USGS water level map

S

steve98

I was just looking at the USGS water level map.
Does anyone know what is considered to be good gauge height and discharge CFF. ?
So I can get an idea of the water level and flow before I arrive at the stream.
I was looking at the station near Cross Fork for Kettle CK.

Thanx in advance,
Steve98

Good is all relative to the location of the gauge and what conditions you want to fish in. 200-300cfs is "good" for Kettle (unless you want riproaring, muddy conditions, to toss a streamer into). I use that gauge as a proxy for other streams in the northern tier and some of them are even fishable when the Cross Fork gauge is at 2800cfs..

300cfs on the lower Susquehanna guages = bad news.

What is a good CFS is relative to the stream you are on, and how big it is.

Agree that Kettle fishes best in the 200-300 range, maybe up to 400 or so. Above that and it starts getting tough to navigate/wade.

300 CFS in a small mountain run is big time blown out. 300 CFS on a big river is a trickle. 300 cfs on Kettle Creek, is perfect.

In order to use the gauges to your advantage you need to correlate what a certain flow rate means in terms of conditions when you're there. Next time you fish Kettle, take a note of what the gauge is and go from there.

Someone of the nerd persuasion could probably figure out a ratio of cfs/square mile of drainage area for these gauges for optimal fishing conditions.

If you figure it out, please let us know.

troutbert wrote:
Someone of the nerd persuasion could probably figure out a ratio of cfs/square mile of drainage area for these gauges for optimal fishing conditions.

If you figure it out, please let us know.

I've thought about this too, though it's not an exact science across the board...

I generally want to fish smaller streams in relatively higher flows, and bigger streams in lower flows (relative to their size) for the best fishing/wading conditions.

For example, a small stream gauge I use sometimes as a proxy for small streams in the Poconos is Swiftwater Creek. Swiftwater's watershed at the gauge is 6.59 sq miles. I like Swiftwater at 30 CFS for ideal small stream fishing in the Poconos. That calculates out to 4.55 CFS/sq mile.

Kettle Creek at Cross Fork, which I'd call a "medium" sized stream, I like at 300 CFS. Its watershed at the Cross Fork gauge is 136 sq miles...2.21 CFS/sq mile.

The Big J, at Newport, for WW fishing, I like at 1000 CFS. Watershed size there is 3,354 sq miles. 0.30 CFS/sq mile.

Gradient can effect things too. The steeper the stream, the lower you want the flow relative to streams of the same watershed size with less gradient. But the above is a rough guide.

Also, generally speaking in Fall, Winter, and Spring you can use nearby gauges to make pretty accurate guesses about streams that don't have a gauge on them. (Once you correlate flows on the proxy gauge with actual on stream conditions.) This is because most weather systems during those seasons in PA are broader scale systems that drop fairly consistent amounts of precipitation over larger areas. In Summer, Tstorms are the main form of precipitation in PA. And with Tstorms, one watershed can get 2" of rain, and the next ridge over 2 miles away gets nothing.

Edit: Are you calling me a nerd?

Swattie87 wrote:
In order to use the gauges to your advantage you need to correlate what a certain flow rate means in terms of conditions when you're there. Next time you fish Kettle, take a note of what the gauge is and go from there.
Great advice there. I generally use Kettle's numbers to tell me if I'm fishing streams in that area.

Back