Upper Penns Creek

wbranch

wbranch

In all my years living on PA I have only fished Penns Creek twice and both times I fished the lower end near Weikert. I drove as far as I could and parked in a gravel area and had to walk about one half mile to get to what the fly shop guy called the "Ranger Cabin". I can't walk that far anymore on uneven terrain.

I'd like to go in at the upper end, the Coburn area? How do I get to area where the Tunnel section is? Is there ample parking? About how far from where I would park to where I could access the river? Is it a level entrance to the river? A slope, of a steep hill that I wouldn't be able to negotiate?

I know my way well on Route 322 to get me to Bellefonte. I remember once cutting off 144 and bearing right and after a lengthy ride it took me to Coburn. Is that the only way in to the Tunnel section? Thanks in advance.

What are you calling the "tunnel section?" Like near Poe Paddy? The old train tunnel?

I don't fish Penns too often either even though I'm very close to it..I do love it, though. When you said "upper Penns" I figured you meant around Spring Mills or so.

There is a tunnel in Coburn too but I think that is all private property. Not sure if you can park around there anymore.

Matt -

I don’t fish Penns in the Coburn area, only in the Poe Paddy area, and the tunnel there, if that’s the area where you are interested in knowing about. In my opinion, Penns in that area is anything but easy access and wading. I don’t think you’d feel comfortable fishing there, although it is certainly beautiful scenery, and can be good fishing.
John

P.S. there are several ways to get to Penns Creek in the Poe Paddy tunnel area. I’d have trouble easily explaining the directions here. Perhaps others can give you those directions. ? My suggestion would be to locate Poe Paddy on a detailed map, and then look up the roads going in there from Reedsville or Milroy, which would be the closest way there for you when coming from Harrisburg up 322.

I probably should of phrased my inquiry differently. Let me try again.
How does one get to access Penns Creek other than at the Weikert area? And if one gets to Coburn is there a public road that is relatively close to the river for so I could possibly find a place to park and fish?

I Googled it and have figured out the quickest way to get to Coburn from York. 2 hours 7 minutes.

wbranch, there is tons of easy access in and around Coburn. Above the confluence with Elk is wide open to public fishing, but stocked. The road runs along the creek. There are dozens of pull-offs.

To reach the areas below the confluence, you cross the stream in Colburn the stream runs along the road with, again, numerous pull-offs. Very little posted property for at least a couple miles all the way to the terminus where there is a parking area for about 10-15 cars.

You can walk downstream on a trail from there for several miles.

Penn's Creek is extremely accessible in this area.

Good luck!

As Jack M posted above, Penns is very accessible in Coburn below the bridge and some easy access. Id say it would be worth your time to travel from the york area. You could also stop in at the Feathered Hook fly shop in Coburn on the main street. They could provide any info you may need also.

I recommend going to Poe Paddy State Park. The access there is on public land.

The online driving directions websites will direct you there.

The only drawback is driving some miles of gravel road. But it's a scenic area.

Below Coburn, all the access is on private land, including the parking lot at the end of the road. That parking lot by the footbridge is on privately owned land that is generously left open, but it is small and it often fills up.

I'd also chime in, since you mentioned you can't or don't want to walk far. Try to avoid fishing this creek alone just for safety purposes. big slick rocks in the creek. But I've fished Coburn area a few times, plenty of access, some walking required. good luck if you get out.

Another suggestion...If you are up in age and have some concerns with wading ---> Wait until low flows in the fall. I find Poe Paddy section of Penns easier to wade then.

Below Coburn down to wooden bridge where parking lot is used to be fantastic. These days guides seem to hog much of that section especially the easily accessible parts. Also some very prickly landowners when you get down road where the camps are along creek. It's not quite as bad during off season but during normal times I just don't bother anymore. Many fond memories though.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice relative to my question. I have a young friend, 43 years old, who helps me negotiate difficult access. Probably going tomorrow.

Good luck to you WB! I hope you enjoy your trip!

I guess this should of been one of my first questions - Is the Coburn area open to fish now??? It might be nice water but I don't want to get a citation for fishing closed water.

After viewing the flow of 710 cfs I'm going to wait until the flows level out to less than 500 before I venture up there. Spring Creek looks like a much better option for tomorrow.

If you have any apprehension about wading, Penns can be challenging even at low flows. Be careful and aware of your surroundings. There are some riffles ingelby that could be fished from the bank, but this still would require a decent walk. I would recommend stopping in at the feathered hook, buy some flies or gear and explain your situation. I am sure they will point you in the right direction. Bruce at the flyshop in the old postoffice in weikert could also point you in the right direction.

Back