USGS gage for Little Lehigh

V

Van_Cleaver

Anyone else notice this just isn't working? Not sure how to report it but it is hard to believe the last couple rains didn't effect it. Jordan Creek is ripping but the L.L. is well below median. Not likely!

I thought the same thing, but my parents live just up the street from the LL, and they said they hardly got any rain at all.

I live 15 minutes away from them (northeast), and we got clobbered by the tornado, rain, and hail on Tuesday afternoon.

Just tried to call Dave at the fly shop, but he either got flooded out, or just slept in today.

I'll try to post an update when I find out more....

OK, here's the skinny on this.....

The bulk of the storms went just to the North of the LL.

The gauge to follow isn't the 10th St one. However, since the dam removals, it's reading low. The gauge can still be used to give an indication of flow spikes, and there just hasn't been one.

The LL is very low, and very fishable. Have at it.

Here's a good hint - we've seen some amazing hex hatches at night around here. I'd try a huge rusty spinner (say size 4 or 6) at dusk. That should bring the big boys out. ;-)

It ain't broke...it's balls low

It's so low you can see every rock and a few fish, lots of tricos.

The storm on Tuesday missed the watershed completely, it just illustrates when they say scattered showers, how scattered they are. The storm Tuesday missed me completely, as the crow flies I bet I'm within 2 miles of the LL on the other side of South Mountain. According to NWS, the Airport received .52 inch of rain Tuesday and .33 inches on Wednesday. The grand scheme of things that's not much rain speed over 2 days during very hot weather.
Last night at the Promenade Shops there was a downpour, meanwhile less then 2 miles away at home not a drop fell.

Thanks for all the info! I live an hour South and not only did we get over four in. of rain here recently, the radar showed a few storms going right over the Allentown area. Just goes to show how isolated some of the heavy pockets of rain can be. So to the USGS; don't fix it, apparently it's ain't broke.

I walked the dogs along the LL this morning and it is indeed low and clear.Saw next to NO tricos and saw very little surface activity.I walked the stretch above the nursery from the second parking lot down to about 100 yds below the flat bridge at the fly shop.
Yesterday I was walking along the Covered Bridge park area on the Jordon and the stream was flowing great,very fishable and looking good for this time of year.

Does the little lehigh drop quickly after a storm? Noticed a spike right now, should it be fishable tomorrow morning?

Thanks

LL is already dropping and the rain is over, at 110 CFS it is fine to fish. But to answer the question, yes it does drop fast.

troutwilleatflies,

I was talking to you today correct? You were walking 2 dogs? I believe we talked twice?

Water was slightly up yesterday, a little stained. Got on the water at 6am nice hatch when we first started out, shut down around 1015 or so. Picked up some more fish on midges in the afternoon. Great weather to be out fishing.

Attachments

• LL 71015 003.JPG
    LL 71015 003.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 3
Back