Using a Battenkill LA for Bluewater?

trevor

trevor

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Battenkill LA. Would you think them appropriate for tuna, marlin, etc.

The older versions don't have much backing capacity. Something to consider. The drags are also more suited to freshwater IMO.

Kev

the largest model would work for smaller tuna 100 lb or less, I have a medalist that I have used for year on smaller tuna and sails and it only holds 30 yds. of backing. marlin even small ones needs a good reel with a really good brake system

Thank you for your response. I only plan on using it for Tuna around 30 lbs. After seeing what a 100 lb tuna can do to conventional tackle... I would be very hesitant to try for one with anything but the very best fly tackle.

Any suggestions for a good, tough 13 wt rod?

No way a Old Orvis battenkill will handle a 30# tuna. I have extensive experience catching tuna from 10 pounds to over 400. I have caught atleast 75-100 tuna in the 25-50 pound class range most on Penn International 30 TW's spooled with 50# mono. A 30 pound tuna pulls and runs like nothing else. I would rate a 30 pound tuna against a 150 pound tarpon anyday. A 30# tuna will absolutely blow up a battenkill. It would take about 10 seconds and then you would have no drag. Tuna are no joke. You need something with atleast 200 yards of 50 pound backing, and something that can hold real drag pressure for a multiple long runs. The problem with the battenkill is the drag is extremely weak. They are OK for inshore stuff, pike musky etc. However to survive in the bluewater you need something built for it. Stick with Abel, Tibor, Penn International Reels etc. Atleast when you blow it up and have nothing to fish with after 10 seconds Orvis will replace it for you.

Agree with the above. I know for a fact that the gear required for off shore big game fly fishing is not affordable for me. A tuna will most likely mutilate the reel in seconds imo.

Just so you guys know, this isn't an "old Battenkill", it is Orvis latest Large arbor edition, advertised as a big game reel. Now that is advertising, and I don't expect much of it. I also have experience fighting tuna, and know how strong they can be (I am a mate on an OC MD charter boat). I figured for just over a hundred bucks it's worth a shot. Mark Sampson recommended this reel to me, and I definitely trust him, so I'll see how it goes.

Well there you go. $100 reel for tuna up to 100 pounds. I almost fell off my chair. If you truly are a mate then you would now that tuna require serious gear. As an offshore veteran who owned my own boat for over 20 years all I can say is that the Tuna I fought in the Gulf Stream off the North Carolina Coast must be alot tougher. I blew up a penn international 2.5G on a 35 pounder. Hey give it a try. Just because they adverstise it doesn't mean it can handle it. Like I said if it breaks then you can return it.

I didn't say anything about tuna up to 100 lbs, I said up to 30. And I am a mate, and realize what a tuna can do. It's just that I am relatively new to fly fishing, so I'm not always sure about what fly gear is top quality.

Give it a shot, if it blows up its a 100 bucks and you can return it and spend it on other gear. If I was paying to go out it would be a little different and I would look to get a better reel. At least it won't be your only trip. Let us know how long it takes to blow up when it does or after its handled a substantial # of fish. Good luck and look out for the 25 off 50 coupons to save a few bucks.

Thanks, man. I figure at worst it will be a good Striper reel.

Not being very familiar with state of the art FFing gear, my opinion on this probably isn't worth much. Reading this thread a couple days ago, out of curiosity, I looked up the Orvis catalog to check out the Batten Kill LA. It appears that the largest version (I think the Model VI?) is configured for a 13WT line and holds over 500 yards of 35lb gelspun backing. Reels over 12WT are usually associated with blue water fishing and large flies. I would think a 13WT with 500 yards would be adequate for small BFTs in the #30 range.
Bigger BFTs in the 70-100# class would likely be a different story.
Not sure about the drag. A decade or so ago, most premium salt reels had cork, but now it seems various composite drags are seen to be the standard. As others have said, you can trust Orvis to replace it if it gets burned.

Thanks for all your opinions, I actually returned the reel. I'll save up for something better.

Even if Orvis does stand behind it, I don't want to head out with gear I have very minimal confidence in. I figure better to just screw it and one day buy a Tibor or Abel.

got ya... you're about 6 months or so late, i had a tibor i sold for about 1/2 price a few months ago... If you go tibor get the newer one with the quick release spool or just get an abel.

Back