Upstate New York smallie and pike fishing camps

S

Striperbobby

does anyone have a fish camp they recommend for big smallies and pike in New York? I’m looking for inexpensive places that offer rustic cabins or tent sites on a lake. I can’t afford a lodge or anything luxurious and I also don’t want a guide. I have a canoe, kayak, and Jon boat. I am a little crazy so I would probably fish 23 hours per day so I don’t need to be near any tourist attractions or fancy restaurants. Thanks for any info you might have.

The only specific camp I can think of offhand is this one on Kiwassa Lake (in the Saranac Lakes area/chain):

You can rent cabins that have their own dock, and I believe there's a launch on site.

I am sure a little Googling would turn up many others like this. It might make sense to start with a lake/area and then look for cabins/cottages (which can also sometimes be billed as a "hotel" up here but are actually just a string of cabins).

I've also had pretty good luck finding Airbnbs with docks. Their search function has a "waterfront" search option, and I've found pretty great deals (especially if you're just focused on fishing and are willing to forego luxuries... like indoor plumbing).

Oh, I missed that you were also open to tent camping. That opens up a lot of options, including some paddle-in spots. Search for DEC campgrounds around the Saranac Lakes or Raquette Lake, if that area has any appeal. There are a number of very inexpensive state campgrounds with tent sites right on the water.

senaca has a state park you can camp at. also good pike and smallie fishing

If you are going that far, consider the rideau lake and river region near Kingston, Canada. Large and small mouth, big pike and walleye. It’s been years, but they take sportsmanship and conservation seriously, so the fishing is between great and excellent.

Dear Striperbobby,

If you want small mouth, Northern Pike, and the occasional walleye or two there is no finer water to fish than the NB Susquehanna River in my opinion. There are several places that offer chances for musky too.

Anywhere from Windsor NY to Laceyville PA is worth fishing. There are many places to access the river from wade fishing to paved boat launches. If you brought your jon boat and it has an outboard you can pretty much have the run of the river when water levels are 3 ft at the USGS gauge in Vestal NY. There are several smaller rivers that are tributaries to the North Branch that offer the same fish species.

If you check AirBnB there is someone who rents a camper on the river right upstream from Hickories Park in Owego NY. Hickories Park is a nice town park that offers a campground with hook-ups and a paved boat launch. There are other rentals along the river to check out too.

I lived on the Susquehanna in Windsor NY for 11 years. I left the area for a job and have been kicking myself in the butt for doing it for almost 25 years. It's not the most remote experience you can find in Upstate NY, but the fishing is lights out. Message me if you are interested in more details.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

North end of lake Champlain has lots of big smallies and there are pike too. Plattsburgh and north on the New York side and north of Burlington on Vermont side. Awesome scenery to boot. Not sure about all the lodging but there are some camprounds and I’m sure with some searching you could find air b/b or cabins. Plattsburgh has lots of hotels. Good luck

Back