Valley creek a few questions

marcq

marcq

So lately been staying close to home and fishing valley creek. The fishing has been pretty good but I’m seeing a unreal amount of anglers on the water. I’m one of them so I’m not complaining. I saw a few anglers using bait in the stream. Is the whole stream catch and release artificial only? I didn’t say anything to them and didn’t see any stringers of fish so just kept going.

Also today fished bellow the dam to where the creek dumps into the Schuylkill. Maybe I had a bad day in that section but to me it seems like there are a lack of fish. I can say I saw two browns and one sucker. What gives? I took a few picture of some kind of mineral seeping into the stream. Not sure what it is but maybe it has something to do with it. There a big pipe in the middle of a huge pool too.

zbnS3Ys.jpg

ViwQCpc.jpg

xVsPCTa.jpg

The only special reg on Valley Creek is catch and release. Bait fishing is allowed.

marcq wrote:
So lately been staying close to home and fishing valley creek. The fishing has been pretty good but I’m seeing a unreal amount of anglers on the water. I’m one of them so I’m not complaining. I saw a few anglers using bait in the stream. Is the whole stream catch and release artificial only? I didn’t say anything to them and didn’t see any stringers of fish so just kept going.

Also today fished bellow the dam to where the creek dumps into the Schuylkill. Maybe I had a bad day in that section but to me it seems like there are a lack of fish. I can say I saw two browns and one sucker. What gives? I took a few picture of some kind of mineral seeping into the stream. Not sure what it is but maybe it has something to do with it. There a big pipe in the middle of a huge pool too.

Valley Forge NP is closed. Below is info and a link I posted in another thread >

Valley Forge National Historical Park is currently closed. This closure includes all park roads, parking lots, trails and open spaces. We have made this difficult decision in order to better protect visitors, park employees and the resources that make this place special. Vehicles parked illegally will be ticketed. Vehicles that block emergency vehicle access (such as on roads or in front of gates) will be towed, as they present a serious safety hazard.

Link to source: https://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Certain forms of bait are not allowed in the National Historic Site. Check local regs

As for the iron in the pic, it’s natural.

While on the subject of Valley Ck, note that contrary to the angler lore that you will hear repeated time and time again, Valley Creek’s wild trout population did not develop as a result of stocking cessation. Of the three sites used in developing the present Class A designation, one site was already Class A when stocking was terminated and the other two were on their way. There were no wild trout present in the earlier survey (1977 or 1976) and hardly any (6, I think) trout were found, yet despite continued stocking the stream was well on its way to Class A in 1982.

Mike could you explain why there is such a big difference in population between the different sections. The only thing I can think of is the very long flat section and the dam may cause water to warm or change the water chemistry. The rocks in the lower section were loaded with Caddis and olive baetis. Water looks very fishy too. Deep runs, huge pools, cut banks.

I will stay out of the park till it opens thanks afish

afishinado wrote:
marcq wrote:

Valley Forge NP is closed. Below is info and a link I posted in another thread >

Valley Forge National Historical Park is currently closed. This closure includes all park roads, parking lots, trails and open spaces. We have made this difficult decision in order to better protect visitors, park employees and the resources that make this place special. Vehicles parked illegally will be ticketed. Vehicles that block emergency vehicle access (such as on roads or in front of gates) will be towed, as they present a serious safety hazard.

Link to source: https://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Didn't hear you, I guess... ;)

Don’t know why there would be fewer trout down from the dam if the habitat is good and the water is cold. In the past I don’t recall that the dam made much difference regarding water temps above and below, but maybe that has changed. If there really are less fish below, it could be a case of those fish having developed a behavior of migrating to the Schuylkill in late fall and return when the river warms. As I have noted before there used to be a huge May or June migration of large browns from the river into the stretch below the dam in the 1980’s. The stream would become completely overloaded with large trout. It was well-documented by my sampling crew and was first pointed out to me by a Chester Co fly angler and author of some notoriety. Even now, to go back to that data file would make me shake my head in near disbelief.

coming into this thread late obviously, but where is the dam on Valley Creek that is mentioned. Thanks

Yo mar

Hope the Rangers don't nab you while you are exploring during the pandemic. Maybe the area you're checking out has some large, brown trout eating browns. Two foot long browns have a way of intimidating smaller ones.

Back