Valley Creek

T

TYoung

I fished Valley Creek in the park yesterday. When I got there I noticed that there was a crew cutting and stacking large plastic sewer pipe. They had the the gravel road closed off just past the paved lot. They had the pipe stacked up across the gravel road from the paved lot. I noticed that there was new surveyor flags placed were the sewer line runs along the creek. I wonder if they are going to replace the old line that that has burst a couple of times. If they are replacing the line, then anyone who likes to fish the stream should probably fish outside of the park for a while.

^ Thanks for the heads up, TY.

I checked it out and came up with this:

Tredyffrin Township has rescinded a cost-sharing plan with four other towns to fix a pipe that has spilled millions of gallons of untreated waste into a federally protected creek that runs through Valley Forge National Historical Park -- but the repair work will continue.

Under orders from the state Department of Environmental Protection, reconstruction of the Wilson Road Force Main sewage pipeine is to start in the next few months, Tredyffrin officials said. However, it is unclear how the bills will be paid.

Tredyffrin's board of supervisors approved an agreement in December that created a cost-sharing formula with Eastttown, East Whiteland, and Willistown Townships and Malvern Borough, which are served by the pipe. But the five municipalities could not agree on terms and are looking at other options, said William Martin, the Tredyffrin Township manager. He declined to elaborate, pending the outcome of negotiations.

The project received the necessary final permits about a month ago. "We're excited it's underway and we can get this repaired and get in and out of the park as soon as possible," Martin said.

Link to source: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160226_Bill_issues_won_t_stop_Valley_Forge_sewer-pipe_repair.html

In three separate sewage-line ruptures in 2012 and 2014, millions of gallons of untreated waste spilled into Valley Forge National Historical Park and a federally protected tributary of the Schuylkill.

In an agreement between Tredyffrin Township and Pennsylvania's Department of Environmental Protection late last year, Tredyffrin officials had until early 2016 to decide on a long-term plan to prevent more sewage spills.

Township officials decided this summer to install a new pipe that will fit into the existing Wilson Road Force Main sewage pipeline, which is nearly 40 years old.

This week, Tredyffrin's board of supervisors approved an agreement to share the costs of fixing the pipeline with the four other municipalities the pipeline serves.

East Whiteland Township officials said they would sign the agreement if several revisions were adopted, including capping the township's share of the project at a little more than $5 million.
On Tuesday, Tredyffrin urged those in Malvern, Easttown Township and Willistown Township to quickly sign agreements.

The agreement Tredyffrin officials approved this week creates a cost-sharing formula based on each municipality's average sewage flows for the last three years and projected future flows.

The Valley Creek Trunk Sewer System transports untreated sewage from the municipalities to the Valley Forge Sewer Authority wastewater-treatment plant in Phoenixville. The Tredyffrin Municipal Authority owns the system, which the township operates on behalf of the other member townships.

Tredyffrin officials called the agreement "a cooperative solution in ensuring the safe operation of the line and the protection of human health and the environment well into the future."

The Department of Environmental Protection found that Tredyffrin and its municipal authority violated the Clean Streams Law when more than 18.3 million gallons of sewage spilled into Valley Creek in 2012 and 2014.

Under Tredyffrin's agreement with the Department of Environmental Protection, the township had to submit an emergency response plan in case of future ruptures to the state agency by last January.

Tredyffrin officials plan for construction to begin in January 2016. Their goal is to finish by early summer to prevent construction from thwarting activities at the national park.

Link to source: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20151223_Agreement_sought_to_share_Chesco_sewer_repair.html

I grow tired of all the fish kills in this creek. We had two in January, it seems man is doing his best to kill this creek but it keeps bouncing back. I fear one of these times it will be the tipping point.

Latest update on the work being done along Valley Creek:

http://6abc.com/news/fixing-pipeline-problems-in-tredyffrin-twp-/1332164/

Does this line being replaced extend outside the park too? Just upstream from the turnpike bridge is some sort of pump station, and I also saw some exposed black pipe lying above ground. I made my annual Valley Creek fishing outing last night, which coincides with the Philly VMWare Users' Convention at the King of Prussia Radisson, and the sewer replacement explains why all the of the detours and road closures were setup in the park. Took an interesting Google Maps inspired detour over Forge Mountain to get to Chesterbrook.

salmonoid wrote:
I made my annual Valley Creek fishing outing last night

Have the Wulffs started popping yet?

Swattie87 wrote:
salmonoid wrote:
I made my annual Valley Creek fishing outing last night

Have the Wulffs started popping yet?

No, but I did see an Odocoileus virginianus hatch. Was waiting for one of the big browns to take it, but it escaped.*

RoMmLNWIHQHAFrjX12YiWIGaFQvBCiC4_yFT9YjNDbD2T0dN7Fk34ZLCsNfXAjlD7gSS3xSUWYS1cob9PLCvYDjWkgthH1dIqNoWzuJXORB7go2bOD56vrXPdDbGSVAiadofFDx3Hr8M4rhZ2vHlAJVIP1tKlNEhAUlsTVhd55c3O2dandnoy6UVw7uPfdiyI0FKSj61lCsDyf0YB30qrIcaagOmfEbHqDrSA0c6rK8jQzEdrxSG6TK4EjCw0w7MekV9XC8jvZfUdST12Hi_ZMw6eLNUqxbKWIGoK_95Ij3y6LT6qVclNq55Uv2VZwIyKkFZS-Fs_dl11L9qVf-aaIBoBYQXkZdTGc24ZeGIzTOavXKgnvQZLtU4bgBNo4LmaJu8cN7Gm1Ghjg7lpPh-Q43qwAYYHEaXpCKPhXa5753aN0_iBKt9XO8qcTvDFcjOL0y0QRFAj37yyq0Oqp9k_SDmRLcdJLS3snVDXlpf_uA6RHdthbbFE1IdZV3Vi6CJ-f3DDJjQC0kkbcP6ZQ3bEVJ50qTb-NyLzjGXdC_5JqzOgK1hvR2D7MyqpNXLRcgI8YKDCaHhyLUIvWG6nsVze3Swyu15-pXY=w1920-h1080-no

* I know the stream has sewage issues, but if a brown had taken that, I'd have made a brown. Note, although my fly line is in the water pointing towards the deer, I am not fishing a deer hair fly (i.e. that deer is real, not an imitation).

How's trout fishing in Valley Creek in the summer time? I haven't fished there in over 30 years.I just got back into fly fishing,and I'm looking for a place to fish when the waters warm up.
Thanks in advance

Maybe this will help,hows the stream temperatures during the summer. I thought the stream was spring fed,which would help to cool the water a bit.
Maybe I'm expecting too much of a cooling affect
to enable summer time fishing?

I don't fish Valley in the heat of the summer. The summer flow level gets very low and the water temps rise.

For summer fishing, just about any stream in the area has a decent amount of smallmouths to fish for along with panfish.

Also for smallmouths, the Delaware River is not far. Starting from Yardley and anywhere upstream is a good place to try.

In addition, it's well worth the trip to the Susquehanna River for a good day of smallie fishing.

Thank you,I was thinking of giving small mouths a shot.Many years ago,a buddy and I used to catch hellgrammites,and then catch tons of small mouth bass with them. The 18th hole on a course I play all the time,has a pond with some nice large mouths in it .Only problem,I'd have to ware a hard hat,while fishing,Lol.
Maybe I'll give it a shot when its raining.
Thanks again.

ralphs007 wrote:
I haven't fished there in over 30 years.I just got back into fly fishing,and I'm looking for a place to fish when the waters warm up.

Agree with Afishinado.

About the time you stopped fishing it, it was taken off the stocking list and now has wild trout.

However, Valley gets pounded all year and I don't recommend it as a good place for beginners. The stream has held up well despite the angling pressure and even more from the environmental assaults the creek has endured (as can be seen further up this thread).
It's worth a visit for old time's sake. . .but I'd agree that summer affords a lot more WW options in the area.

I was checking out Valley Creek today,and the water temp. was only 64 degrees at 12 noon. I used to fish up stream from the covered bridge in the park,near an old iron bridge. I need to find a back way into this spot, since the way I used to get there is closed.
Does anyone know the spot I'm talking about,and how to get there by the back way?

I don't fish the lower end all that much, so I'm not sure the current situation with the postings your talking about. I assume the spot you're talking about is Wilson Rd?

If so, from the covered bridge up to the Wilson Rd bridge, I think you can park at the covered bridge. 50-100 yards to the west of the covered bridge there's a lot along the road.

From above, you can get in there by parking outside of the park and walking down in. Bradford Rd. There's a swimming pool just on the S side of the stream with good parking. Cross the walking bridge, and you hit a trail which parallels the stream, can go up or down. Going down takes you under the turnpike and towards your iron bridge.

007- Thanks for the update on the temps.

You can park at the General Knox lot off 252. Walk down between the barn and the house. There is a small bridge. To the right downstream - coverage bridge. To the left and up the valley is the iron bridge.

How grown up were the meadows and banks?

The covered bridge leading to Yellow Springs Rd has been closed for months for repairs. The parking lot that pcray mentioned, across the bridge along Yellow Springs, has been removed and replanted. A big new parking lot with bathrooms has been created on Wilson Rd. If you walk downhill on Wilson Rd, the iron bridge is there. The Knox HQ parking lot, off 252, is another option, and the iron bridge is a short walk upstream about 1 mile. There are some nice spots to fish along the way.

Thanks everyone for your help. I want to one of my old favorite spots on Church road. I parked at the bridge and walked up stream along the bank. I saw about a half dozen trout,but nothing over 12 inches.
I used to fish down stream from the bridge,but the area was so over grown,the only way down stream,was to walk in the stream.
Down stream from the bridge used to be a beautiful meadow with access to some really nice water. I was wearing shorts today,and since I catch poison ivy,I didn't risk walking through the heavy vegetation to go down stream.
I didn't do any fishing today. I was just on a mission to find some places to trout fish. I couldn't believe the water was 64 deg. at noon. The thermometer I use, is a pretty nice one, that my sister who's a science teacher gave me,so I know I can trust it for accuracy.
I'll have to get back next week,and do some more searching. I'ts been almost 35 years since I fished this area,so my memory about getting around valley creek,is kinda missing,Lol.

To all
I want and checked the stream out today, at Knox HQ parking lot, off 252.I want upstream at the little foot bridge,until I reached Wilson's bridge.I checked the water temp. at several spots,and it was 66 deg.I wasn't fishing,and I hope I avoided poison ivy,in my travels.
Long story short,I got poison ivy on my favorite body part,when I was younger,Lol. I think my golf ball came in contact with some,and somehow, I transferred the oils to little Ralphy,Lol
I did see some trout,and one was around 13 or 14 inches long. The water is very low,but I saw one spot,where it would be almost up to my chest,with fish feeding in the surrounding water.
I'm going to check some other spots,but as far as fishing,I'll wait until the conditions are better.
I'd really like to try the tully this fall at 422 and 222. This is where a guy I met at a local fly shop, recommended me to give a try.

"Tredyffrin officials plan for construction to begin in January 2016. Their goal is to finish by early summer to prevent construction from thwarting activities at the national park."
Does anyone know if the project is completed yet ?
Thanks

No, while 252 is open the knox bridge is still closed and they still have exposed sewer line everywhere.

Back