valley creek

mattmask

hi im a young flyfisherman and have been fishing valley lately with minimal luck. My biggest trout was 8 inches on a zebra midge. That and the rainbow warrior is the only 2 flies that i have luck with and I still dont have too much luck there. Any suggestions as too wat to fish there. I tie myself so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

small nymphs (18-22) & scuds (16 & 18), the lightest tippet you feel comfortable with, and proper presentations.
pick a hole that you can't see the bottom, use an indicator, and devote three times as much time as you normally would on working it - you should catch some fish.

I've had some luck on smaller patterns, size 16 to 20 Beadhead, Soft hackle PT Nymphs. Same with top water, size 20-22 midge patterns I tie up and size 20 Usuals. I've caught smaller fish on size 14-16 CDC and Elks. Best day I had on Valley I hooked and lost two 20 inch+ fish, one took a size 20 PT BH SF PT Nymph, the other a size 20 Snowshoe Emerger. I landed a 16 inch fish which took a size 20 Usual. Needless to say, I haven't had a day like that since then. I haven't hooked any but I've had several larger fish follow bait fish pattern

This time of year tie yourself some grey scuds (14,16,18), various color zebra midges, micro-egg patterns (18 or so), BWO (18,20,22), cream and black surface midges (22, 24), and san juan worms.

For Nymphing: If fishing a low and clear day, use the eggs and zebra midges, normal days use egg and scud, and wet/post rain days use scud and san juan worm. Also think about tying some walts worms in all colors.

Limmit your surface casts to only when you see consistant rises, too many people waste their time with dry's and picky browns at valley, so mainly stick to nymphing (this time of year at least). If your gonna go up top, use light lines, long leaders, and be stealthy.

In general the fish are pretty spooky there, so try to work on 1 or no false casts, and side-arm casting to not spook them with the movement of your rod-tip.

These are just the methods I used and they worked for me. There are many other ways to catch fish there, so just pick and choose from all these posts what works for you so you can develop your own unique style to approching the stream.

Tight lines...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still up for anymore suggestions so keep them coming.

matt,if at fourteen your catching ANYTHING at valley ,your doing well.i've gotten my eyes wiped there more than once.
sowbugs and lightning bugs can work around a size 14.near dusk an olive bugger.muddlers in the rain.

when it is real slow at valley try something traditional but out of favor.royal coachman wet,greenwells glory,wooly worm,etc.some things that the trout might not have seen for a while.you know most of them see a dozen PT and princes a week!

as of 11-10-07...

i was at ridley today and did pretty well. i noticed quite a bit surface or subsurface activity i tried a couple midge patterns but couldnt figure out what they were taking. any idea??
i was successful with wollybuggers, PT,san juan worms, greenweanies.

I am new to this forum and in the past couple of weeks have been trying to read and learn as much as possible.

I recently took a trip to valley creek and stopped along a few places in the park up toward mill park. The water levels were very low and i could not sight any fish.

I was wondering where some of the good locations are along this creek and where to park to access them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up fishing Valley Creek however I have not fished Valley since 1992. Anyway, why don't you try fishing Valley Creek Park which is right off RT 29. They have plenty of parking there, go to the first foot bridge you see, walk downstream for awhile until you get to the stream turns into big lazy S curves. Start fishing there and fish hard all the way to Church Street. Specifically fish some big streamer imitations on rising or receding water at any big sycamore root ball. You can fish below Church Street but I never had any luck after the small stream that enters Valley from the Quarrys. You'll see it the water is bright blue. I don't reckon they fixed that. Or you can fish Little Valley Creek near Rt 252 although Little Valley has always given me fits. Or you can go underneath Rt 202 in the old sewer pipes and fish Valley in Knickerbocker Landfill, Or...

Anyway that ought to be enough.

Back