Vacation Home Search - Inquiry 1

Luke

Luke

I am getting very serious about the purchase of a vacation home for my family with the plan to offset annual expenses with vacation rental income. So, this is probably the first of many inquiries for opinions about properties and specifically the quality of the local recreational activities including fly-fishing.

I hope that some of you will find this interesting and would be willing to share the experiences of your travels. I will probably only be asking about places that I do not yet know very well.

The prioritized recreational activities (for me, wife, and three kids ages 10, 10, and 12):

100% of These Activities within 40 Minutes
Minimum of 4 Key Activities without Driving
___Swimming - Lake, Pool, or Other
___Exellent Trout Dry-Fly-Fishing
___Trail Biking
___Hiking
___Dining
___Golf
___Kayaking - Lake or River
___Cultural Activities and/or Shopping
___Turkey and Small Game Hunting

And the first property is...

Landisburg, PA

Being in a similar situation (3 young kids at home), the wife and I threw this idea around a few years ago. After a lot of thought we bought a 28' travel camper instead of a vacation home. Why be tied down to one location / area?

Yes there are a lot of differences between a camper and second home along with separate pros-and-cons to both. But a really nice camper is a lot cheaper.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

bjb27_99 wrote:
Being in a similar situation (3 young kids at home), the wife and I threw this idea around a few years ago. After a lot of thought we bought a 28' travel camper instead of a vacation home. Why be tied down to one location / area?

Yes there are a lot of differences between a camper and second home along with separate pros-and-cons to both. But a really nice camper is a lot cheaper.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
good advice---your interests will change ---as will your childrens..

Contact a realtor near the Smoky Mountains National Park. Buy cabin and turn over rental to the realtor/management outfit. Get tax advice on how many days/weeks you can reserve and still have it treated as rental property for income tax purposes. That's all I got.

Thanks Jack, but the Smoky Mountains do not exactly meet my

"Thanks Jack, but the Smoky Mountains do not exactly meet my

Jack,

Yeah, I have a list of about 20 things that I am using for the search. I sure would love to go visit and fish the Smokey Mountains sometime though.

I am trying to get recreational activity (only criteria I've shared) feedback on very specific properties that I am considering to go physically tour with an agent. So, today, my inquiry is about the specific property that I tried to hyperlink at the bottom of my post.

P.S. It seems we were both trying to "straddle the fence" at the same time about that Tiger Trout over the General Forum!

Look forward to meeting you and some other fellows sometime; I have not been able to get to a Jam or meetup yet.

If an RV has a kitchen and bathroom it is considered a second home. That can be a tax advantage.

At the risk of offending county residents.......one of your items on the list is "cultural events / shopping". Not in Perry County. LOL.

Property looks nice though. Loysville is out there too. You'd be fairly close to BS, Letort, YB, some small brookie streams and probably close enough to Penns. If you do any warm water stuff, you'll have plenty of spots to try as well. Good luck w/ your search.

krayfish2 wrote:
At the risk of offending county residents.......one of your items on the list is "cultural events / shopping". Not in Perry County. LOL.

True - but the Carlisle/Camp Hill/Harrisburg area isn't too far away.

I like Perry County: you're under an hour from CV limestoners, lots of big state forest and mountain streams, lots of hunting, bass/kayaking in the Juniata, Little Buffalo Lake - many of the same opportunities you'd find upstate. Good area IMO.

Wow!! I love that listing - 11 acres as well!! In my area that would be $500,000!!

How about a cabin at Pine Grove Furnace? Brookie fishing everywhere and the CV limestones and the fabulous upper Breeches over the hill. I'll help you maintain it.

That's a lot of priorities that must be met.
And the main reason I've never wanted to own a cabin anywhere.

To me, there are just so many good places to fish all over the state - and I like to try to hit them all over the course of a season.
Just like diversity I guess.

And, there is almost always going to be some upkeep with owning a cabin.
I've got plenty of that at home - more that I want for sure.
Can't imagine having a second place to look after.
That would seriously cut into my fishing time.

Also cabins are prime targets for break ins if they are fairly isolated.

Does anybody have any personal experiences fishing the trout streams that are closest to this property? If so, I would appreciate anything that you could share by IM or otherwise. Thanks.

Laurel Run: Is on the property about 3 miles below where it exits the State Forest. Based on maps, it is not rated as class A, is not stocked, and has not special regulations. I am assuming that it must have some naturally reproducing wild trout then, or be privately stocked? Does the stream have any decent hatches?

Doubling Gap Run
Shaeffer's Run (WBTE Special Regulation)

Luke, I live in Newport. Close to Loysville and FI was spot on.I'm not a small stream guy so I have no info on those streams

If you are serious about the house why not visit the area for the weekend and see for yourself? Try to fish the stream too. Why buy a house if you are not somewhat familiar with the area. That would be foolish IMO.

Luke wrote:
Does anybody have any personal experiences fishing the trout streams that are closest to this property? If so, I would appreciate anything that you could share by IM or otherwise. Thanks.

Thumbs up on the streams in that part of Perry Co (they're small - if you like the rugged, little gemmie game). PM me for details if desired.

I agree that you ought to spend some time visiting the area. There's camping in some of the nearby state parks like Col Denning.

We own shares in a "hunting cabin" (more of a vacation resort because the area is so nice) up in Tioga county, just outside of the Susquehannock State Forest. Slate Run, Kettle Creek, Pine Creek, and Hammersley Fork are all within 1 hour from the area, not to mention the fact that every little trickle has brook trout, many of which are classified as Class A. Hammersley Wild Area is one of the largest state forests that is unbroken by roads on the East Coast. Allegheny State Forest is also fairly close by.

Also very close by is the PA grand canyon, which has a very long bike trail and kayaking opportunities. I have golfed and dined around but I can't really talk about the quality because I'm no expert in either area. Wellsboro is a nice gaslight town nearby that is probably good for shopping.

Edit: It is right on the edge of Tioga, so much closer to Potter county. And it's also close to Lyman Run State Park, which has a swimming lake and decent fishing.

Back