V-Worm Pattern?

R

RLeep2

I'm looking for a pattern for the V-Worm worm fly for bass. It uses medium size ultra chenille. It caught my eye in the Feather-Craft catalog (see: https://www.feather-craft.com/medium-ultra-chenille) as something I could fish in lakes on a sink tip for LMB and also in flowing water for SMB with a floating line. It's a pretty simple fly and I'm sure I could tie something close from the photo by eyeball, but would much prefer an actual pattern to use.

But I can't find one anywhere on the world famous inter-tubes. So, like the guy who is all dressed up with nowhere to go, I have all this medium ultra chenille (I bought like six different colors) and no way to use it.

Any wisdom appreciated..

Tks!
RLP

I just checked their catalog. They don't even sell it in their fly section anymore. I think it's fallen out of favor as a bass fly. I did find a V-fly pattern on sale at riverbum.com, but it looks like it has a dubbed body rather than a wrapped chenille one.
It is an easy fly to tie. I used it for this pattern for weakfish. It was supposed to imitate purple fire-tail plastic worm threaded onto a red and white buck. It looks like it's going to show up at the end of this.

Hook- size 1 to 1/0

Tail- 4-6 inch piece of ultra chenille tipped with marabou

Body- Wrapped ultra chenille.

The hardest part is tying on the marabou tip.
Step 1
1. place a sewing needle in your vise jaws
2. make a few wraps on the needle just behind the point
3. lay the chenille on the the needle wrap it in place
4. Lay the marabou on the chenille and wrap it in place
Make sure the wraps cover both the marabou and chenille.
5. Whip finish and slide the material off the needle.
6. Put a light coat of UV resin or head cement on the wraps. It will keep the marabou in place.
Step 2
Wrap down the tail portion on top of the hook shank.
Step
Tie in the chenille for the body on the hook shank just in front of the bend. Wrap forward toward the hook eye. Build a small thread head, whip finish, coat with head cement.

Attachments

• Weakfish buck tail.jpg
    Weakfish buck tail.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Jerry for all the detail and the pic. Much appreciated... I've done the marabou puff tail thing back when I went through this same
adventure with worms made of grande estaz. I never thought of
doing the thing with the needle. Instead. I clamped the end of the estaz in the vise, paralyzed it in place with a tiny drop of super glue and tied the marabou to that. The needle sounds better.. I'll try it.

Thanks again,

RLPII

Back