Upper Savage Exploration Brook Trout

3wt7X

3wt7X

With all the recent brook trout topics in the general forum, I figured that I would represent the "old line state." The high water caused my originally planned trip to Penns Creek to turn into a Savage River trip, which then turned into a Upper Savage River tributary trip. Not a big deal, it has been a big goal of mine for a couple years to explore some more brookie water in that area. It did not let me down. I fished three different licks/runs and all produced beautiful and good sized natives on a yellow foam caddis dry fly. I will let the pictures do the talking, but I will add that I finished on the Upper Savage, which was nice enough to produce a fat 12 incher on a March Brown Nymph.

Attachments

• US1.jpg
    US1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 12
  • US2.jpg
    US2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 5
  • US3.jpg
    US3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 7
  • US4.jpg
    US4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
  • US5.jpg
    US5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
  • US6.jpg
    US6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • US7.jpg
    US7.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 6
Here are the last two

Attachments

• US8.jpg
    US8.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
  • US9.jpg
    US9.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 6
Great fish! Thanks for sharing..

lovely photos - i gotta get out to the savage some time this summer whilst in VA.

Very nice.

A lot of nice brookies! I logged over 6 miles this past week in the Savage watershed. There are so many little streams chocked full of trout there. I think the regulations are really helping the brook trout.

Tucker733 wrote:
A lot of nice brookies! I logged over 6 miles this past week in the Savage watershed. There are so many little streams chocked full of trout there. I think the regulations are really helping the brook trout.

Were the regs changed in recent years? If so, from what to what?

The 100+ miles of stream watershed, besides a small section of the upper river and impoundment, has a zero-creel catch and release regulation on brook trout with artificial lures only. Don't quote me but I think that this went into effect in '06 or '07.

Can never have enough brookie posts ;-) Those are some great fish, nice job! The second one is my favorite.

The point is often made that freestone brookies will (mostly) be small due to lack of food. However, this isn't always the case. These fish - after a very tough winter - are clearly very healthy and very fat. That watershed is fertile and not hit hard by acid issues or other such limitations and rock rolling reveals a lot of bugs. The fish grow big and fat. Every now and then, on the MD DNR website, a pic will turn up of a wild brookie over a foot long from western MD. It's a great area....not to mention a heckuva lot easier to fish without all the rhododendron that seems to magically appear as soon as you cross the Mason Dixon Line. :roll:

Good sized fish and beautiful scenery! Very nice!!!

i'm not sure if its the way you took the pictures but those two stream pictures make it seem like you had a lot of uphill hiking to do!

That's some great looking natives, the way they would grow if better protected in PA.

Back