping after work, but I'm not sure the timing on the rain is gonna be right...I think the forecast is for the more significant rain to move into the SE PA area in the late afternoon/early evening...might be too late to bring the flows up if you're planning on fishing today. Valley's running at 21 cfs right now (pretty low), and I usually struggle there unless the flow is more in the 35-50 cfs range.

Valley rises and falls VERY quickly, so if we get some good rain tonight tomorrow afternoon might be decent flow wise...but it will be 20 degrees colder too.

Tomorrow (Thursday) should be a good day fishing there. A lot of warm rain overnight, perhaps as much as an inch, ending in the wee morning hours. Should be pretty good sometime tomorrow, perhaps by mid morning as runoff will be even faster than usual with the frozen ground.

I can't go, but this is exactly the situation you look for on that stream.

I will be there tomorrow to give it a shot.

SNJChef wrote:
I will be there tomorrow to give it a shot.

Use small bead headed Olive Woolly Buggers if the water is off color. They will attack them. Wish I could get out but there is no way.

I think even Valley will be blown out today. Falling fast (as usual) from a peak of about 800 cfs, but it's got a ways to fall. I didn't pack the gear today either after I saw how high it went this morning.

I agree with Swattie. Between 50 and 35 off color are my best days on streamers at VC. I think today would be futile.

Hard to believe, but just goes to show how fast this stream drops...77 cfs as of 2:30 pm...probably borderline fishable. By tomorrow afternoon it will look like it didn't even rain.

...69 cfs as of 3:30.

100 cfs is fishable, and 69 is perfect. Today was the day. Too bad I missed it.

Pat, you are probably right because up where I like to fish it is several miles above the gauging station and a few streams feed in lower than that. 70 down there is probably primo up where I go. Too bad indeed!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious. Have any of you ever fished Valley at 70 or 100 CFS?
It's a raging torrent.

65ish and falling is the highest I've fished it...definitely "fishable" at that flow...I'm talking about the Nat'l Park section. There's still spots that would be dicey to try to wade through, but there would be plenty of spots that would be safe to cross the stream. It's a streamer deal at that flow IMO, but the fish can be caught. As I mentioned above, 35-50 cfs is ideal for Valley IMO. Problem is it's usually only in that range for a couple of hours max at a time as it rises and falls...gotta time it right.

Gonna have to check the weather for Friday or Saturday see how it looks.

Back